Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SuperGT Opener: Two Honda HSV-010s crash and burn at SuperGT season opener

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 05:22 PM
LexFather

Post SuperGT Opener: Two Honda HSV-010s crash and burn at SuperGT season opener

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/23/v...ene/#continued

The 12 Hours of Sebring wasn't the only season opener to take place this past weekend, as teams across Japan descended on Suzuka for the first race of the 2010 SuperGT season. And spectators didn't just enjoy the inaugural outing of the new Honda HSV-010 GT500 racers, they saw two of the five Hondas crash in spectacular fashion.

A slight drizzle at the start of the race resulted in the pole-sitting No. 18 Weider Honda, piloted by Takashi Kogure, to run off track and fall towards the back of the pack. Kogure later set the fastest time (1:55.555) during his fifth lap, working his way up to eighth place in the process. But one lap later, Kogure, the No. 32 Epson HSV-010 and No. 8 ARTA HSV-010 made an impromptu sandwich going into the first corner, sending the No. 18 and No. 8 Honda's into the wall.

You can check out the race results, along with the crash and the aftermath
in the video after the jump, and get an eyeful from Suzuka in the gallery below.

Old 03-23-10, 06:29 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda sad for two of the three HSV's to end up like that at the season opener
Old 03-23-10, 06:44 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch! I watched the video and I'm still not sure what exactly happened, but what I do know is that the guy in the middle car that almost got sandwiched between the two cars that eventually crashed either has some mad skills or great luck!

PS I'm not sure what the commentators where saying as the cars crashed but I'm pretty sure it started with 'Holy Crap.......'
Old 03-23-10, 06:59 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Dk @ 2:07!
Old 03-23-10, 07:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS350 at 3:02 , along with all the SC430s running around on-track of course.

Sad that two Hondas crashed in the season opener, but I can't help but say this is more fail for Honda, even though the crash might have been driver error.

In either case, looks like Honda has not properly sorted out all the problems with their new car.

Good that one Honda finished in the Top 5, but not all that great overall. Three Toyotas, one Honda, and one Nissan in the Top 5, so Toyota continues to dominate with the SCs.
Old 03-23-10, 07:51 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TripleL
Ouch! I watched the video and I'm still not sure what exactly happened, but what I do know is that the guy in the middle car that almost got sandwiched between the two cars that eventually crashed either has some mad skills or great luck!

PS I'm not sure what the commentators where saying as the cars crashed but I'm pretty sure it started with 'Holy Crap.......'
it looks like the middle car braked that's why the other 2 hit.
Old 03-23-10, 08:02 PM
LexFather

Might as well crash them, they aren't going to build them

SC 430s still performed well and they are on the way out with the LFA GT car coming The IS 350 performed well in its class as well!

Old 04-08-10, 06:04 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=891199

Victory for the new Honda HSV - 010GT in its second race!
Weider HSV-010 erases last round's nightmare with perfect win

=====================================================================

The OKAYAMA GT 300km RACE, Round 2 of the 2010 AUTOBACS SUPER GT, was held at the Okayama International Circuit (one lap 3.703 km x 82 laps) in Okayama Pref. on April 4. Fierce battles unfolded on the track under fair spring skies, and when the racing was over, the pole-starting Weider HSV-010 driven by Takashi Kogure and Loic Duval held onto the lead throughout the race to take the win. This gave the new Honda HSV - 010GT its first win in only the second race of its debut season.
Starting from the front row of the grid, Loic Duval got a fine start in the Weider HSV-010 and pulled out into the lead. Through the early stages of the race, the second-position starter ZENT CERUMO SC430 held on stubbornly to the pace about four seconds behind. Eventually, however, Duval began to pull away and open up the margin over the ZENT CERUMO SC430. Duval finally brought the Weider HSV-010 back to the pit for its routine pit stop at the end of lap 47. The team performed the pit work with no mishaps and during the second half of the race Takashi Kogure took charge and used his well-known sprint ability to widen the gap with 2nd further to over 10 seconds.
While keeping one eye on the increasingly intense battle for 2nd going on behind him, Kogure ran steadily lap after lap to the goal and the win. With the exception of the time in their pit stop, the team never lost its lead during the race to score a perfect pole-to-checkered victory. This win made up for the frustration of the opening round, where the same Weider team had won the pole position only to be forced out of the competition by an accident.
The name of Honda's new HSV-010 GT machine contains a reference to the "speed" that was the key concept in its development. It has certainly proven that speed already, by winning the pole position in its debut race at the season opener and then winning the race convincingly here in round 2.

The winner of the GT300 class was the Up Start MOLA Z driven by Naoki Yokomizo and Tsubasa Abe, starting from second position on the grid. The pole-starting JLOC Lamborghini RG-3 dropped out of contention when its pit work took longer than the other teams. Then, the RX7 that had taken over the lead developed machine trouble and crashed out of the race. Through these developments, the two drivers of the Up Start MOLA Z maintained a strong and steady pace to race on to victory.
(Spectators: 16,000)
Old 04-08-10, 04:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So the HSV actually won, good job Honda. Too bad the other HSVs did not do good. Only one HSV in the Top 5.

Three SCs finished in the Top 5.
Old 04-08-10, 04:53 PM
LexFather

Great job. Sad they won't build it and they should be happy rules were changed so a non production car could compete.

Is there anyway to catch these races live or anyway? I would love to watch.

TRD, yeah this is the SC last year before the LFA comes to compete.

Old 04-08-10, 07:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great job. Sad they won't build it and they should be happy rules were changed so a non production car could compete.

Is there anyway to catch these races live or anyway? I would love to watch.

TRD, yeah this is the SC last year before the LFA comes to compete.
Interesting, do you have insider info about the LFA being in Super GT . I mean I assumed it would happen myself, yet some people were doubting this. Doesn't surprise me, I expected them to change to the LFA in Super GT. It's an obvious move to make given the LFA is the flagship Lexus, and not just that but the flagship coupe and the flagship sporty Lexus.

Honda is indeed extremely lucky the rules were bent to allow the HSV to race.

More importantly, I hope Toyota does end up joining Le Mans again, and racing Le Mans with the LFA. Without F1, they need that international exposure. It would be great for them in Europe.
Old 04-08-10, 08:19 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

The LFA is not going to be in Super GT. The only way that would happen, is if Honda manned up and made a production HSV.

Otherwise, no dice.
Old 04-08-10, 08:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

God I really want to watch these races. With F1 kind of lacking nowadays, there isn't much else to watch other than maybe off-roading stuff.
Old 04-08-10, 09:34 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
The LFA is not going to be in Super GT. The only way that would happen, is if Honda manned up and made a production HSV.

Otherwise, no dice.
I think the LFA could run in GT300. It would be difficult for the LFA to be competitive in GT500 since the production car is already basically a race car.
Old 04-08-10, 09:37 PM
LexFather

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/08/t...tender-render/

Take a look at the field of 2010 SuperGT competitors and something's amiss. Nissan's been campaigning its new GT-R in the series for two years and Honda recently revealed the HSV-010 before its inaugural run in the series this May. What's missing? A new competitor from Toyota.

Jyuichi Wakisaka and Andre Lotterer took the overall GT500 win in the team's Lexus SC430 last year, but that model is not long for this world, so it's just a matter of time before Toyota fields a new car in the series. So what's set to take the SC430's place? The answer's obvious: the Lexus LFA.

Although Toyota's yet to confirm the LFA's entrance (we're expecting an announcement later this year), Iain Chandler, a skilled 3D artist hailing from Australia, has rendered a GT500-class LFA, complete with six sets of livery. While it's far from official it's a pretty good indication of what to expect when Toyota finally pulls the trigger, and Lotterer seems to approve – he posted the images on his site.
More renderings

http://the-ic.deviantart.com/art/Sup...WIP2-144384542

Quick Reply: SuperGT Opener: Two Honda HSV-010s crash and burn at SuperGT season opener