Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wards 2010 Best Interior Awards

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 05:00 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They changed the Caliber's interior a while back...I believe. I agree, the previous one was among the worst interiors I've seen in NA.
Old 03-30-10, 05:06 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
No offense to you at all, but I really don't understand how anyone could like that interior. Its just so plain and the layout is ugly and awkward. Not a fan of audi interiors at all

I mean just compare that to the S class

Looks way better...in my opinion.

The LS looks way nicer too. More luxurious and expensive looking
I may be biased since I drive an A8, but I have to disagree. It is very well laid out, and all of the surfaces have a high quality feel. I personally do not like the colors in this picture, but the black or brown interior is amazing, even more so at night. I have never had as many compliments on the interior of a car as I have the A8. The new S-Class is a quantum leap from the previous gen which I thought was amazingly cheap looking, but it's still not up to the A8 quality. 2011 A8 seems to be a further jump, minus the boat inspired shifter.
Old 03-30-10, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
They changed the Caliber's interior a while back...I believe. I agree, the previous one was among the worst interiors I've seen in NA.
You may have a good point on the new interior. A couple of years ago, a Dodge engineer at the D.C. Auto Show told me that they were going to make a number of fit/finish improvements to the Caliber and give it a better interior....even the company itself knew that the car was unacceptable the way it was. Apparantly, from the picture, that may have (now) been done for 2010. If so, I'll stand at least partially corrected on the new Caliber interior, which I have not (yet) seen or examined in person....only here in the picture.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-10 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 10:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by theanimala
I may be biased since I drive an A8, but I have to disagree. It is very well laid out, and all of the surfaces have a high quality feel. I personally do not like the colors in this picture, but the black or brown interior is amazing, even more so at night. I have never had as many compliments on the interior of a car as I have the A8. The new S-Class is a quantum leap from the previous gen which I thought was amazingly cheap looking, but it's still not up to the A8 quality. 2011 A8 seems to be a further jump, minus the boat inspired shifter.
To me the A8 interior does not photograph well. In person makes all the difference.

Old 03-30-10, 10:10 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
No offense to you at all, but I really don't understand how anyone could like that interior. Its just so plain and the layout is ugly and awkward. Not a fan of audi interiors at all

I mean just compare that to the S class

Looks way better...in my opinion.

The LS looks way nicer too. More luxurious and expensive looking
That S class interior is not nice at all. Maybe it would look good on a van or something. The other two are better. LS FTW!
Old 03-31-10, 05:14 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Camaro

So after all the talk I decided to take a look @ the Camaro. @ 1st I thought that it looked OK:

But then I saw this ... that seems like a weird & potentially dangerous place to put small gauges:

Old 03-31-10, 05:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
So after all the talk I decided to take a look @ the Camaro. @ 1st I thought that it looked OK:

But then I saw this ... that seems like a weird & potentially dangerous place to put small gauges:

The Camaro dash looks cheap to me.
The lower guages were on the late 60's Camaro SS.
Old 03-31-10, 08:33 AM
LexFather

Oh its worse when you sit inside. I am a huge fan of the Camaro but the interior is low rent and just weird.

Old 04-05-10, 01:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These days I would love it to be in any of the flagship interiors, LS/S/A8 especially. The LS 460 won the Best in Show and Best Overall Comfort in the Wards 2007 awards.
Old 04-05-10, 04:13 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To me the A8 interior does not photograph well. In person makes all the difference.
That's true. I recently got an A4 and sitting inside of it just made me feel so comfortable. The interior is much nicer in person and definitely that picture of the A8's interior wasn't photographed well. Comparing the Audi's interior to the Lexus's interior, I'd have to say Audi +1 A4 did win 2009 Ward's Best Redesign interior...
Old 04-05-10, 06:20 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i was a big audi fan, but exterior was a huge disappointment.

but interior? best in its class. pure sex IMO.

nothing really comes close to the interior design, feel, and the quality of material IMO. i was bit disappointed because the layout itself didn't really change much. still i think it's the king of the flagship interior. LS, and S look like a class below when compared to a8's interior. the quality of the plastic they use seems to be a step above. it's in the details and audi is the king of details. but the TV on the rear seat is a huge fail.

mike posted the ugliest picture. but the orange birdseye wood looks much better in person.

Last edited by joe80; 04-05-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-05-10, 06:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
That S class interior is not nice at all. Maybe it would look good on a van or something. The other two are better. LS FTW!
I agree, the S class interior doesn't look good at all. The steering column mounted gear shifter makes it look like a minivan. BMW made the same mistake with the previous gen 7 series, but they learned from it, and put the gear shifter back where it belongs in the new one.

Old 04-05-10, 06:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With that being said, we are so spoiled these days. Imagine when interiors used to look like this?

Old 04-05-10, 06:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
I agree, the S class interior doesn't look good at all. The steering column mounted gear shifter makes it look like a minivan. BMW made the same mistake with the previous gen 7 series, but they learned from it, and put the gear shifter back where it belongs in the new one.
A wonderfully finished gear shift looks great, e.g. LS 460 (on 600h, it's got chrome also):

However, I'm wondering how it will be executed in the next gen with Remote Touch, like RX/HS/CT/LFA

Old 04-06-10, 12:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The Kia Forte is a finalist? Are they kidding?

Quick Reply: Wards 2010 Best Interior Awards