Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How do you import and register a JDM vehicle into the US?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 06:46 AM
SC4soarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you import and register a JDM vehicle into the US?

I have been playing with this idea for quiet a long time now and have finally become more serious about this. I am planning to import and register a JDM vehicle into the US, specifically register it in Chicago, IL.

My vehicle of choice is either the Toyota Soarer 4.0GT-L or Toyota Aristo 4.0Zi-Four. I have heard and read articles that the imported vehicle would have to go through emission testing and that it is very hard, or nearly impossible, to register cars from Japan. I know however that the right-hand-drive part is not the problem. But I also know that there must be an easier way around all this to register a car like this. I have seen many JDM vehicles imported from Japan that sell on eBay and Craigslist nationwide. Do you know whats the best and cheapest way?

The Soarer 4.0GT-L and the Aristo 4.0Zi-Four both are the US equivalents of the Lexus SC400 and GS400. The engines are the same, so engine modifications do not have to be done.

I am asking those who have experience in this matter. I am very serious about this, so any help or tip is greatly appreciated. If you can pin-point me to a dealer or shop that specializes in JDM imports, let me know! I know it's possible and I know it can be done in a less pricey way than some suggest.

I am also considering using JDM vehicles strictly for parts purposes (such as transfering the RHD parts of a Toyota Soarer into my SC400). Is that the possible way around??

ANY help would be awesome!!

PS: People have been asking "why would you want a RHD?" Well what can I tell them? Im not asking anybody why they put bodykits on their cars or why they supercharge them. It's just a personal project of mine and I want to get as close to original JDM as possible. It's a taste of mine. Being unique perhaps? I just want it!

Old 03-02-10, 08:29 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone enlighten me on this but are RHD cars even allowed in America?????

Thanks
Old 03-02-10, 08:34 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as it meets NHTSA safety standards, yes.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT
Old 03-02-10, 08:40 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

yes they are allowed but like the op said, the emissions is what kills you. also dont they cut the cars in half when shipping them over? ie front clip off?
Old 03-02-10, 08:44 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bro, I hate to break it to you, but if there was an easy, inexpensive way to import JDM vehicles, we'd all be doing it.

The reality is that Customs is going to be your first roadblock. They keep a special eye out for big-ticket items like cars. They have the authority to impound and destroy your car since it will not meet NHTSA/DOT standards.

You could pay for your car in Japan, be out a ton of cash, and then never even see the car or have access to it after that point.

It will not have a US-compliant VIN, so forget registering it with your DMV or insurance. You won't be issued a VIN unless you can prove that the car has been modified to have US-compliant lights, emissions, and safety equipment.

Simply saying "it's the same as an SC400 or GS400" isn't going to fly. These aren't car people. They won't care, and even if they did, the process doesn't work that way.

Also, RHD cars have headlights that will have to be re-adjusted or replaced in order to work safely on US roads.

There are companies that will import and convert a vehicle for you, legit. But you're look at 6 months and $75,000-$100,000, not including the price of the vehicle.

A lot of us had dreams like you, but they're better left as dreams unless you have the money and patience to do it right. Unless you have connections in Customs, NHTSA, your DMV, and insurance company, forget it.
Old 03-02-10, 01:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Make sure you do it legit. We all heard the horror stories of the Government seizing cars from customers. Some of these cars have been in the states for 20 years and now the government wants to come in and steal them ....err.....seize them
Old 03-02-10, 02:12 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, since you are getting the V8 models, which in term the tranny and engine are the same. There is no point to import the whole car over and going through the troubles.
Just buy interior parts, dash, gauge cluster, seats, airbag, Stereo ( JDM 4.0 has TV, which is not going to work here though )
Exterior all you need is badges and rear wiper etc.
This will save you tons of money and in the end, you will still have a JDM SC.
Old 03-04-10, 07:20 PM
SC4soarer
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the replies!

AdrianXT, thanks especially for the long explanation of the rough process that importing vehicles have to go through. To be honest, I have already heard that part before, but I never wanted to believe it would be so troublesome. However, I have found perhaps a dozen or so nationwide advertisements on craigslist (after going through each major city, lol how tedious!!) where people sell "legit" JDM cars with US titles. Today I have spotted one Soarer 3.0GT-T, where everything is original, yes including RHD. He was asking $15000, which is not THAT bad, compared to some Skylines and Supras. But yeah, I am still looking for shortcuts. Even after you have broken it down so horribly but truthfully to me, I still have hope for a shortcut Yes, ...dreams!

Which brings me to blacksc400. Yes, this is exactly what I was intending to do. This is what my plan is now and I am literally browsing the net everyday in search for those parts and/or whole front clips (let me know if you know a good source!!). But before I am going to proceed with this plan, I just wanted to get all possible info on importing and registering.

Thanks again guys.

Gosh... why do they make it soooo hard for us?! We all just have innocent but greatly exciting dreams... *siiigh*
Old 03-04-10, 07:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

It didn't used to be so hard. I knew a guy with a Fairlady Z in Sacramento. But most of the RHD cars you're seeing were imported before customs really started cracking down on grey market cars. Back in the 80's and 90's, active duty military could get Japanese cars imported when returning from overseas. Not any more. Between EPA and NHTSA it's hard, and making the first hoop through customs is, well, near impossible.

Here's customs information on importing a car:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...orting_car.xml

It's not easy...
Old 03-04-10, 09:50 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4soarer
Thank you all for the replies!

AdrianXT, thanks especially for the long explanation of the rough process that importing vehicles have to go through. To be honest, I have already heard that part before, but I never wanted to believe it would be so troublesome. However, I have found perhaps a dozen or so nationwide advertisements on craigslist (after going through each major city, lol how tedious!!) where people sell "legit" JDM cars with US titles. Today I have spotted one Soarer 3.0GT-T, where everything is original, yes including RHD. He was asking $15000, which is not THAT bad, compared to some Skylines and Supras. But yeah, I am still looking for shortcuts. Even after you have broken it down so horribly but truthfully to me, I still have hope for a shortcut Yes, ...dreams!

Which brings me to blacksc400. Yes, this is exactly what I was intending to do. This is what my plan is now and I am literally browsing the net everyday in search for those parts and/or whole front clips (let me know if you know a good source!!). But before I am going to proceed with this plan, I just wanted to get all possible info on importing and registering.

Thanks again guys.

Gosh... why do they make it soooo hard for us?! We all just have innocent but greatly exciting dreams... *siiigh*
Good luck on your finding.
BTW, I know a company called JZS international on Ebay, they sell all JDM parts, you name it, they have it. I purchased couple stuffs from them before, ordered JDM parts for my LS, received in 5 days after order
Old 03-16-10, 07:58 PM
celm
Pole Position

ill sell you my 93 JDM aristo.it has a Fl title