Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry places first in MT comparo (grabs popcorn)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 09:26 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...tima_ex_page_5

my last gen accord spanked camry in C/D comparison.
Old 03-15-10, 09:51 PM
LexFather

It's common knowledge that the mags might request a car but the company sends what they want. Considering most all are not sport models I assume hyundai sent it.

Don't worry it just beat the 6 and accord in Edmonds

Old 03-15-10, 10:35 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

wasn't the fusion their car of the year? doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-16-10, 04:25 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

For pure driving dynamics, drive a Camry, then a Sonata, then a Fusion... IMO no contest...
Old 03-16-10, 08:48 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having ridden in both the Fusion and Camry I think they're crazy. The Fusion is better than the Camry in pretty much every meaningful measure.

The Camry's interior isn't even high quality... it's not bad compared to the competition but it's certainly not the class leader. So we have a boring car with acceptable quality. What exactly is making it #1? More rear seating space? Good grief. Better predicted reliability? I think everyone by now realizes that's not a safe prediction to make with any car... even Toyota, these days.
Old 03-16-10, 09:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
you are having an breakdown here eh? ;-)

Camry has been facelifted for 2010, it got new engine and transmission. Thats why ratings are different.

If you are buying vehicle for family (and this was family sedan test), then yes things like back seat, trunk entry, suspension comfort, etc, do matter... a lot.
Old 03-16-10, 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
For pure driving dynamics, drive a Camry, then a Sonata, then a Fusion... IMO no contest...
The Mazda6, which was not included in the test, is (probably) sportier any any of these in the driving-dynamics department. Mazdas have been that way for decades.
Old 03-16-10, 10:04 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Mazda6, which was not included in the test, is (probably) sportier any any of these in the driving-dynamics department. Mazdas have been that way for decades.
Agreed... look at the segments and how the Mazda 3, 6, CX-7, CX-9... even the RX-8 ALL compare for best-in-class driving dynamics!
Old 03-16-10, 03:29 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

For a middle sized family sedan, I agree Toyota Camry is probably the best choice. What do you expect the most from a mid-sized family sedan? In my opinon being reliable, quiet and comfortable, roomy cabin, user-friendly controls, low maintanence, acceptable fuel economy and realatively easy to afford price are more important than driving dynamics, special aggressive looks, and fancy features.
Old 03-16-10, 08:09 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

anyway about 0-60..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8FOpDZM8BI

0-60 7.2 seconds. gas at 14.8 60 at 22 seconds. sure it's probably not 100% accurate, but he did that twice. defintiely under 8 seconds and he isn't even a pro. my buddy who has GLS gets below 8 seconds all the time. he gets mid to high 7's every time he clocks it. i don't know why 0-60 numbers are so slow in this comparison. i know sonata was #1, but even for all other cars seems bit slower. edmunds got 7.7 for sonata GLS and they are known for being very very slow.

anyway that's how SE sounds like. it actually sounds like a sporty sedan. SE is definitely more sports oriented. if they prefer comfort then limited would've been a much better choice.
Old 03-16-10, 09:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
you are having an breakdown here eh? ;-)

Camry has been facelifted for 2010, it got new engine and transmission. Thats why ratings are different.

If you are buying vehicle for family (and this was family sedan test), then yes things like back seat, trunk entry, suspension comfort, etc, do matter... a lot.
lol

The backseat of the Camry is huge. I was shocked at how much room it had.

Old 03-16-10, 10:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

i don't why they tested SE rather than limited. limited would've scored better because it's 70 decibel level is 2nd quietest. SE has nice throaty sound, but it is significantly noisy IMO.

anyway, i strongly disagree with the article. i really can't see camry being #1 at anything except for being the reliability king. i would've scored accord over camry easily.
also, i can't believe the low 0-60 numbers on all cars. Edmunds had it 7.7 for sonata and edmunds is notriously slow on 0-60.

and a new sonata owner recently posted 7.2 0-60 with a timer.
my ranking

1. sonata & fusion
2. accord & altima
3. malibu & camry

i have not driven new legacy yet, so i don't know. but i could careless about new legacy's design.
no that would be Kia sorento. 59 decibel compared to 68-69 on these midsize 4 bangers.

sonata limited do have 2nd quietest official decibel numbers, but they tested SE which is noticeably more noisy. i think having a 18 inch wheel is a big factor in a road noise too.
no that would be Kia sorento. 59 decibel compared to 68-69 on these midsize 4 bangers.

sonata limited do have 2nd quietest official decibel numbers, but they tested SE which is noticeably more noisy. i think having a 18 inch wheel is a big factor in a road noise too.
This is just my opinion, but the Camry won because M/T think midsize buying American will like it the most - quiet, smooth ride, easy to drive, simple controls meaning overall just the epitome of a basic, nothing too fancy. just a decent unoffensive sedan.

and if that's a case, why did they have to chose SE over limited on sonata? why did they go for more performance oriented one than the one that was supposed to be more camry like?

and whatever happened to mazda6? that's not fair for mazda. i can understand optima not being there because it's severely dated. is mazda6 too sporty for this segment? i would be very angry if i was a mazda6 owner. if they are going to compare midsize sedan they should've included mazda6. i know kizashi is a new kid in town and it's not 'best selling', but mazda6 should've been there IMO.

obviously camry being #1 basically means they really didn't put too much emphasis on:

Fun to drive - this is just my opinion, but camry has absolutely zero fun to drive factor just like my wife's elantra. I'm not hating, but that's what camry is. you get no fun out of camry.

style- maybe it's just me but, i find sonata, fusion, malibu much more visually appealing than camry

features - don't quote me on this, but sonata they tested should have much more features than camry. that's why the price is alot more. it also has NAV. basically 26k SE is the loaded one with everything on it.

camry to me is just a decent car with the one of the best reliability(until the recall). but it's hard for me to understand camry winning a comparison test just like it's very hard to imagine my wife's hyundai elantra beating civic or mazda3.
they are very very confused.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/results.html

last year they had Passat #1, sonata #2, and camry #3.

1ST PLACE VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT
Despite a high sticker and thirst for premium, wins by a nose due to driving fun.

so if mazda6 and passat were included, we might see a different results.

utter crap if you ask me.
Basically what they are saying is that the last year sonata would've been #1 in this comparison test if they did add the 2010 sonata.

i totally disagree with that. I really do think current gen sonata is much better than the last gen. last year's sonata is just like camry. reliable, roomy, unoffensive, but kinda boring over all car. yes, it's a great family car, but is it better than stylish 2011 sonata? No friggin way. last gen sonata was as bland as a baked potato with no salt. it gets job done, but what's fun in that? new sonata looks like a luxury car compared to last gen sonata. people pass by hundreds of last gen sonatas everyday, but people probably won't even notice them.
anyway about 0-60..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8FOpDZM8BI

0-60 7.2 seconds. gas at 14.8 60 at 22 seconds. sure it's probably not 100% accurate, but he did that twice. defintiely under 8 seconds and he isn't even a pro. my buddy who has GLS gets below 8 seconds all the time. he gets mid to high 7's every time he clocks it. i don't know why 0-60 numbers are so slow in this comparison. i know sonata was #1, but even for all other cars seems bit slower. edmunds got 7.7 for sonata GLS and they are known for being very very slow.

anyway that's how SE sounds like. it actually sounds like a sporty sedan. SE is definitely more sports oriented. if they prefer comfort then limited would've been a much better choice.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol

The backseat of the Camry is huge. I was shocked at how much room it had.

I think you're the only one here upset hat Hyundai ranked below Toyota. You've mentioned Hyundai and Sonata more times than anyone here. As a matter of fact you mentioned Sonata 22 times! LOL

Facts:

-Camry #1 selling in it's segment for many years.
-Camry beat the Sonata in this test. Period.
-Hyundai is still a great Korean manufacturer.
-Toyota is still #1.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-16-10 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 10:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

I like facts.
Old 03-16-10, 10:52 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Just because you have a family doesn't mean you need to drive a bland microwave.

and dude, go to any other forum. people are furious that camry won the test. honestly i think M/T just wanted an attention. leaving out mazda6 and passat is one thing, but camry beating their own 'car of the year'? lol what are they smoking?

and last year's sonata did beat camry last year. and i really don't believe last gen sonata is anywhere near the new sonata. last gen sonata was a bland snoozer too.

even consumers report had camry finishing 7th. they are more 'enthusiasts' than the controversial motor trend.

and i'll continue to post and reply on cars and brand that i love. if you have a problem with that then don't reply.
Old 03-16-10, 10:53 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

and of course, camry selling #1 has nothing to do with the test. camry sells the most because it's TOYOTA.

people buy toyota and honda regardless of their performance especially in this segment. they could careless about what car finished 1st or last. i would never understand how honda manages to sell 300k accords a year. just look at the exterior design!

and of course there aren't many people who makes big fuss out of this article in this board. most of people here are lexus/toyota homers.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

read all the replies on the article and the community. i'm motortrend forum regular as well. mostly domestic homers there. people over there are infuriated that their fusion lost. most of them thought fusion or sonata should've won. many people think camry should've finished bottom 4. look at the poll.

Poll results.

Which Midsize Sedan Would You Choose?

Chevrolet Malibu
11%(943 votes)

Ford Fusion
30%(2499 votes)

Honda Accord
10%(835 votes)

Hyundai Sonata
25%(2038 votes)

Nissan Altima
4%(354 votes)

Subaru Legacy
7%(543 votes)

Toyota Camry
12%(1003 votes)

Thank you for voting.
Total Votes: 8215

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0iPI4VzkZ

Last edited by joe80; 03-16-10 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Camry places first in MT comparo (grabs popcorn)