Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What to buy IS350 or GS350?

Old 04-07-10, 01:39 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster

For what its worth, the IS250 AWD is probably the best value out of them all, it makes a nice little cheap underpowered Lexus.
fixed.

not a whole lotta bang for the buck.
Old 04-07-10, 07:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Expand on why you hated the 08 GS350AWD please, the OP might find the feedback to be useful.

IS-SV,at the risk of pissing off my fellow GS forum friends,here it goes with things that come quickly to mind.

Rattle,rattles and more rattles along with the creaks.
The $2K Mark Levinson system was a big disappointment.No volume control for center channel.Center channel drowns out other speakers.Dealer service said nothing wrong,that's the way it is.
The car tries to be both sporty and luxurious and doesn't do very well for either case,IMO.Doesn't handle and has a rough ride for a luxury car.
For the car's size,it's pretty tight inside.
Old 04-07-10, 07:16 AM
LexFather

For what its worth, the IS250 AWD is probably the best value out of them all, it makes a nice little cheap Lexus.
IS 250 AWDs are not cheap, they are in the 35k-45k range depending on options.
Originally Posted by meowCat
UDel, the reason why there are more IS250's on the road is due to having AWD option. Especially in the northern states there are more IS250's because of this. If IS350 had AWD then it would sell more too but the performance would be in hurt. I remember IS250's going for whopping $42k and the IS350's going for $43~ 44k at the lexus dealer. That's not much of price difference.

LOL you didn't like UDel's post very much didn't ya.

Oh and back to Udel, Acura TL Type-S is a nice handling car, and has the 6-speed manual available. If I had the choice again I would not buy Acura TL... build quality is terrible. The door rattled so bad and I thought my driver side door was going to fall off, at 10k miles!:eek: It was making very annoying squeaking/squealing noise in the timing belt mechanism. Acura said they didn't have the fix for it so I had to put up or shut up. And the 3rd gear synchro problem was a nightmare.. also the clutch release is too slow when shifting gears. Getting out of 1st or 2nd gear was also a major problem. I wouldn't mind paying extra $5 grand to have a better quality built Acura TL, and with more rich materials for the interior. The manufacturer tries to take shortcut, like cutting costs on the assembly and this is what consumers get.

He has stated over and over the 2nd gen TL interior is fabulous then says the 3GS has issues. LOL, not even worth reading.

Then the OP asks for either the IS or GS and he brings up (big surprise again) an Acura.

Old 04-07-10, 09:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, the OP will have to sift through so much unrelated trivia/garbage here to answer his original question, lol.

I hope we hear back from OP with specific questions.
Old 04-07-10, 02:12 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX;5378592]There is less wood inside (IS has wood as an option) and the dial for the sunroof is just silly to me.

The two cupholders to me are easier to use than in the IS.
QUOTE]

i like the dial for the sunroof in the is better than the gs. i love to turn the **** left or right or push in for 1 touch sliding. i dont like the gs one.

and i had the 06 gs 300 and i now have an 06 is350. i like the is cup holder better because in the gs i could not hold really large drinks. in the is350 i can. but the gs put the cup holders in a better place to use them.
Old 04-07-10, 03:07 PM
trichiteo
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your help.. I find alot of this info very helpful.. I am currently leaning towards the GS350 just bc of the VIP factor.. I don't plan on racing this car, so I believe the HP is just right. As far as mod ablitity is the gs350 easy to get more HP?
Old 04-07-10, 03:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Not easy or cheap to get extra horsepower on the GS350 legally. The most common mods are to intake and exhaust and the main result of the changes are increased noise.
Old 04-07-10, 04:41 PM
LexFather

Yeah modding wise there isn't much for easy power but as Meowcat stated it really is faster than most. There is an F-sport intake/exhaust which adds I think a 3% gain which is about 10hp or so....

Old 04-07-10, 09:21 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

i think i'd have a tough time choosing between the two as well.
if i wanted to be pampered more and didn't mind spending another $10k, GS.
if i wanted a little more sport and didn't need the back seat, IS.

if i were you though, i'd check out the M37. that's got the sport and the VIP.
and the interior is gorgeous.
Old 04-07-10, 09:42 PM
LexFather

Thanks for posting a giant picture of a car the OP is not asking about nor have we discussed.

I like that interior a lot, I think the combo is great. It can't be had with the "sport" models.

Sigh.........

Old 04-07-10, 09:48 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

i didn't know that was against the rules too.
others were posting about TL's and whatnot. no one got on their case.
Old 04-07-10, 09:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
i didn't know that was against the rules too.
others were posting about TL's and whatnot. no one got on their case.
Oh I did.

Its called common sense and etiquette. The title states IS 350 or GS 350 not "let me suggest my favorite brand" here.

(and again I find that interior combo stunning)

Old 04-07-10, 10:00 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

i think it's actually the opposite.
it'd be a disservice to him if he wasn't aware of the alternatives, and the M is a good alternative. personally, i think the new M is head of the class as it should be since it's all new.
so why stick with last generation tech when new stuff is available?
Old 04-07-10, 10:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
(and again I find that interior combo stunning)
The GS interior is stunning? lol
Old 04-07-10, 10:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
i think it's actually the opposite.
it'd be a disservice to him if he wasn't aware of the alternatives, and the M is a good alternative. personally, i think the new M is head of the class as it should be since it's all new.
so why stick with last generation tech when new stuff is available?
I am sure he is aware new cars are out. Clearly he is interested in a Lexus.

"Hey looking at a GS/IS but willing to look at others, please make suggestions".

That was not posted. It is simple, the IS or GS.

At this rate..

Hey O.P, check this out as well

The GS interior is stunning? lol
I was commenting on the M37/56 interior posted. and I'm perfectly happy with my 450h interior thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to buy IS350 or GS350?