Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds - 1. 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 vs 2-2010 Infiniti M56S

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 07:19 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The new M looks incredible in pictures so far. Can't wait to test one out at my local Infiniti dealer. I'm really liking the interior design, and i'm an interior junkie
Old 04-05-10, 08:16 AM
LexFather

Yeah but Mike again it's not a E sport. If thy had brains they would have compared the non sport M56 or have both as sport models.

Also the same look different size worked for the Gemans in the past. Many say the M37 looks too much like a G37 in person. There is no true flagship for items to trickle down to Infiniti the sedans are All FM based.

the German magazine double standards are simply pathetic.

Old 04-05-10, 09:35 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say give credit where credit is due. This M seems to succeed at being what Infiniti set out for it to be. I am still not convinced about the styling but I have yet to see one in the real so that could change as well. I'm looking forward to the many group comparos which will inevitably come. I hope the next GS drops soon so we can see how the Asian cars in the class compare.

Last edited by speedflex; 04-05-10 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 11:17 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I finally had an oportunity to see & feel this this car in person @ the NYIAS. It is a beautiful machine inside & out! Well worth the price of admission & then some.
Old 04-05-10, 01:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This comparo also showed that the size differences may not necessarily tip the scales as much (it seemed to with the prior M). I expect the next GS to remain in the 5/E size and not go class-between, just as the IS line matches the 3/C more closely in size, and sells without having to make a larger model (e.g. G37, CTS). However, GS vs. M comparisons have had the size difference work in the M's favor, but part of that is simply because the G/M are class-between in size vs. price.
Old 04-05-10, 01:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
I say give credit where credit is due. This M seems to succeed at being what Infiniti set out for it to be. I am still not convinced about the styling but I have yet to see one in the real so that could change as well. I'm looking forward to the many group comparos which will inevitably come. I hope the next GS drops soon so we can see how the Asian cars in the class compare.
With the competition the way it is, the next GS is going to be one hell of an amazing car, or suck really really hard. I don't see where the middle ground could possibly be.
Old 04-05-10, 01:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
With the competition the way it is, the next GS is going to be one hell of an amazing car, or suck really really hard. I don't see where the middle ground could possibly be.
I see the middle ground as a vehicle like the current 3GS. Spectacular in some ways, more average in others. It remains a Lexus through and through, which is great, but many of us would like to see it break out more. However, a 4GS like the 3GS would be a middle ground type situation. Hopefully they will deliver.

That being said, I can absolutely guarantee that when the 4GS comes out, some will declare it a 'fail' no matter what (on the basis of design, size, engine, etc), but we'll see what the market reaction is. There's the question of whether it will target the E or 5 more closely, too.
Old 04-05-10, 01:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like the new M does the best job of blending luxury and sport, two things that have been (somewhat) mutually exclusive in this class for a long time. For about as far back as I can recall, when buying a midsize luxury sedan you either got something with fantastic driving dynamics and a lackluster interior (5 Series), or you got a laid back crusier with boundless luxury amenities (E, GS). Some had nicer interiors or better driving dynamics, but at the end of the day you were either getting a sporty car with a few luxury features, or a luxury car with sporty intentions- not much middle ground.

By all indications, the M seems to have the razor-sharp driving dynamics we have come to expect from BMW, with the uber-luxurious and high quality interiors that people associate with Lexus or MB. The only other car that seems to tackle both of those areas is the XF, although it's not a car that I care much for.
Old 04-05-10, 06:05 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't know why Infiniti keeps sending the wrong car to these comparison tests. A standard M56 instead of the M56S would be a better match for the E550. It still handles very well for such a large car without the jittery ride or tire noise of the S.

The convertible test was another example of the same thing. With the 6 speed manual and S package, the convertible is uncomfortable and noisy. These problems go away with the automatic and the standard suspension. In addition, several tests have shown the new 7 speed automatic is a bit faster than the manual.

For almost everyone, the base (or Journey) models at Infiniti are sporty enough with the "S" version for the hard core sports car types, but Infiniti keeps pushing the "S" models in most of the comparisons.
Steve
Old 04-05-10, 07:00 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i love the classy design of E. M56 doesn't do anything for me.
Old 04-05-10, 09:11 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

If I wanted a fast E I would for for the E63 and a E63 is probably not that much more then a fully loaded E550
Old 04-05-10, 09:16 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The E-Class is my choice, I dunno something about the Infiniti M just doesn't do it for me.
Old 04-05-10, 09:40 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

when the pictures for the new M came out I thought MEH, looks like a large G. Then I went to my local Infiniti dealer 2 days ago and saw a black M56S in person, MUCH NICER in real life. The exaggerated curve lines in photo looks very nice. The interior is also nicely done. Completely blows the new E away, inside and out.

And Infinitis are one of the most well equipped luxury cars on the road today. Basically everything is optional on the Mercedes, I can't believe they weigh heavily on junk like TELEAID.
Old 04-05-10, 09:47 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I saw the new M at the New York auto show last week during press days. I hate to say it, but my first impression of the car was it looked like a Hyundai,
both the benz and the infiniti look like a hyundai.

one is a blocky hyundai, the other is a curvy wavy one.
Old 04-05-10, 10:08 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
both the benz and the infiniti look like a hyundai.

one is a blocky hyundai, the other is a curvy wavy one.
You could argue that many cars look like a Hyundai, with the amount of copying they do.

Quick Reply: Edmunds - 1. 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 vs 2-2010 Infiniti M56S