Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota dealer group peeved at tax dollar use in GM incentives targeting Toyota owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 10:21 PM
LexFather

Default Toyota dealer group peeved at tax dollar use in GM incentives targeting Toyota owners

Well a lot of us here talked about this.....the Govt has a vested interest in GM/Chrysler...

TOYOTA DEALERS OUTRAGED OVER USE OF TAXPAYER DOLLARS ON GM INCENTIVES TARGETED AT THEIR CUSTOMERS

Toyota Dealers: "Their targeting of our customers using taxpayer dollars is reckless, unfair, and detrimental to the entire auto industry, and to the country."

March 9, 2010 – Today, Toyota dealers across the country are speaking out against General Motors using taxpayer dollars to fund unfair tactics that undermine their businesses. Last week, General Motors launched a nationwide predatory advertising campaign that uses fear in an attempt to lure customers away from Toyota and Lexus dealers.

"Toyota dealers across the country are business owners who stimulate local economies and pay taxes to the government," said Paul Atkinson, President of the Toyota National Dealer Council and owner of Atkinson Toyota in Texas. "It is outrageous that GM is using our taxpayer dollars against us, making me and other Toyota dealers pay to undermine our own businesses."

According to the U.S. Department of the Treasury, the U.S. government owns 60 percent of the equity in General Motors.

"These incentives fail to take into account that, despite some recent problems, Toyota still makes some of the best cars, trucks and SUVs on the road in America," Atkinson continued. "These low-blow tactics pose a real threat to the citizens of the United States if the government lets these slip by."

Last week, Toyota executives wrapped up congressional testimony before the House Energy and Commerce Committee, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and, most recently, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, & Transportation.

"In open and honest testimony before Congress, Toyota executives clearly demonstrated that Toyota is committed to working with regulators to ensure the safety of American drivers," said Atkinson. "It is time for the U.S. government to stop funding these predatory incentives that discourage fellow American citizens from doing business with me. GM said it themselves, 'May the best car win.'"

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/09/t...gm-incentives/

Old 03-09-10, 11:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Government Motors, hard at work wasting the dollars of US taxpayers .
Old 03-10-10, 05:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

GM says they are not using THAT money for THAT, they are using OTHER money

;-)
Old 03-10-10, 06:48 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Maybe they can use some of that "other" money to pay back the taxpayers.
Old 03-10-10, 09:28 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I mentioned it in another thread, but they don't even need to put these ads up, they have their laptop media overblowing all the Toyota issues, but silent about the GM ones......shows how one sided they are, and why testimonies from many of the people involved should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 03-10-10, 09:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

No form of upper government needs to get involved with cars. That's what NHTSA is for. So much tax revenue being wasted. No wonder our country is in debt.
Old 03-10-10, 12:16 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Hence, the reason why I'll never purchase a GM or Chrysler product.
Old 03-10-10, 12:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MI350_55
Hence, the reason why I'll never purchase a GM or Chrysler product.
The GOV bailouts were enough to keep me from buying any GM vehicle.I wouldn't buy a Chrysler vehicle bailout or not.
Old 03-10-10, 01:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Toyota shouldn't complain to much....they made a lot of the money on the cash for clunkers deal and that was tax payer money. It goes both ways toyota. Fair.... NO.....but life is not fair
Old 03-10-10, 01:33 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
No form of upper government needs to get involved with cars. That's what NHTSA is for. So much tax revenue being wasted. No wonder our country is in debt.
Yep - as well as the DOT and the FAA. However, I would like to see the Fed stomp down on BART, CalTrain, San Francisco Muni and AC Transit in the Bay Area with the same passion as they are doing now with Toyota. Especially Muni with their half-assed train control system and central control/drivers as well as neglected buses and light rail cars, AC Transit with their tendencies to hire drivers that get high or drunk behind the wheel and skirting Buy America laws, and lastly BART with their train track mishaps.
Old 03-10-10, 01:46 PM
Bretsuaz
Rookie

I totally agree with Atkinson. In the end though, smart people will see righ through this crap. Not to mention, GM will never be able to stand on their own. I think that as long as GM exists, the government will be involved.

I still think that Toyota builds some of the best cars on the road. I would NEVER buy anything from GM. I think we will continue to see them lose market share.
Old 03-10-10, 01:55 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bretsuaz
I totally agree with Atkinson. In the end though, smart people will see righ through this crap. Not to mention, GM will never be able to stand on their own. I think that as long as GM exists, the government will be involved.
Let the Russians, Chinese or the Indians swallow up GM and dissect them. And then show an iron fist towards the UAW and the Teamsters.