Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Not happy with Toyota service right now

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 04:26 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not happy with Toyota service right now

Ok, so I bring my Toyota truck into get serviced, the usual girl is not there so I settle for the service advisor with the least tenure at the joint.

First off. 16k ago, the service personale told me I need a new serpentine belt. I said, ok, I wil do it next time. Nobody mentioned it again from then on, this will be important at the end.

Now on to the service, the maintanance service is going to be $136 plus tax. Nobody told me the price went up on the service.

Then, service guys tells me "I will call you when the service is half way done one"...mmm, I said, don't call me unless you have to.

I come back to pick up my truck.

1. "Hello sir, you are going need a new steering gear, cost is $1400 plus tax for parts and labour"..."Toyota will install a refurbished unit"...I said, will my truck survive the next while, his answer "Yes it will, but likely it won't fail for a long while but the mechanic noticed a slight leak"....I started scratching my head on this one.

2. "You also need a new right rear brake shoe".....I said ok, then he tells me the price "$600 for both left and right rear shoes and drum"...I said "you never mentioned I need both, you only said right rear"....He says "don't do a 1/2 a$$ job"....

I then get ready to pay for my $136 service, I asked, "How is my serpentine belt?".....

His anwser "Its fine, it looks good"

With all that being said, I did get to check out a mint condition mid 90's LS400. Almost no cracks in the leather, it was clearly in for service, what a great car during its time. It was parked next to a mid 80's Ferrari inside that was owned by the dealer and collected dust while summer tires and rims surrounded the car.

Last edited by pagemaster; 04-06-10 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 12:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

go to another dealer? complain to the manager?
Old 04-07-10, 01:05 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
go to another dealer? complain to the manager?
I really like the place I am going. I didn't have the usually woman I deal with who never gives me a hassle. I believe she is a service manager as well but I am not sure.

I want to just see if the next time I go in, will they tell me that everything is ok

We will see what happens.

on the good news side, at the same dealer on the same day, my dad took his 4runner in to get his timing belt changed. They noticed that the waterpump bearing were worn and they replaced it under extended warranty without him needing to ask..

Last edited by pagemaster; 04-07-10 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-07-10, 01:48 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like just the one guy giving you the hassle. go back to your regular person.
Old 04-07-10, 03:29 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What Toyota Dealer is this?

Ford did that with me when I owned a Lincoln LS (By the way, never consider one). Every time is was in for service, I needed 3-4 things extra on top of what I came in for, which they could never find a problem with. When I would ask on my next visit... which was normally every 2 week with this car... all the parts brought up for question were ok. I traded my Lincoln LS with 37,000 miles on it because at 36,500 miles my window motors went bad for the 6th time, the alternator went bad, and I always got hassled to buy into new service plans with bad service.
Old 04-07-10, 05:14 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you need to tell THEM what they need to fix, not the other way around....otherwise dealers will always do this to you.
Old 04-07-10, 07:05 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I dont understand why you are making a big deal out of it.
Old 04-07-10, 07:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
I dont understand why you are making a big deal out of it.
(Something smells fishy)

Old 04-07-10, 07:20 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All car dealerships are like this.

I don't know why you're ragging like it's a surprise.
Old 04-07-10, 08:18 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah all are like this, especially BMW. Now that they have the free maintenance bull****, they markup and upsell every thing else.

$500 for a fuel injection cleaning...

witch pls
Old 04-07-10, 08:21 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by philipmspt
all car dealerships are like this.
omg! Are they really?!!? Oh.my.god!
Old 04-07-10, 10:19 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
you need to tell THEM what they need to fix, not the other way around....otherwise dealers will always do this to you.
Thanks. yeah I usually do tell them what to fix. I was just taken back by the service guy saying I need $2200 in repairs when I came back to pick the truck up from an oil change. The steering gear kills me because it is refurbished and not brand new, and then to tell me that the steering gear likely won't fail but should be replaced soon is odd.
Old 04-07-10, 10:20 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
What Toyota Dealer is this?
Ken Shaw Lexus Toyota
Old 04-07-10, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

2. "You also need a new right rear brake shoe".....I said ok, then he tells me the price "$600 for both left and right rear shoes and drum"...I said "you never mentioned I need both, you only said right rear"....He says "don't do a 1/2 a$$ job"....
Assuming you actually DO need rear brakes, and they are not just trying to bait you, the dealership is correct on this. It is senseless (and, yes, a half-a** job) to replace brakes on only one side of the car. Normally brakes are replaced both front, both rear, or all four.
Old 04-07-10, 11:02 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Assuming you actually DO need rear brakes, and they are not just trying to bait you, the dealership is correct on this. It is senseless (and, yes, a half-a** job) to replace brakes on only one side of the car. Normally brakes are replaced both front, both rear, or all four.
You are right, but according to the service guy, I also need drums as well which I find it hard to believe. That's where the half a$$ comment came in when I questioned the need for drums

Quick Reply: Not happy with Toyota service right now