Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds - 1. 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 vs 2-2010 Infiniti M56S

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 09:34 PM
LexFather

Post Edmunds - 1. 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 vs 2-2010 Infiniti M56S

1st Place: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 - The E550 is a classic luxury sedan with a superb drivetrain and all sorts of high-tech kit. It's not sporty, but it's so refined you'd have to be pretty hard-core to complain.

2nd Place:
2011 Infiniti M56S - Infiniti has built a genuine sport sedan in the M56S and we love that about it. But it's down on features and iffy on the ride quality.
http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...ison-test.html

http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...l#pvm_carousel

0-60 was a wash. 5.3 for the Benz, 5.2 for the Infiniti and the 1/4 was also only .1 apart.

The Mercedes by Three
For all the M56S's dynamic superiority, it's hard for us to tear into the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 for not being much fun. This is a luxury sedan without the theatrics. It's blissfully smooth in every respect, from the way its transmission shifts to the way its suspension absorbs a bump, and it is loaded with both leading-edge technology and old-fashioned conveniences.

Since all of three points separate the E550 from the 2nd-place 2011 Infiniti M56S, there's a compelling case for spending your money on a real sport sedan. In all the ways that the Mercedes feels sterile, the Infiniti feels lively. The M is the sort of car that you look for opportunities to drive by yourself, and that's not something we'd do with an E550.

Personal taste is a big factor in choosing one of these V8 sedans. But don't take too long to make your selection. With tougher fuel economy standards coming, the 2011 Infiniti M56S and 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 might as well be a Tyrannosaurus Rex and Louis XVI walking arm-in-arm into the sunset. They won't get to keep their tasty V8s forever.

Old 04-04-10, 09:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't read the review yet but I saw my first M56S this weekend and just want to say that the car is MUCH better looking in person. FWIW, it's also pretty large- almost the same size as an LS or something.
Old 04-04-10, 09:52 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Read the review...

1) The Infiniti handed the Benz it's royal **** in about every performance test

2) Wow, the E Class looks incredibly dated and boring next to the Infiniti

3) I love how in this review they glorify the E's unsporty demeanor and even give it first place. If this were a Lexus it'd be "boring", "unresponsive", "disconnected", etc.

M56 for me any day of the week. I really like this car
Old 04-04-10, 09:52 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, were there a Lexus badge on the E550, it would have gotten straight RAILED for being "too soft".
Old 04-04-10, 10:00 PM
LexFather

I agree. Edmunds does it again with a C&D like review. It doesn't even seem like a sport package E550.

That said the Infniti price is eye watering and AGAIN they have the most HP and the performance does not add up.

Old 04-04-10, 10:00 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Hmm.....I should read the review once I'm done with school.

All I can say (for now) is that I would take the M56S........but that's only because of how I see the new E-class (or more of the variant featured).

For me, it's either you go all the way I high (E63 AMG wagon) or somewhere down low (like E300 or E200 Bi-turbo or E300 CDI). It's just what I think tho....

I guess that's just how I personally view most MB vehicles I guess (i.e. I'm cool with an S350.....but if I wanna go higher, I'd get the AMG versions).
Old 04-04-10, 10:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I love how in this review they glorify the E's unsporty demeanor and even give it first place. If this were a Lexus it'd be "boring", "unresponsive", "disconnected", etc.
QFT. That was exactly what I thought when reading the above quotes. "It's so refined" etc., reminds me of how a C&D writer was part of an Autoline Detroit panel and said that the new E-Class is "more on the Lexus side of the equation."

As for the looks, it's take-it-or-leave-it with either, IMO. I think the new E-Class looks rather angular retro and the new M is rather exaggerated, thus far I still give the nod to the XF for midsize looks, and albeit cookie-cutter, the new 5 seems to look nice (although not seen in person yet).
Old 04-04-10, 10:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the E looks great. still love those hockey stick LEDs
Old 04-04-10, 11:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

M56 hands down. The benz is not exciting to drive and it doesnt look as nice either.
Old 04-04-10, 11:52 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

M56S FTW... infiniti has done a great job with this..
Old 04-04-10, 11:56 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I agree so hard about the comments about people saying that if the Mercedes were a Lexus it would have gotten railed. Funny how that works.

Also, I know you guys have expressed your dislike for the M's styling in the past but wow it looks gorgeous in these pictures.

Last edited by knihc2008; 04-05-10 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 01:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I saw the new M at the New York auto show last week during press days. I hate to say it, but my first impression of the car was it looked like a Hyundai, especially from the side profile. It seems like the interior is more cramped than the previous generation.

Ironically I happened to see one on the road this morning here in SoCal on the freeways. It was definitely a pre production M37S as it had the Nissan designated 562 distributor license plates. It looks nice, but it just blended in with the rest of the cars.
Old 04-05-10, 02:52 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is not the first comparo that favors plush ride over sport. Its seems to be a new trend. Even Euro magazines have praised soft rides and have been very critical of stiff chassis recently (There is one test where 80,000Euro BMW F10 530d was praised for its relaxed ride).

Finally it came to their heads that these elephants of cars can't be sports cars?
The most manufacturers can do is to give you direct steering input, fast 0-60 times and no bodyroll to give you confidence that you are driving something sporty. And that's a good thing I am all in for that but just don't look for an Evo in these cars because there is no need for such thing.

Who would have thought that GS had it right all along
Old 04-05-10, 06:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008

Also, I know you guys have expressed your dislike for the M's styling in the past but wow it looks gorgeous in these pictures.
It looks even better in person, IMO. I was out this weekend and saw a black M56S turn a corner in front of me and thought, "WHAT IS THAT?!" The guy ended up parking next to me and let me sit in and look at the car, and I'm blown away.

All of the curves that look exaggerated in pictures look incredible in person. The best way that I can explain the design of the car is a restrained, athletic elegance. It's a lot more interesting than anything else that I have seen in this class and you have to see the car in person to appreciate all of the details. I previously thought that the rear end was a little weak, and while I still think it could be better, it does look much better in person.

The interior of this car is also top of it's class, IMO, if not the absolute best in class. I like the design and detailing and in person the quality is flawless and faultless (we all know I'm hard on interiors). The interior was black with a dark colored wood, just like Edmunds' test car, and it was absolutely beautiful.

The only glaring problem that I saw was pretty significant orange peel in the paint. It could be much better.

The owner said he paid about $68K OTD, but for the first time, this Infiniti feels worth the money.
Old 04-05-10, 06:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

FWIW, Edmunds is getting REAMED OUT over this article. Look at the comments from members over there- these people are pissed.

I also read Michael Jordan's "Second Opinion" and found it to be extremely insightful:

Executive Editor Michael Jordan says:
Maybe I've just lost my taste for German sedans. Now they've all become the same generic sausage, only cut into different lengths. Their differences in character and style seem like the result of battles fought long ago and far, far away. The Mercedes-Benz E550 sums up everything about these cars that has become irrelevant, from the unpleasant roundup of styling themes from the past to the overly processed driving experience. As always, I'm looking for the Real Thing, and this is not it.

So it's no wonder that I'm willing to sign up for the Infiniti M56S. Of these two cars, the Infiniti seems to be the one that really embraces modernity, something you can see in the way it has at last turned the styling themes and ergonomic layout of its cabin into a place that is unique to this car company, an identifiable style that Infiniti has been searching for since the original Q45 was introduced in 1990. The undulating exterior sheet metal isn't quite up to the same standard, but it tries to make a relatively new statement at least.

The M56S also drives much like I'd imagine a Q45 to drive. It has a useful amount of poise on the road, which makes it more alive than the somewhat soggy non-S example that I've also spent time in. It's a little too heavy on its feet, though, and it throws its weight from side to side and feels bogged down in wheels that are just too heavy besides. Even so, this car has a kind of toughness when it comes to fast driving that I like a lot. Like every Nissan, the M56S is dominated by its engine, and I particularly like the way this V8 seems to come on the cam and rip at high rpm, something that makes the engine far more dynamic than the industrial (although powerful) motor under the hood of the E-Class.

The German cars in this category have become downsize clones of their larger, luxury siblings, and the forthcoming 2011 BMW 5 Series shows that even BMW has given in to this influence. The Infiniti M56S tries harder to be right size, much like the BMW 5 Series has been up until now, and that's the kind of car that I want to drive into the future.

Quick Reply: Edmunds - 1. 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 vs 2-2010 Infiniti M56S