Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (updated and priced at 35k, same as V-6)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Also with the Mercury Milan being dropped maybe the MKZ gets a standard 4 cylinder as well.
Possibly on the standard FWD model, but, without an electric hybrid back-up motor to help it, even that would be stretching things......the MKX is a fair amount of car, with a fair amount of weight and equipment, for most nonassisted or N/A fours.....and the AWD MKZ, of course, adds even more weight/drag. A turbo four might work, power-wise.....but most turbo fours, with the possible exception of the one in the Acura RDX, tend to be too unrefined for upmarket or luxury-car use, though Saab, admittedly, used them for years before GM took over.
Old 06-05-10, 06:42 PM
LexFather

I hope it's not like the RDX which sports a I-4 Turbo that gets I-4 performance with V-8 MPG. Worst turbo I-4 ever. Subie and Mitsu know how to do turbo 4s.

Old 06-05-10, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I hope it's not like the RDX which sports a I-4 Turbo that gets I-4 performance with V-8 MPG. Worst turbo I-4 ever. Subie and Mitsu know how to do turbo 4s.
A Subaru turbo flat-4, though, wouldn't work with the MKZ. Its output shaft goes straight out the back. The MKZ's front end and chassis, like on its Fusion/Milan brothers, is set up for transverse-mounted engines and drivetrains, also necessatating a more-complex AWD system to compensate.

With the RDX four, yes, it's thirstier than most Honda fours, but its performance (at least in my limited experience), is also considerably more, especially at low RPMs, where most N/A Honda VTEC 4s lack torque and can take all day to get rolling. The CR-V, virtually alone among N/A Honda fours, has torque that equals its HP rating.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-10 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 07:11 PM
LexFather

Mike it's a sad day that Lincoln could teach Acura a few things about engines. Hybrid and ecoboost> 1980s v6s and turbo 4s

Old 06-05-10, 09:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mike it's a sad day that Lincoln could teach Acura a few things about engines. Hybrid and ecoboost> 1980s v6s and turbo 4s
Acura, to my knowledge, has yet to do any hybrid engines like the sister Honda division, at least in the American market.

I've sampled an Ecoboost in the new MKT, and, while it's a nice powerplant, I didn't think it was anything world-class. Its main benefit, of course, is the choice between feather-foot V6 economy and right-foot, borderline-V8 grunt whenever the driver wants it.

Of course, the Taurus SHO Ecoboost version may (?) be more impressive, due to the vehicle's lighter weight. I haven't sampled an SHO yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-10 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-06-10, 06:28 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 2.0L would do well in the MKZ. I'd like to Ford combine Ecoboost and their hybrid powertrain, but this would command a premium, a risk I am not sure that they are willing to take.
Old 06-16-10, 08:19 AM
LexFather

2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid officially rated at 41 mpg city / 36 mpg hwy

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/16/2...g-city-36-mpg/

n what should be a surprise to no one, the 2011 Lincoln MKZ Gybrid has been officially certified by the EPA as the most fuel efficient luxury sedan in the U.S. market. Given that the MKZ is really little more than a very gussied up Ford Fusion Hybrid, including an identical powertrain, we fully expected the same 41 mile per gallon city and 36 mpg highway numbers for the Lincoln.

Those numbers put the MKZ well ahead of its closest competitor, the Lexus HS250h which is rated 35/34 mpg. Aside from some subtle badging, the MKZ Hybrid is indistinguishable from its conventional siblings. It does receive an enhanced version of the SmartGauge system in the Fusion that adds long-term fuel efficiency indicators to all of the other information available, however.

The MKZ Hybrid goes on sale in the Fall as Mercury Milan production winds down.

Old 06-16-10, 08:31 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Well HS sales are pretty much done. Well done until Lexus gives it a more competitive drivetrain.
Old 06-16-10, 09:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The HS seems like a step backwards compared to the MKZ hybrid.

Although the HS has "eco-friendly" materials and textiles, Lexus needed to provide a better package as a whole. I too wish for a competitive powertrain in the near future.

I do hope the MKZ does well for Ford/Lincoln. Lincoln needs to define their luxury wannabe-Tier-1 status to play with the Big Boys. Lincoln's image is lost; I don't know what their mission is compared to other luxury brands. Hopefully, they can provide something that will stand out above the rest.
Old 06-16-10, 09:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The HS was a step backward from the very beginning.
Fixed for you
Old 06-16-10, 10:22 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Fixed for you
I completely agree with that

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The HS seems like a step backwards compared to the MKZ hybrid.

Although the HS has "eco-friendly" materials and textiles, Lexus needed to provide a better package as a whole. I too wish for a competitive powertrain in the near future.

I do hope the MKZ does well for Ford/Lincoln. Lincoln needs to define their luxury wannabe-Tier-1 status to play with the Big Boys. Lincoln's image is lost; I don't know what their mission is compared to other luxury brands. Hopefully, they can provide something that will stand out above the rest.
The HS never did and at this point never will offer anything special in the market. The next HS will HAVE to be EV or PHEV in order to be something a little special because the days of hybrid cars selling just because they're "hybrids" are over.

Newer more sophisticated technology is out and if the HS were to continue to just be a hybrid it'll fall further behind and become an even more staid car sadly. Not much else can be said of it unfortunately.

As far as Lincoln they have little hope of becoming tier one but they'll continue to do well if they focus on their core market. If Lincoln became more of a Buick-esque tier-two player I don't think anyone would complain.

Last edited by (Cj); 06-16-10 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 11:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Fixed for you
Originally Posted by (Cj)
I completely agree with that

The HS never did and at this point never will offer anything special in the market.
Lexus didn't market the HS well. It DOES provide amenities that no other car has ever provided before in the past.

"Hybrid Living" was thrown about a lot, but Lexus inefficiently used it. Their use of it was very wishy-washy at best. It was used with a dream-like quality; you used beans as cushions for the seats; bamboo to reinforce plastic, and recycled glass here and there.

Honestly, would you buy a car because it used beans, bamboo, and recycled glass? It takes more to sell a car.

So, although the HS does provide something eco-unique, the HS cannot hold the burden of providing a car that wholesomely encompasses performance, power, efficiency, style, AND eco-friendliness.
Old 07-22-10, 01:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid priced equal to V6 at $35,180; cheaper than Lexus

2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid priced equal to V6 at $35,180

Lincoln has dropped a bit of a surprise with the pricing of the 2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid. Unlike most other hybrid vehicles, there will be no price premium compared to the cheapest conventional model. The MKZ hybrid, with its 2.5-liter four cylinder hybrid powertrain, will start at $35,180 including destination and delivery. That's the same price as the front-wheel drive 3.5-liter V6-powered model.

For those keeping track, that puts the price at about $350 under the base Lexus HS 250h, which would seem to be its main competitor. Further, its 41 miles per gallon in the city is 6 mpg better than the Lexus – which, of course, is supposed to be the whole point of a hybrid vehicle. Add in arguably more attractive styling and the new Lincoln hybrid may well find itself with quite a following in the marketplace. Check out all the details in the press release after the break.

Lincoln MKZ Hybrid gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-...ybrid/#2846951

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/22/2...-v6-at-35-180/
Old 07-22-10, 04:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

impressive! and less homely than the HS.
Old 07-22-10, 05:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I would expect similar for an ESh. Afterall, a 4 banger is still cheaper than average, modern 6 cylinder.

Quick Reply: Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (updated and priced at 35k, same as V-6)