Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

6 reasons why we still love Toyota

Old 02-23-10, 12:09 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 reasons why we still love Toyota

Japan's Toyota company is in all sorts of turmoil. It has had to launch a massive global recall to repair accelerator pedal faults on several series of cars -- faults that have been blamed for deaths and accidents. Consumer and investor confidence in the world's largest automaker has been severely dented.

While we totally respect the severity of the issues facing Toyota as well as the concerns of Toyota owners everywhere, we can't but help imagine what a weird place the world would be if, for some reason, there were no Toyota vehicles on our roads.

And with that in mind, we rolled up the garage door to find the best Toyota vehicles, ever. If we've missed your favorite, make sure you let us know in the comments section below.

Toyota Crown Royal Saloon

Power windows make the Toyota Crown Royal Saloon fit for a king.
1. Toyota Crown Royal Saloon

This was a tank. It weighed about as much as one and was pretty much damage resistant. Poles, parking pylons and smaller cars bounced off it like boiled eggs off a Teflon frying pan. Flush with then-luxurious features like air conditioning, power steering and power windows, you didn’t drive, you glided. Trouble was it took a bit to get going. The power to weight ratio was a bit lackluster with a comparatively tiny 2.6L gas-guzzling motor. But once this beast got some momentum nothing could stop it. Not even old age. These beasts can still be found trawling the streets, most often driven by long-time retirees. And in the Antipodes, expect bowling hats on that back window shelf.

Toyota Crown Comfort

The car for the people -- the Toyota Crown Comfort.
2. Crown Comfort

A relative of the Crown above, the Crown Comfort is the people's car. Well at least in Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong, where it is the car for the people as it makes up most of the taxi fleet. In Hong Kong, you don't need a car. You already have one. It is red, and it is always around, except -- like most things -- when you really, really need one. That said, the best thing about these cars is their abundance. The worst thing is the people that drive them (at least in Hong Kong). The fact that these cars put up with severe accelerator and brake abuse and still manage to chug along is a tribute to their reliability and longevity.

Toyota Corolla

Don't mind the baby puke color, the Toyota Corolla is sex on wheels.
3. Toyota Corolla

The car of choice for any new, impoverished, and most likely first time car owner -- the 20 year old Corolla. Reliable, if not sexy, the Corolla is the world's biggest selling car. EVER. It is sold in over 850 countries, and since it was launched in 1966 over 35 million of these agile vehicles have hit the roads. According to Wikipedia (so it must be true), one of these is sold on average every 40 seconds. Do the math on that.

Also on Wikipedia, this little known (well at least to us) fact: Corona, a Toyota model pre-dating the Corolla, comes from the Latin word for small crown while another Toyota model, Camry, is the Anglicized (ie. butchered) pronunciation of the Japanese word for crown, kanmuri. You can sleep easy now.

Toyota Celica

The Toyota Celica in its traditional stomping ground.
4. Toyota Celica

The stuff dreams were made off for young teenage boys. Forget a Ferarri, Lambo Countach or even a Porsche. If you had one of these Celicas, you knew you had made it. Made what exactly, is another question. This was the poor man's sex on wheels sports car -- a sprightly number that looked racy and was racy. It was originally conceived for those that couldn’t afford the damn sexy 200GT (almost everyone). But by the mid 1990s, when angles were replaced by curves, these little beauties were head turners and could be found in the suburban garages of those that wanted a sports car but couldn’t quite afford a real one.

Toyota Land Cruisers

Like most Land Cruisers, this has seen better days.
5. Toyota Land Cruiser

Nowadays, everyone (at least in the United States) has an SUV. They may only be going to the mall, but they're making damn sure they are prepared for any off-roading, should it occur. And should it occur, they will have made a wise choice, if indeed they chose the Land Cruiser. It is in these environs that this brute of a machine marks its territory. It is is one reliable 4WD and in desolate and rather ridiculous places to live, like Outback Australia, they are essential and as much part of the landscape as wallaby and kangaroo roadkill.

The birth of this hugely popular series dates back to Japan's occupation of the Philippines. The Japanese military were impressed with the American Jeep and tasked Toyota with creating a Japanese version. Several models and styles and years later came the Toyota BJ and then the now classic FJ40 in 1960. A legend was born, it grew and it now gives parents everywhere ample room to store the golfclubs and school bags.

Toyota Tundra

Grrrrr!
6. Toyota Tundra

We couldn’t round out our list without including what the Americans call a truck. After much debate about the T100, we opted for the most recent Tundra. This makes our list due to nothing else other than obesity. It is massive, with a bulging 5.7 liter V8 version available. This can tow most large homes, but why bother? Sell the home and live in the cabin and tray. There's room for all the family, as well as the horse and chickens. Better still, leave the kids and beasts at home, stockpile the back with beer and do as the locals do -- head to some sports/music/any event, open the tray and engage in the most civilized of American traditions -- tailgating. That is what this was built for and it shows -- almost 200,000 of them were sold in 2008 before people got all sappy and environmental.

Read more: 6 reasons why we still love Toyota | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/no...#ixzz0gLPgTto5
Old 02-23-10, 12:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The one BIG reason why Toyota will go down in history, though (at least in North America), is that it, and Honda, during the late 70s and 80's, first offered Americans a reliable alternative to the poorly-built and trouble-plagued American-designed vehicles of the period. Once Americans got a taste of Japanese quality and reliability, it was very hard for them (including me), even with Japanese import-car restrictions in effect at the time, to return to their former buying habits.
Old 02-23-10, 12:32 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where's the supra?!!?
Old 02-23-10, 01:23 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by malujerry
where's the supra?!!?
Only Toyota I ever loved was the Supra, everything else is what ever...
Old 02-23-10, 01:51 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Only Toyota I ever loved was the Supra, everything else is what ever...
Without the celica, you would not have the supra.

The Supra started out as a celica with a 6-cylinder and had a different nose/front end.

This was true for the first 2 generations of the supra. When the Celica switched to front-wheel-drive, the Supra remained rwd and stood on its own.

Give me a FJ40 or first-gen Celica anytime!

Last edited by dsp979; 02-23-10 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 02:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaxNine
Without the celica, you would not have the supra.

The Supra started out as a celica with a 6-cylinder and had a different nose/front end.

This was true for the first 2 generations of the supra. When the Celica switched to front-wheel-drive, the Supra remained rwd and stood on its own.

The Supra's downfall was that, by the mid 1990's, it had turned, from an upmarket, RWD coupe related to the Celica, into a very expensive, twin-turbo, high-performance, all-out sports car (though there was also a non-turbo version). By the standards of the time, it had gotten so expensive, and had such high insurance rates, that its sales in North America had dried up to almost nothing. Toyota could have decontented the car and lowered the price, but, like with the competing Mazda RX-7, Dodge Stealth, Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR-4, and Nissan 300ZX, chose not to so so. All of those cars, sadly, were pulled from the American market a short time later.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-10 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 07:51 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this list is irrelevant w/o the MkIV Supra. And why is the Tundra on there?! The Tacoma has a much better resume'
Old 02-23-10, 08:09 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Supra's downfall was that, by the mid 1990's, it had turned, from an upmarket, RWD coupe related to the Celica, into a very expensive, twin-turbo, high-performance, all-out sports car (though there was also a non-turbo version). By the standards of the time, it had gotten so expensive, and had such high insurance rates, that its sales in North America had dried up to almost nothing. Toyota could have decontented the car and lowered the price, but, like with the competing Mazda RX-7, Dodge Stealth, Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR-4, and Nissan 300ZX, chose not to so so. All of those cars, sadly, were pulled from the American market a short time later.
yup, 10 years ago i remember wanting to get one with my friends (well really either the supra TT or the 3000GT VR4) and it was about $50k total and over $10k a year in insurance (i was in high school then) and actually considered just working full time just to afford it. but we rolled in integra's/civics/eclipses instead and went to college instead

lol, dodge stealth. which reminds me of an even more back in the day lol eagle talon.
Old 02-23-10, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by malujerry
yup, 10 years ago i remember wanting to get one with my friends (well really either the supra TT or the 3000GT VR4) and it was about $50k total and over $10k a year in insurance (i was in high school then) and actually considered just working full time just to afford it. but we rolled in integra's/civics/eclipses instead and went to college instead

lol, dodge stealth. which reminds me of an even more back in the day lol eagle talon.
The Stealth, essentially a rebadged and slightly restyled Mitsubishi 3000 GT, was, in general, a lot more car than the Talon, though, if my memory is right, the Stealth did not offer AWD or all-wheel steering like the 3000. The Talon TSI offered AWD but not the all-wheel steering. Most people I know who have an opinion on the subject also agreed that the Stealth looked a little better than its 3000 GT cousin.
Old 02-23-10, 08:47 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i knew they were rebadged cars, but they still looked VERY similar to me. at least today i don't really notice rebadged cars besides the toureg/cayenne and some of the gmc/chevy suv's - those have looked uncomfortably too close (again, imo).
Old 02-23-10, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaxNine
Give me a FJ40 or first-gen Celica anytime!
The early FJ40 Land Cruiser was an interesting competitor to the Jeep CJ series and the first Ford Broncos, but it had one glaring fault......something that made Consumer Reports, at the time, rate it Not Acceptable. The fuel-plumbing lines, running from the tank to the pump and carburator, were actually routed INSIDE the cabin, making for an obvious potential hazard.
Old 02-23-10, 09:54 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Stealth, essentially a rebadged and slightly restyled Mitsubishi 3000 GT, was, in general, a lot more car than the Talon, though, if my memory is right, the Stealth did not offer AWD or all-wheel steering like the 3000. The Talon TSI offered AWD but not the all-wheel steering. Most people I know who have an opinion on the subject also agreed that the Stealth looked a little better than its 3000 GT cousin.
I'm pretty sure the Stealth R/T had the twin turbo & AWD, but it didn't have the all wheel steering or the "active aerodynamics" that the original 3000GT VR4 had.
Old 02-23-10, 10:06 AM
LexFather

Please post a link to the article

Old 02-23-10, 11:46 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What happened to the Cressida?
Old 02-23-10, 11:49 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug