Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver: Audi A5 2.0T Quattro vs BMW 328i vs Infiniti G37 vs Lexus IC350C

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 10:17 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

How about some exposed seat rails. This is what you get greeted by when you open the door. All the bolts and mechanism and even grease in the door rails is exposed, and they stick out front way beyond the seat exposing all that beauty. What great attention to detail!

Is that an all weather mat on top of the factory floor mat!
Old 03-12-10, 10:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Is that an all weather mat on top of the factory floor mat!
Nice find,Columbo!!
Old 03-12-10, 10:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes it is an all weather mat on top of the factory mat. Whats wrong with that? It's not an aftermarket one.
Old 03-12-10, 04:10 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You're getting a bit defensive here, nobody is saying that the BMW 3 is pathetic all around, we all agree that the driving experience is great, dramatic driver response but the fact of the matter is, interior quality is horrible, driver comfort is pretty much non-existent.

Originally Posted by DustinV
As a new BMW driver (my first), I have to say that I find the interior of my 1 series well-made and definitely of a high standard. I suppose one can call them a bit bland and unspectacular, but in a way it goes hand-in-hand with the character of most of their cars. BMW sells their cars as "driving machines" where the focus is not the interior, but the way the car drives and the way you feel when you're driving it.

The interior is good - but the driving experience is better (more important). I guess that is a way of looking at it.
And to Och, I know exactly what you mean by the horrible surfaces...and that cup holder? it is a nightmare waiting to happen, almost everything I've put in that cupholder falls right out, I didn't even bother opening it.
Old 03-12-10, 04:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a new BMW driver (my first), I have to say that I find the interior of my 1 series well-made and definitely of a high standard. I suppose one can call them a bit bland and unspectacular, but in a way it goes hand-in-hand with the character of most of their cars. BMW sells their cars as "driving machines" where the focus is not the interior, but the way the car drives and the way you feel when you're driving it.

The interior is good - but the driving experience is better (more important). I guess that is a way of looking at it.
The good old classic defense of BMW owners that "it's not about the interior" .

Fit and finish on BMW models is good, however the actual quality of the interior is NOT.

Look at the shots Och posted, those are just some examples.

The leather on BMWs also really is quite poor.

The design of the interior itself also has problems, like the poorly designed cupholders in several BMW interiors.

It's no surprise that BMW is losing marketshare to Audi worldwide, and to a smaller extent Benz.
Old 03-13-10, 06:40 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Fit and finish on BMW models is good, however the actual quality of the interior is NOT.
Are you referring to workmanship?

Look at the shots Och posted, those are just some examples.
Those are also terrible shots, too. Poor lighting, blurriness - any interior can extremely bad in such situations.

I'm not making excuses here by the way. I find BMW interiors to be well-made, but simply unspectacular and perhaps a bit too conservative in terms of design. However, the new 5er, 7er and X5/X6 have nicely designed interiors in my opinion. The 1 series, 3 series, X1 and X3 have bland interiors from a design point of view.

The leather on BMWs also really is quite poor.
I wouldn't know. Mine has cloth seats.

The design of the interior itself also has problems, like the poorly designed cupholders in several BMW interiors.
When you're driving the ultimate driving machine there is no need for cupholders! We don't want the Diet Coke spilling out, do we?

It's no surprise that BMW is losing marketshare to Audi worldwide, and to a smaller extent Benz.
I find it hard to believe that BMW is loosing market share based on bland interiors. To most people your typical BMW interior will radiate a good quality and workmanship feel. As long as it looks and feels good, there's no problem, really.

Perhaps customers of BMW products care less about the interior quality than say Lexus customers. Companies react to their consumers. If BMW were flooded with complaints about their interiors, then they would react to keep their customers and potential customers happy. Apparently, most owners find there to be nothing wrong with their BMW cabins.
Old 03-13-10, 07:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Those are also terrible shots, too. Poor lighting, blurriness - any interior can extremely bad in such situations.

I'm not making excuses here by the way. I find BMW interiors to be well-made, but simply unspectacular and perhaps a bit too conservative in terms of design. However, the new 5er, 7er and X5/X6 have nicely designed interiors in my opinion. The 1 series, 3 series, X1 and X3 have bland interiors from a design point of view.
Yeah, the shots are blurry, but you can see what I'm referring to - poor workmanship and lack of attention to details.

It is clear that this car was conceived as an Euro econobox, and sugarcoated with some features for American market. The leather quality and upholstery quality is crap because it was meant to be cloth upholstered in Europe, seat rails and switches are junk because it was meant to have manual seats, and so on. And when you start with an econobox, no matter how much you sugarcoat it, it will still show its roots. The Lexus IS on the other hand was designed as a premium car, and you will never find such sloppy workmanship and details in it. Although you will find sloppiness in the rear of the IS convertible, - the convertible version was obviously an afterthought modification to the four door, and some of the plastic panels in the rear and exterior metal gaps are ungodly.
Old 03-13-10, 07:10 AM
LexFather

People dont care b/c it's never been a top selling/strong point (their interiors) especially the 3/x3/1.

Dustin please don't try to minimize or make a fuss over the pics Och posted. He's a trusted member and own both brands. He took the time to explain how he felt and then posted pics. No one else has posted pics so it just builds his credibility compared to those that don't.

No interior is perfect and we can see the clear difference in Japanese design an German design. Some like both some prefer one over the other.

Still not sure how the drab no nav BMW interior was chosen over the IS though it was only by a point.

Old 03-13-10, 08:27 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och

Here's more. This is where the leather on the headrests is cut out around the headrest supports. Note that the cutout isn't even folded and stitched around, its just a hole cut through the leather. That's just pathetic.

How about some 90ies fugly orange gauges? This shot doesn't give them justice, I'll take a night shot later.

How about some exposed seat rails. This is what you get greeted by when you open the door. All the bolts and mechanism and even grease in the door rails is exposed, and they stick out front way beyond the seat exposing all that beauty. What great attention to detail!

And these are just some of the things. There are several other things - for instance the audio system is the worst out of any modern car, even the cheapest of the econocrapboxes. T.
I am also not happy with those exposed rail and crappy sound system in my E92. But the V8 makes up for it, more than enough.
Old 03-13-10, 08:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I am also not happy with those exposed rail and crappy sound system in my E92. But the V8 makes up for it, more than enough.
You guys must be tall to have that much seat rail exposed.
5'10" is average height and I don't think much seat rail is exposed.
At least it wasn't as much for my 5'9".
Old 03-13-10, 08:44 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You guys must be tall to have that much seat rail exposed.
5'10" is average height and I don't think much seat rail is exposed.
At least it wasn't as much for my 5'9".
I am 6'. I kinda like to sit far back. The exposed rail is the 1st thing I always notice when I open the door.
Old 03-13-10, 08:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'm 6'4 so my seat is all the way back. But in any Lexus, even the first gen LS400, the seat rail is not protruding forward beyond the seat, even if the seat is all the way back, and furthermore, the rail is capped off with plastic cap. I wish someone with IS could take a pic.
Old 03-13-10, 09:20 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

my 1995 325i had a better fit and finish then current gen bimmers.
Old 03-13-10, 09:24 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hypnotik

I personally think the audi interior is the ugliest in the bunch. Never liked the overall layout and look of audi interiors
as far as design goes

1. bmw
2. lexus
3. audi
4. infiniti

that's my order. what da hell happened to Audi's interior? they are better than that.
Old 03-13-10, 09:48 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

one thing i know for sure is that some hyundai is put together better than BMW. you will not see many faults on 40k genesis v8. BMW 3 series is my top 3 favorite car right now, but BMW was never known for interior perfection. Lexus used to have perfect fit/finish but i think Lexus lately isn't all that impressive either.

but as far as fit and finish goes, nothing tops Audi IMO.

and seriously G37 interior already looks outdated. maybe there is just too much silver going on. it definitely doesn't below with other 3.

Last edited by joe80; 03-13-10 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver: Audi A5 2.0T Quattro vs BMW 328i vs Infiniti G37 vs Lexus IC350C