Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Think Driving and Texting is Bad - Well.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 07:45 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Think Driving and Texting is Bad - Well.....

This is funny to read but scary as hell to believe that people like this really do walk among us:

As authorities nationwide warn motorists of the dangers of driving while texting, Florida Keys law enforcement officers add a new caution: Don't try to shave your privates, either.

Florida Highway Patrol troopers say a two-vehicle crash Tuesday at Mile Marker 21 on Cudjoe Key was caused by a 37-year-old woman driver who was shaving her bikini area while her ex-husband took the wheel from the passenger seat.

"She said she was meeting her boyfriend in Key West and wanted to be ready for the visit," Trooper Gary Dunick said. "If I wasn't there, I wouldn't have believed it. About 10 years ago I stopped a guy in the exact same spot ... who had three or four syringes sticking out of his arm. It was just surreal and I thought, 'Nothing will ever beat this.' Well, this takes it."

If that weren't enough, Megan Mariah Barnes was not supposed to be driving and her 1995 Ford Thunderbird was not supposed to be on the road.

The day before the wreck, Barnes was convicted in an Upper Keys court of DUI with a prior and driving with a suspended license, said Monroe County Assistant State Attorney Colleen Dunne. Barnes was ordered to impound her car, and her driver's license was revoked for five years, after which time she must have a Breathalyzer ignition interlock device on any vehicle she drives, Dunne said. Barnes also was sentenced to nine months' probation.

Barnes and Charles Judy were southbound in her Thunderbird at 11 a.m. when they slammed into the back of a 2006 Chevrolet pickup driven by David Schoff of Palm Bay. His passengers were a man and two women; the latter were treated for minor injuries at Lower Keys Medical Center, FHP spokesman Alex Annunziato said.

Schoff had slowed to about 5 mph to make a turn when the Thunderbird hit him, traveling about 45 mph, which was within the speed limit, Dunick said.

Barnes allegedly drove another half-mile, then switched seats with Judy, who allegedly claimed to be driving, Annunziato said.

"She jumps in the back seat and he moves over," Dunick said. "It was like the old comedy bit, 'Who's on first?' "

Burns on Judy's chest from the passenger-side airbag deploying belied their story, Dunick said. The airbag in the steering wheel did not deploy, he said.

Troopers charged Barnes with driving with a revoked license, reckless driving, leaving the scene of a wreck with injuries and driving with no insurance. Judy was not charged.

Barnes faces a maximum of a year in jail if found guilty of violating her probation due to the wreck, Dunne said.

"My phone has been ringing off the hook all day, and I know there's a funny side to this, but it's also deadly serious. This is a scary road and a lot of bad wrecks are caused by dumb stuff like this," Dunick said. "It is unbelievable. I'm really starting to believe this stuff only happens in the Keys."

Link
Old 03-08-10, 08:12 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ugly AND stupid
Old 03-08-10, 08:31 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the worst part of this story is...

She was driving on a suspended license.
She was driving in essentially an un-registered car (was to be impounded).
She was driving with no car insurance.
She left the scene of an accident.
She's charged with reckless driving.
She was doing something as STUPID as shaving her bikini area WHILE driving.

And the sum-total result of these actions is she faces a MAXIMUM of one year in jail.

I guess she's lucky she didn't kill somone...she'd wind up getting 18 months then.
Old 03-08-10, 08:33 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need stricter enforcement on how we give licenses. I don't care if you have a job to get to, find another way to get there if you can't drive.
Old 03-08-10, 08:33 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I think the worst part of this story is...

She was driving on a suspended license.
She was driving in essentially an un-registered car (was to be impounded).
She was driving with no car insurance.
She left the scene of an accident.
She's charged with reckless driving.
She was doing something as STUPID as shaving her bikini area WHILE driving.

And the sum-total result of these actions is she faces a MAXIMUM of one year in jail.

I guess she's lucky she didn't kill somone...she'd wind up getting 18 months then.
lol you didn't expand on shaving your crotch while driving to see your current boyfriend while traveling with your ex-husband.
Old 03-08-10, 08:59 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The headline on the original story from the keys is great:

FHP: Driver lacked razor-sharp focus
Old 03-08-10, 09:12 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lmao wow thats one thing i wouldnt think someone would do while driving
Old 03-08-10, 09:12 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

How can a loser such as this be so busy and short on time to have to shave her pubes while driving?
Old 03-08-10, 09:20 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
lol you didn't expand on shaving your crotch while driving to see your current boyfriend while traveling with your ex-husband.
I was wondering the same thing, how did she get the ex-husband to drive with her to the bf's house. Ex-Husband is a sucker........
Old 03-08-10, 09:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

That takes 'Keys disease' to a whole new level.
Old 03-08-10, 09:30 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by Habious
While I agree with you that the justice here won't be nearly what is needed for someone who clearly doesn't get it, I think you missed something: she was going to be wearing something that showed her bikini area. How is that not the commission of a crime? And how sad is her boyfriend that he's looking to the repeat DUI pool for a date? I know that's the first thing I look for when I go looking - who is going to be able to crash my cars illegally when she goes on a bender, but wants to look good for me when doing it??

Big Mack
Old 03-08-10, 09:52 AM
seanlee
Driver

too bad she didn't drive a Toyota, or else she can blame un-intended acceleration and every news agency (include people in Oscar) would stand on her side.
Old 03-08-10, 09:56 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think they made T-bird convertibles in 95, so at least she didn't have the top down...
Old 03-08-10, 10:47 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

"Don't try to shave your private parts, either" HAHA
Old 03-08-10, 11:13 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
That's what I found hilarious.

Quick Reply: Think Driving and Texting is Bad - Well.....