Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury: Is it the car or the brand on the car?(Hyundai Equus related)

Old 04-08-10, 08:38 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Is it just me or the Equus looks fantastic in those pics. I'm shocked the grill is larger than the S-class.

Agreed. Not sure why anyone would make fun of people that buy based on badge, it is their money and their right. Clearly the brands they are after have become aspirational enough were people WANT it.

Its bigger than cars. Neighorhoods, watches, even working for a company people want to associate with respected and desired brands.

There are those that don't care or it isn't as important and they are the minority of luxury buyers.

LUXURY IS NOT LOGICAL.
Luxury is excess. Successful people want to be associated with successful brands.

Every year we post the data and Porsche, BMW, Lexus, Benz score the highest in regards to luxury and perception and it is WELL EARNED.

Who are you Carlos Ghosen's illegitimate son?

Joe has a point, Acura/Infiniti are STRUGGLING and if Hyundai aims with precision they will be even more redundant then they already are.

Last year Infiniti in the bottom 5 in perception.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...nd-perception/

The year before Acura dead last in perception

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=435679

They both have a lot of opportunities here. FYI I like the Infiniti lineup.
calm down guy. it was a joke.
i've seen your many posts where you even brag yourself about how you predict x, y and z and it came true.

Old 04-08-10, 08:44 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Great video.

Wow, there's a lot of car ignorant people out there (already knew that though)

At this point, the Genesis has been out for a while and these people are still shocked that this could be a Hyundai? Anyway...
Old 04-08-10, 08:45 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd rather buy the better car. So if that better car is from an established luxury car maker good. If happens to be a Hyundai so be it. I's also have to consider what it would look like modified.
Old 04-08-10, 08:46 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Needs to be BOTH, the luxury car market is VERY brand conscious ......
Old 04-08-10, 09:04 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
my other favorite part of the video was when he asked the balding guy what he drives.

guy: I drive a lexus es350 (with smug look on face)
host: what did you drive before that?
guy: I don't remember (what i drove 3 years ago).

He's quick to name drop Lexus. But is ashamed to say what he drove 3 years ago.

again, badge whoring. But lexus badge whoring still doesn't have the whoring prestige as benz and bmw do.
I could care less about the "luxury" and "prestige" of an MB and BMW.

The Lexus is a far smarter choice than either one.

IMO a fair number of MB and BMW owners are in dreamland.

There is a very good reason why Toyota is bigger and better than either company.

Hyundai is going to get there but is not there yet.

"Luxury" is always going to be comprised (in large part) of perception.

Last edited by Autobacs; 04-08-10 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 09:26 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I guess i should've said 'bold' prediction.

I always wonder what the brand will be like in 5 years. actually, that's how i was trained to think when dealing with the brands. 5 years really is a long time.

take a time machine with me and let's go back to 2005. what did you see in Hyundai? probably nothing much. they were non-threatening, good value brand, but many of us probably thought hyundai was clearly inferior to the top competition. i know hyundai was getting better, but never thought i would put hyundai in a same sentence with my fallen Honda. in 2005, i was driving 03 honda accord and 03 acura MDX. and i never really thought about hyundai or talked about hyundai. to me they were a decent cars that i would never drive. i did like tiburon which i thought looked great for its price, but other than that they really were an average brand. good quality, pedestrian design, good fit/finish, but clearly lacked personality and imagination. and of course, the ghost of Excel still overshadowed the decent quality of the product.

i wonder what kind of cars hyundai will make in 2015. they could follow Honda and screw up the design and waste money on weird looking cars. it maybe all downhill from all the attention and momentum of today. who knows?

but if hyundai continues to grow and get better every year, i can really see hyundai becoming a true player. and whenever that day comes they really should spend billions and launch the new brand. I can't only imagine how badly they want to move on to the next chapter which is creating a first Korean luxury brand. Genesis, Equus, supercharger, V8 and etc are clear indication that they have every intention to make the luxury brand in the future. it makes sense because their goal is to become the best brand in the world. Toyota has their Lexus. Hyundai should have their luxury brand when the time comes.
Old 04-08-10, 09:35 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Very similar way that Toyota started decades ago.

A value bang for the buck car to what it is now.

They somewhat mirrored Japan's rise as a global economic power which has been second only to the US for the longest time.

Hyundai certainly can get there in the same way as Korea is moving up in the global economic power spectrum.
Old 04-09-10, 02:29 PM
JessePS

Hyundai is keen to crack the luxury market with its new Equus flagship but convincing customers that a brand known for bargain basement prices can also be upscale will certainly be a challenge. With an expected pricetag of roughly $55,000, the Equus is considerably more expensive than any other Hyundai before it but there will be some bonuses for customers.

In addition to the generous feature list, which will include premium features such as a rear-seat footrest, rain-repellent window glass, power sun shades, and massage systems built into the driver's seat and rear seat, Equus customers will also benefit from a number of services.

Some of these services will include free at-home pickup of their cars for servicing and a free loaner Equus when their car is in the shop. Equus customers will also receive an Apple iPad with the car’s logbook preloaded which they can use to stay in touch with the dealership.

Potential customers will also get star treatment, with dealers bringing Equus demo cars to their doorstep for a personal presentation of the features. If the customer eventually buys the car, dealers will also return to discuss the Equus’ performance.

Dealers will be meeting Alabama later this month for special training to deal with Equus customers.
(Courtesy of Motor Authority)
Old 04-09-10, 02:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^

Sounds like Hyundai is willing to bring Equis to potential customers homes just to keep them out of their fast-food-joint-like dealerships
Old 04-09-10, 06:28 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt Hyundai is putting out some good product lately. Although I think they seriously need to start their own luxury brand to really be able to cash in. No one is going to want to pay $60K for a car and have someone ask them "so what do you drive?" Then when you reply "a Hyundai", the other guy goes "me too, I have an Accent" I think the biggest problem I would have would be the not the car, but the owner's experience. I've walked into the Lexus dealer numerous times for service, and I get offered cookies, cappucino, etc. You get to sit in a fancy room with leather seats and flat screen TV's. I went into a Hyundai dealership with a friend of mine when she was buying a car and we didn't even get offered a soda or water!!!!

It's sad that America's perception of luxury depends on the badge on the front. I have a friend that would drive the Genesis or new Sonata all day long if it had the Toyota "T" on the grill. If she had a chance to drive one, I'm sure she would like it better then her 2nd Camry, but as soon as you tell her it's a Hyundai, she'll tell you she'd rather walk that own one.
Old 04-15-10, 05:34 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

where did other Equus thread go?

anyway Rendered speculation. Equus Coupe. why not?

Old 04-15-10, 05:41 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

^Love the rear, hate the front.

And LOL @ the VS460 moniker (deformed LS460?).
Old 04-15-10, 05:51 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Thumbs up

I agree with everyone's definition of luxury.

Was it acura that used the term "value luxury" or something along that line?

It fits hyundai right now very well.
We'll wait on the final pricing, but if it's just a mere $10k away from an LS, then it's nowhere a value anymore.

I find myself staring at the equus when I see one on the road, I guess b/c all of the flagships are getting a little boring/common I guess.

The combination of the MKZ front grill, old RL taillights and LS exhaust- I like it alot
Old 04-15-10, 05:54 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mister Two
^Love the rear, hate the front.

And LOL @ the VS460 moniker (deformed LS460?).

Evil brother.
Old 04-15-10, 07:11 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ecr527
No doubt Hyundai is putting out some good product lately. Although I think they seriously need to start their own luxury brand to really be able to cash in. No one is going to want to pay $60K for a car and have someone ask them "so what do you drive?" Then when you reply "a Hyundai", the other guy goes "me too, I have an Accent" I think the biggest problem I would have would be the not the car, but the owner's experience. I've walked into the Lexus dealer numerous times for service, and I get offered cookies, cappucino, etc. You get to sit in a fancy room with leather seats and flat screen TV's. I went into a Hyundai dealership with a friend of mine when she was buying a car and we didn't even get offered a soda or water!!!!

It's sad that America's perception of luxury depends on the badge on the front. I have a friend that would drive the Genesis or new Sonata all day long if it had the Toyota "T" on the grill. If she had a chance to drive one, I'm sure she would like it better then her 2nd Camry, but as soon as you tell her it's a Hyundai, she'll tell you she'd rather walk that own one.
Well, with the Equus, you can tell that Hyundai itself doesn't want the car to be associated with Hyundai. Similar to the Genesis, it takes styling and design cues from various other luxury brands.

Also, I don't think I see a single Hyundai badge anywhere. On the front, rear, and even the steering wheel, they have the Equus badge, but not a Hyundai script "H."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Luxury: Is it the car or the brand on the car?(Hyundai Equus related)