Register Forgot Password?

Wards 2010 Best Interior Awards

Old 04-06-10, 07:01 AM   #31
rdgdawg
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Even that gives it more credit than due. That also applies to its brother, the Jeep Compass.

While I don't necessarily share this opinion myself, from previous chats, I suspect we are also going to get some disagreements on the Camaro interior.
Sat in a new SS two days ago... EPIC FAIL!!!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
rdgdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 10:30 AM   #32
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDFantasy View Post
The Kia Forte is a finalist? Are they kidding?

Click the image to open in full size.

it's not that bad, but definitely not an award winning worthy.
maybe this award is pure 'design' award. not quality of materials award. not sure.

i don't like Forte's interior either, but every article i read about Forte said how easy it is to use. honestly in this segment, i like the futuristic civic's interior the most. it's cool and funky.
joe80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 07:07 PM   #33
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Volkswagen GTI and Lexus RX should be on the list.
Old 04-06-10, 09:14 PM   #34
LiCelsior
Liberty's VIP STi
Trader Score: (30)

LiCelsior

this interior owns them all

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-12-10, 04:56 PM   #35
GS69
Lexus Champion

Exclamation Winners

SOUTHFIELD, Mich., April 12 -- Ward's Auto Interior of the Year Awards, North America's only honors for excellence in automotive interiors, have been announced for 2010. The list features winners in pricing and vehicle type categories, as well as special award winners for design, versatility and brand expression.

The 2010 Ward's Auto Interior of the Year winners are:

-- Subaru Outback (Popular-priced car under $29,999)
-- Infiniti M56 (Premium-priced car)
-- Lexus HS 250h (Hybrid car)
-- Chevrolet Camaro (Sports car)
-- Chevrolet Equinox (Popular-priced truck under $39,999)
-- Volvo XC60 (Premium-priced truck)
-- Acura ZDX (Design Breakthrough)
-- Mazdaspeed3 (Brand Expression)
-- BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo (Design Versatility)
-- Porsche Panamera (Inspired Design)
"For years, the focus on safety and functionality has given us drab, uninspired vehicle interiors," said Ward's AutoWorld Editor-in-Chief Drew Winter. "This year's winners show style and original design is becoming as important inside the vehicle as it already is to the sheet metal outside."

A team of eight Ward's editors evaluated 40 vehicles that have either all-new or significantly upgraded interiors this year. The vehicles - both car and truck - were divided into segments, with one winner named in each category. In addition, Ward's bestowed special awards for outstanding achievements in key areas. Having both designations allowed judges to rank vehicles against the entire field, regardless of segment and price. Judging criteria included aesthetics and design harmony, comfort, driver information, ergonomics, fit and finish, materials, safety and overall value.

The awards will be presented during a ceremony held as part of the Ward's Auto Interiors Conference on May 19 at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Dearborn, MI. Registration details can be found online at www.autointeriors.com.

About Ward's Automotive Group
Ward's Automotive Group is a world-leading provider of auto industry news, data and analysis, having served the industry's information needs for nearly 80 years. Ward's AutoWorld is a monthly magazine serving more than 68,000 automotive professionals. The twice-monthly newsletter Ward's Engine & Vehicle Technology Update provides analysis of engineering advancements and technical issues. WardsAuto.com is an online subscription service delivering virtually all the industry news, data and analysis compiled by Ward's Automotive Group, the world's leader in automotive industry information. A Southfield, MI - based division of Penton Media, Inc., Ward's Automotive Group also publishes the weekly industry newsletter Ward's Automotive Reports, the monthly magazine Ward's Dealer Business, and offers a wealth of other automotive information services including reference annuals, online databases, and customized data reports.

About Penton Media, Inc.

As a leading, independent, business-to-business media company, Penton knows business and how to create and disseminate the vital content that moves markets. Penton serves the information needs of more than six million business professionals every month in industries ranging from Agriculture and Aviation to Electronics, Natural Products, and Information Technology. With the majority of the company's properties ranked the #1 or #2 information source for their respective industries, Penton is where professionals turn to gain the critical insight, expert analysis, and relevant connections needed to compete and succeed. Headquartered in New York City, the privately held company is owned by MidOcean Partners and U.S. Equity Partners II, an investment fund sponsored by Wasserstein & Co., LP, and its co-investors. For additional information on the company and its businesses, visit www.penton.com.
GS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 12:05 AM   #36
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

My reaction to some of the winners is .
-----------
The anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in everyone.
TRDFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 09:02 AM   #37
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Has anyone here ever considered that material quality is perhaps not all that important in these rankings?

I'm pretty sure that interior ergonomics also are part of the equation. The Caliber, for instance, might excel in that criteria despite the relatively disappointing build quality.

At any rate, Wards and their judges have their subjective opinions. My point is: who cares? Arguing about interiors to me is pretty childish. To me, an interior needs to look and feel good as well as being ergonomically acceptable. Most modern interiors fulfill that requirement. Case closed.

-My car: '09 BMW 118d Automatic / '98 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 SR Automatic
-My sister: '06 Lexus IS250
-My old folks: '08 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4
DustinV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 09:24 AM   #38
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

Entire list is meh...but congrats
Old 04-13-10, 09:26 AM   #39
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350jet View Post
This list is a joke! Dodge caliber? The crappiest interior on earth?
There's a lot of other questionables on that list as well.
+1

camaro has terrible interior
plastics are horrible in that thing

none of the chevy and dodge should be on that list

01 GS300 Stock Navigation + back-up camera tapped into NAV brain
10" ADS Subwoofer (sealed setup) + Alpine 250W Amp (old alpine)
Odometer: 88,120 miles
UberNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 11:47 AM   #40
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
This list is a joke! Dodge caliber? The crappiest interior on earth?
There's a lot of other questionables on that list as well.
yeah I know. Once I read that it kind of takes all of the steam out of any of the rankings

2010 LEXUS ISF / F Sport rear Sway Bar / Michelin PSS

The ISF......The perfect car for an enthusiast. It can be driven to the track, run hard all day , and then transport me hundreds of miles home in luxury and comfort to pick up the wife for dinner and a movie....
I8ABMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 01:04 PM   #41
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinV View Post
Has anyone here ever considered that material quality is perhaps not all that important in these rankings?

I'm pretty sure that interior ergonomics also are part of the equation. The Caliber, for instance, might excel in that criteria despite the relatively disappointing build quality.

At any rate, Wards and their judges have their subjective opinions. My point is: who cares? Arguing about interiors to me is pretty childish. To me, an interior needs to look and feel good as well as being ergonomically acceptable. Most modern interiors fulfill that requirement. Case closed.

I've personally considered different areas and criteria they might be ranking on, and I still don't understand their methodology.

Have you sat inside a Caliber interior? I have and it's not very ergonomic IMHO.
-----------
Old 04-14-10, 12:09 AM   #42
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinV View Post

I think most here have different standards in regards to interiors since this is a Lexus forum. Lexus has been known for their interiors since day one and it is a selling point.
Old 04-14-10, 05:00 AM   #43
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDFantasy View Post

I've personally considered different areas and criteria they might be ranking on, and I still don't understand their methodology.

Have you sat inside a Caliber interior? I have and it's not very ergonomic IMHO.
The Caliber was introduced when I was already in Europe, but I have seen a few around. I've never sat in one or experienced the interior, but from the pictures it is quite obvious that the cabin isn't anything special in terms of materials or build quality.

I can't comment on the ergonomics of this particular dashboard but perhaps, just perhaps, the ergonomics of the Caliber's cabin are favorable to most people. I don't know.

At the end of the day the fact of the matter remains that everything is subjective.

-My car: '09 BMW 118d Automatic / '98 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 SR Automatic
-My sister: '06 Lexus IS250
-My old folks: '08 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4
DustinV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 06:22 AM   #44
IS350jet
Lexus Champion

Then why isn't it called "Wards 2010 Best Ergonomic Interior Awards" ??

What the bold print giveth, the fine print taketh away.

2012 ES350 Starfire Pearl
Parchment/walnut interior
Premium Plus
28% Solargard
IS350jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 11:29 AM   #45
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Then why isn't it called "Wards 2010 Best Ergonomic Interior Awards" ??
Good point.
-----------
Old 04-14-10, 11:29 AM