Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scion iQ debuts in New York (pg. 5)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 04:26 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Meet the Scion of Aston Martin, Transformed in Texas

The absolute joke of a project that was the Aston Martin Cygnet, a Toyota iQ with a British-flavored maquillage and a hysterical starting price of around £31,000 or more than $50,000, was put to rest last October, ending an awkward chapter in the brand's long history. Aston never offered the Cygnet in the States, but there is at least one example on this side of the pond that mimics its looks.

It is owned by Texas lawyer Robert Kleinman, who went into a lot of trouble to transform the front half of his Scion iQ into an Aston Martin Cygnet. And by that, we don't mean with reproduction parts, but with original components sourced from "AstonMartinBits" and shipped from England.

According to Cartalk, the project cost just under $10,000 (less than €7,300 or £6,000) to complete, and as you can see from the counselor's pictures, he opted not to include the Aston Martin logos.

Kleinman's story follows right below the jump.

By John Halas

Thanks to Robert Kleinman for the heads up! [Photos courtesy of Robert Kleinman]

[From Robert Kleinman]
“I could tell you I believed driving an iQ would send just the right message for my small Austin [law] practice, but my decision to buy the iQ was driven as much by my heart as my head. In any event, once I took delivery of the iQ, I fell deeply and profoundly in love: I’ve never had a car with a fraction of its personality. My kids promptly nicknamed the iQ 'Pierogi' because he’s small, chubby and white, and strangers let me into traffic and no one has ever taken a shot at me, which is a positive since this is Texas."

“I’ve been a longtime auto enthusiast but Pierogi was the first car I ever loved enough to want trick out: factory alloy wheels from Japan; TRD sway bar and springs, OEM goodies from Toyota Europe, an aftermarket sound system, etc. I used to tell others that mine was equipped with 'The Ancients of MuMu Sport Pack,' a reference to THE KLF of acid house fame."

“As a car nut, I was of course aware of the Aston Martin Cygnet. Like any self-respecting car nut, I’m a huge Aston devotee. I took Aston’s decision to develop the Toyota iQ as objective validation of the car’s bold innovation and uniqueness. From a trademark attorney’s point of view, I see the Cygnet almost as intellectual property performance art; it’s the ultimate derivative work."

“Visually I find the Cygnet far more attractive than the iQ. When Aston Martin announced in October 2013 that the Cygnet was going out of production, it immediately popped in my head to get in touch with Aston to see if they had any spare parts lying about for sale. One thing led to another, and before I knew it I was dealing directly with Alistair Elliot, the cheerful proprietor of AstonMartinBits, which may or may not be based in Swindon. Anyway, Alistair was fun to work with and indispensible for carrying out the transformation I had in mind. He hooked me up with all the hardware."

"While AstonMartinBits was my parts supplier, Berli’s, a quality-obsessed body shop in Pflugerville, Texas was hired to carry out the transformation. Berli’s manager, Chad Kiffe, shared my enthusiasm. And as a bonus, Berli’s even assigned the projected to a certified Aston Martin mechanic on its staff. Berli’s did a flawless job at a fair price."

“I wanted to keep Pierogi as a Scion rather than trying to pass him off as an Aston. As far as I’m concerned, the Aston Scion is the ultimate hybrid. It’s just about done now, a couple minor tweaks remaining.

“The biggest surprise is the unexpected attention Pierogi has drawn from the opposite sex. Once Pierogi made the transition from Scion iQ to Aston Scion, stylish females made it a point to let me know how 'adorable' they found him. It’s amazing what a good nose job will do for you. But as a practical matter, this unexpected benefit has turned out to be of no use whatsoever since I’m boring and happily married."
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/mee...ansformed.html
Old 05-15-14, 04:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Silly little car but the Cygnet looks much better than the iQ it's based
Old 05-15-14, 04:42 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I think these are kinda cute.
Old 05-15-14, 04:54 PM
Hoovey689

^ Aston Martin Cygnet; Très Chic

Old 05-15-14, 07:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

iQ is/was a great car... wonderful suspension in such small vehicle.

It would have worked way better if they covered interior in leather and called it a Lexus... as it is way more expensive built than bigger Yaris in any case.
Old 05-15-14, 09:01 PM
LexFather

I believe Aston discontinued it. I like them but the pretty low gas mileage for the car the size of my shoe is perplexing....

Old 05-15-14, 11:50 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexFather
I believe Aston discontinued it. I like them but the pretty low gas mileage for the car the size of my shoe is perplexing....
I imagine it's in part to the tiny engine being strained. I have to wonder if the ESh powertrain in the CT would yield even more impressive results than the 1.8L
Old 05-16-14, 01:12 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Did they? I thought they needed the Cygnet fr CAFE reasons or am I remembering wrong.
Old 05-16-14, 05:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jwong77
Did they? I thought they needed the Cygnet fr CAFE reasons or am I remembering wrong.
No joke I think they sold like 30.... So they canned it

Old 05-16-14, 09:49 AM
Hoovey689

Yeah it was axed. Honestly CAFE shouldn't apply to little outfits like AM, or at least not as strict as the larger automakers
Old 05-16-14, 09:51 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I know Aston no longer makes the Cygnet. But Toyota still makes the iQ right?
Old 05-16-14, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

^ yeah Scion lists it on their website starting at $16,420. Just $80 shy of their xD
Old 05-16-14, 02:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

iQ gets some of the best real life mileage in Europe of any car sold there, so I am sure US is the same.

Problem is that its shape is not good for aero so it sucks in official tests.

But in real life, it is good. Technologically, it is very advanced vehicle, it has most advanced platform of any Toyota vehicle... which makes it expensive and sell bad in the end.
Old 01-16-15, 06:06 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Scion exec confirms the iQ is getting the axe

Company only sold 1,953 iQs last year

Scion Group Vice President Doug Murtha has confirmed the slow selling iQ will be dropped from the company's lineup.

Speaking to Bloomberg, Murtha said the iQ was a “healthy experiment” but ultimately didn't work out because American consumers weren't willing to embrace the car's small size. The car's pricing didn't help matters either as the iQ starts at $16,435 which is just $465 less than the larger and more practical Toyota Corolla.

As a result, Murtha confirmed the iQ won't be “staying in the lineup too much longer." This isn't a huge loss as Car & Driver reports the company only sold 1,953 iQs last year.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501168...etting-the-axe
Old 01-16-15, 07:26 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong, having a small car is great if you live in a city but the fuel economy isn't the best. It matches some larger cars. If this thing managed to get like 70+ mpg city, maybe it would have done better.

Quick Reply: Scion iQ debuts in New York (pg. 5)