Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

350hp Ford Focus RS500 (EVO review)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 12:17 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

still a ford, still fwd...like its cousin the dodge neon srt4 lol, for the money i'm sure it can be put to better use
Old 03-29-10, 12:30 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isn't Ford Amercian???.. Japan been holding out on the GTR for the longest until they finally made it here.. EUro been holding out on their goodies.. and now even the U.S brand is holding out on us??.. what's the problem??
Old 03-29-10, 08:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Love it love it love!!!!

Old 03-29-10, 09:19 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BENVD
still a ford, still fwd...like its cousin the dodge neon srt4 lol, for the money i'm sure it can be put to better use

did you just say srt4 is a cousin to ford focus? and did you just compared to this little beast to a rice rocket?

and so what it's a FWD? Ford does have a spectacular RWD in mustang.. you must don't follow automotive news lately..

anyway,

Ford right now is the most improved, the most relentless brand right now.

just look at their latest efforts. it's genius.

The Mustang - M3 like performance for 40k. a true world class pony car.
The Fiesta - will make huge noise in subcompact segment
The Focus -will become one of the best seller again with performance to back it up.
The Fusion - M/T car of the year. BMW of the midsize sedan.
new explorer - back on the top most likely

They are bringing performance and fuel economy in every new cars they make.

I'm kinda tired of pro japanese, pro german, pro domestics and etc. it's all about who's making the best cars. people ridicule my hyundai posts, but just look at what hyundai is doing. they are making one of the best cars. Ford is doing the same. making serious noise in every segment. they are letting other brands to know they are for real. they want to be the best. I got goosebumps reading about the new Mustang. it's a mind boggling achievement IMO.

I hated domestics for the longest time, but Ford is completely changing my perception of the domestics. Ford is making great cars. and Focus always was the leader in its segment in Europe. this looks like a kick a$$ hatch. just look at this thing.

and in london, they consider this as a muscle car. you have no idea how well it handles. euro spec ford is freakin sweet. Focus was the perennial best seller in europe for a reason.

I am very impressed by Ford. hyundai/ford is definitely my favorite brand right now.
Old 05-08-10, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's some more info on it from the June issue of Road & Track:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...rd-focus-rs500

Ford of Europe is sending the current-generation Focus RS out with a bang with a limited edition called the RS500. The “500” doesn’t refer to its horsepower, but rather the number of cars to be built. As with the Focus RS, none are destined for the U.S., although Ford’s Mark Schirmer promises that, starting with the next-gen Focus, “we will be free from having to watch the Euros have all the fun.” Let’s hope so.

The fun in the RS500’s case comes by way of a 45-bhp bump over the regular RS, for a total of 350 bhp from the turbocharged 2.5-liter 5-cylinder (torque increases from 325 to 340 lb.-ft.). The extra power was achieved via a bigger intercooler and air filter, a larger-diameter exhaust downpipe, an uprated fuel pump and new software calibration. Ford claims the front-wheel-drive RS500 can hit 60 mph in 5.4 sec.

It’ll be easy to spot an RS500: Just look for the matte-black paint job. It’s actually not paint, but rather a special film (by 3M of Frankfurt, Germany) applied over Ford’s standard metallic paint to create the matte effect.
I can't imagine why one would want a car painted matte-black. Some of the regular factory colors on today's cars are dull enough as it is.
Old 05-08-10, 12:49 PM
JessePS

I don't see why people hate FWD so much. They are great in winter or I am so use to driving a car with FWD lol

Man I wish this car was sold in N.A. Guess I have to wait and see if someone willing to import a used one.
Old 05-08-10, 01:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

350 hp in a fwd car?????..............can we say Torque Steer?????

I would take a Nismo 370z over this thing in a second ( with upgraded brakes though)
Old 05-08-10, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
350 hp in a fwd car?????..............can we say Torque Steer?????
Ford says that they went to great lengths to carefully engineer the front drive-shafts to minimize torque steer in the RS. This car, of course, has even more power. I suspect that they might (?) resort to tricks like de-throttling the engine in the lower gears like the MazdaSpeed3 does.

I would take a Nismo 370z over this thing in a second ( with upgraded brakes though)
If you want a pure sports car, yes, that's fine, but some people don't want the cramped space, only 2 useful seats, low stance with difficult entry/exit, and RWD of the typical classic sports car. 2-seaters can also be expensive to insure....insurance companies, in general, don't like them.
Old 05-09-10, 04:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, 350 HP is way too much for a FWD car this small and light. It has to be AWD or it's just not happening. If it is in fact FWD, and Ford has followed the route of SRT4, Saab, Cobalt/HHRSS, and electronically limited HP in gears 1-2-3, then my renewed image of Ford has certainly changed for the worse. I have a major disdain for manufacturers that do this. If the chassis/layout can't handle the HP, don't build the car. It's simple, do it right, or don't do it at all. I'd just as soon spit on Ford's blue oval than accept such a stupid concept.
Old 05-18-10, 08:37 PM
LexFather

EVO review..

Ford might have the greatest FWD car ever

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...00_review.html

What is it?

A Focus RS with added attitude – if such a thing is possible when the standard RS is perhaps the most pumped hot hatch of all time. Black wheels and matt black paint (it’s actually a film applied to standard black paint) do make it a terrifically mean looking thing. Of the 500 being produced, only 101 are coming to the UK, each priced at £35,750 – which as we shall see, is rather academic.

Technical highlights?

Since the only thing that’s been altered is the engine, that’s the highlight. The block and head have been left well alone, Ford simply adding a larger intercooler, air filter box and bigger bore exhaust downpipe to allow the engine to inhale more air, more quickly and then get rid of it more efficiently. There’s also an uprated fuel pump to make sure the air has enough petrol for the combustion process and the ECU has also been tweaked. The aim is better mid- to high-rev power delivery. With an extra 44bhp and 14lb ft over the standard RS, Ford claims the 0-60mph tumbles by half a second to 5.4sec.

What’s it like to drive?

The trouble for Ford is that the standard RS is a pretty bonkers thing and simply modifying the engine hasn’t fundamentally changed the driving experience, just given the front wheels even more work to do.

At low engine speeds the added power is largely undetectable, although the exhaust seems to burp even more readily when you lift off. But once the rev needle swings past 3500rpm you’re aware of extra pressure in your back, the engine feeling even more frantic in the way it piles on revs. There’s also a tad more volume from the exhaust and a greater repertoire of pops, bangs and whooshes. It’s highly entertaining and downright rapid.

As long as it’s dry the Focus is devastating. Yes, the wheel does tug, but it’s manageable (unless you’re in second and deliberately thuggish with the throttle), the diff doing a great job of getting the lion’s share of the 339lb ft to the floor. But in the wet the same isn’t true and the RS500 will happily, readily break traction in third. However, work at it and learn it and the Focus is able to make enormously rapid progress.

It’s never dull, not for a second, but neither is it particularly polished and it remains a hard car to drive smoothly. But for all that no hot hatch is as much of a blast to drive, and in the final analysis, that’s what matters.

How does it compare?

The trouble is you get all this ability in the RS500’s closest rival, er, the standard Focus RS. Which, if you want, you can upgrade with this exact package of engine mods for £1995. Add it to a new car and you’d still get change from £30,000, which means Ford is charging over £5000 for the matt paint and the fact the RS500 is a limited edition. A bit cheeky if you ask us.

Of course, you don’t have to go down the Mountune route. We’ve driven a £435 Graham Goode Racing Focus RS with an ECU tweak and 340bhp and very good it is, too. If you’ve got £35,000 and a burning urge to blow it on hot hatch, then you can choose two other wildly different avenues. Go hard and track down a Honda Mugen Civic, or go soft and investigate a VW Golf R.

Anything else I need to know?

You can’t have one. It might cost £7,000 more than the standard RS, but all 101 British cars are already sold.

Old 05-18-10, 10:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

As long as it’s dry the Focus is devastating. Yes, the wheel does tug, but it’s manageable (unless you’re in second and deliberately thuggish with the throttle), the diff doing a great job of getting the lion’s share of the 339lb ft to the floor.
Well, there's the answer, for those of you that brought up the question of torque steer in the previous threads.

A great pocket-rocket, yes, but I can't handle that flat-black paint job. It's just absurd.
Old 05-19-10, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat
mmarshall maybe right. I too am pretty sure that the Ford Focus RS500 will have some level of power cut to minimize torque steer just like the Mazdaspeed 3.

Maybe so, but the reviewer, in his write-up, said that the torque steer was manageable UNLESS you hammered the throttle in second, which suggests, to me at least, that the power is not cut back in the lower gears, and you still have to grip the wheel pretty good.

Yes, the wheel does tug, but it’s manageable (unless you’re in second and deliberately thuggish with the throttle),
Old 05-19-10, 12:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but that Focus is SICK
Old 07-11-10, 07:06 PM
LexFather

how its made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fliquibzhQ

Old 07-12-10, 12:04 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Man this car is ridiculous. I want one so bad! Ford please at least bring the RS over to the states!!!