Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Allstate Insurance went up 26%!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 03:55 PM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allstate Insurance went up 26%!!

not sure if this is the place to discuss, but...

my friggin allstate 6-month car insurance premium (in nj) went from $491 to $621 !!

this is total bs... and NOTHING changed from period to period... no accidents... no tickets... no claims... in fact i dropped the rental car option on my insurance to lower my premium even further...

i have an 05 ls430 and i'm a 41-yr-old married male with a perfect driving record... and... i've only had allstate for 20 years with 1 claim 10 years ago that cost them about $2k... in those 20 years they've probably collected about $40k in premiums...

i'm really tempted to just drop them...

has anyone else experienced this kind of shafting in nj?
Old 03-10-10, 04:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Not in NJ, but in Georgia.
Old 03-10-10, 04:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do they explain that? Time to shop.
Old 03-10-10, 05:02 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
How do they explain that? Time to shop.
Yup. Get your quotes and if you like your agent give them a chance to beat them. If not then it's time to move on.
Old 03-10-10, 05:26 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Time to go with New Jersey Manufacturers. Premiums are lower than anyone else and it's nice getting money back every year around the holidays
Old 03-10-10, 05:58 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing anywhere you go. I got a real good deal with Allstate, then come renewal time 6 months later, the rates go up. I called them and they told me that there was a rate increase. Honestly, I think I just got a good deal upfront because that's how they get you to switch over.
Old 03-10-10, 08:58 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

call your state senator or local representative.

health insurance went up 39% for some people in Cali, and they had a bigass hearing a few weeks ago.

unless people are not buying ANY car insurance at all, there is no reason for the price increase. is it illegal to drive without insurance in your state?
Old 03-10-10, 09:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd recommend checking out some things:

First, did you add any custom or aftermarket stuff to your LS (wheels, mufflers, lowered suspension, body trim, etc....? That can result in higher rates.

Second, (and perhaps more important), was there a recent change in your credit rating? While not likely, you could have been the victim of identity theft from computer hackers....happens every day. I'd meet with your agent and go over both your credit records and your insurance record there with the company to see what increased your rates that dramatically....or if hackers could have got into your records.

And, for example, your city (or county) in NJ could have experienced a recent spike in auto thefts, making it more of a high-risk area. The recent winter storms in the Northeast (and NJ was no exception) did a lot of damage to cars from various weather-related causes, and some insurance companies lost money on all the claims and repairs. When that happens, insurance rates often go up in the affected areas on everyone, not just for the vehicles that had claims. The companies have to get approval from the State Insurance Comission for that, but often that approval is given.
Old 03-10-10, 09:40 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Tell them to lower your insurance to $450 or you'll drop them on the spot.
Old 03-10-10, 09:42 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

off topic, but my boss did these. he started 'good hands campaign and later hired dennis heysbert and shot first 5-6 commercials with him.

-miracle on ice

-jerry rice and joe montana

but of course, Allstate sucks.
Old 03-10-10, 10:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

My insurance shot up a few years ago due to extra hurricane coverage throughout the state of Florida.
Old 03-10-10, 11:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I am one of those who's Blue Cross/Anthem insurance went up 39%. The increase is currently frozen, but I am sure my next bill will have the increase until something or someone else steps in. In the meantime, I'm looking at other carriers. This is after 13 years of on-time payments and very few/low claims for normal sickness. Bottom line, nothing is assured anymore. It's today's season to be a provider and make the most money/profits as possible off of people and their survival. (For some reason, the word Chevron just popped in mind.)
Old 03-11-10, 05:46 AM
LexFather

Just look at his smirk

Old 03-11-10, 05:55 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago, insurance went up $300 without me making any claims, getting tickets, or accidents. Just called my agent and exchanged some "friendly" language and he adjusted the price back to where it was... (make sure they don't tone down your coverage if you plan on doing this)
Old 03-11-10, 06:14 AM
danxp
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd recommend checking out some things:

First, did you add any custom or aftermarket stuff to your LS (wheels, mufflers, lowered suspension, body trim, etc....? That can result in higher rates.

Second, (and perhaps more important), was there a recent change in your credit rating? While not likely, you could have been the victim of identity theft from computer hackers....happens every day. I'd meet with your agent and go over both your credit records and your insurance record there with the company to see what increased your rates that dramatically....or if hackers could have got into your records.

And, for example, your city (or county) in NJ could have experienced a recent spike in auto thefts, making it more of a high-risk area. The recent winter storms in the Northeast (and NJ was no exception) did a lot of damage to cars from various weather-related causes, and some insurance companies lost money on all the claims and repairs. When that happens, insurance rates often go up in the affected areas on everyone, not just for the vehicles that had claims. The companies have to get approval from the State Insurance Comission for that, but often that approval is given.
just did a credit report and it was pretty clean... nothing unusual... also, my area did have lots of snow as did most of the northeast, but my premium was billed to me before the big snowstorms... also, i didn't add any mods, but how would they know anyway?

i actually changed from one allstate company to a different allstate company about three years ago...

actually...... wait a second....

i DID have a claim about 6 months ago... it was for a chip in the windshield... it cost all of $75... those allstate f*&kfaces assured me that there would be absolutely no effect to my premium... wow, those lying sacks of *****...

thanks for all the replies

Quick Reply: Allstate Insurance went up 26%!!