Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT First Drive: 2010 Nissan Patrol

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 10:58 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
One of the few times I've found that I can agree with you, But I don't think that US of A will get the patrol. The LC has a long, long history on American soil, and due to the existence of the LX that history is probably the only reason it is still here.
You should agree with me all the time, lol...j/k...But yeah, before the LX, Toyota used to sell about 12k units a month back in the 80's and early 90's. At its peak, Toyota once sold 30k LX/LC, 15k each combined, of course this was before the Sequoia was born...I think a lot of people forget that the LC is sold in 150 countries in the world and the US/Mexico market is still pretty big even though it sells on 2000-3000 a year...some small countries sell maybe 30 a year.....of course middle east and Australia/Africa will always be bigger....I still believe that the Sequoia will disapear before America gets rid of the LC...IMO of course
Old 02-20-10, 12:54 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by R1R
The QX56 is still their least reliable model, but the new Patrol and QX are being built at the brand new state-of-the-art Nissan Shahai Plant in Kyushu Japan. I would expect a much higher quality product than the current QX. It will be interesting to see how their rank changes once the new QX is on the roads. The M is supposed to be getting additional quality inspectors (women) also.

Every time a vehicle returns to the dealer, for a squeak or rattle, or a more complex problem, it is recorded as just a problem, no way to tell what it is.
Old 02-20-10, 01:02 PM
LexFather

Clearly ten steps above the current pos but it brings nothing new to the segment. 13 mpg and 6000lbs? More of the same.

To me it's going to be the Japanese escalade. You tell me if that's good or bad( the new qx).

Old 02-20-10, 03:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely a great improvement, but the IMHO the exterior does not have as much presence as the Land Cruiser and it looks slightly odd exterior-wise. Interior of course is very nice.

The article states the Land Cruiser currently dominates 90% of the market in Abu Dhabi, and I don't see this Patrol dramatically changing that. As much history and reputation as the Patrol has, the Land Cruiser has more.

Also, electronically-controlled 4x4 system and an independent rear suspension on Nissan's flagship off-road SUV? I think those are some big mistakes.

The previous generation Patrol was not luxurious and excessive enough, but this new model goes to the other extreme. It looks like Nissan has made the new Patrol TOO luxurious and excessive, at the cost of off-road ability.

The Hydraulic Body Motion Control system from Nissan is similar to Toyota's KDSS, but the problem is this system is paired with an independent suspension, as opposed to the Land Cruiser where KDSS is paired with a live axle setup. That gives the Land Cruiser a greater degree of off-road ability, while still having good on-road manners.
Old 02-20-10, 04:04 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6,150lbs???? There are whales that don't weigh this much
Old 02-20-10, 04:26 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To me it's going to be the Japanese escalade. You tell me if that's good or bad( the new qx).
The new QX is going to compete with the LX and Range Rover. Both with size and price as well as featrue and interior. The outgoing QX competed with the Escalade and Navigator. As it stands, the Escalade has never really competed with either the LX470 or 570...both of those vehicle are in a class one notch higher.
Old 02-20-10, 04:54 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by R1R
Looks like Infiniti is now the most reliable Japanese luxury brand, followed by Acura. I believe this is the first time Lexus has ranked 3rd in reliability when compared with Infiniti and Acura... interesting.
Old 02-20-10, 04:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Looks like Infiniti is now the most reliable Japanese luxury brand, followed by Acura. I believe this is the first time Lexus has ranked 3rd in reliability when compared with Infiniti and Acura... interesting.
On average yes, but looking at the chart, the most reliable Lexus models are more reliable than the most reliable Infiniti models. The GS AWD continues to really bring down the Lexus ranking in CR.
Old 02-20-10, 05:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The new QX is going to compete with the LX and Range Rover. Both with size and price as well as featrue and interior. The outgoing QX competed with the Escalade and Navigator. As it stands, the Escalade has never really competed with either the LX470 or 570...both of those vehicle are in a class one notch higher.
Sorry you missed the point.

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I'm sorry but that is one reference point for one year. What hurt Lexus and the GS in particular was the AWD model for whatever reason.

In JD Power and other surveys Acura is barely average and Infiniti jumps from average to top 10 or so depending on the year.

This is also pretty amazing since Lexus offers the most complicated vehicles on the planet like hybrids and they do not.

Old 02-20-10, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's a 6100lb 4x4 ute, what do you expect?
Agreed. We don't get much more than that, overall, with our equally-large, American-namplate SUVs (Tahoe, Expedition, Denali, etc.....). Even the mild-hybrid versions of the GM models generally don't do that much better.
Old 02-20-10, 08:33 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Old 02-20-10, 08:48 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

I'm sorry but that is one reference point for one year. What hurt Lexus and the GS in particular was the AWD model for whatever reason.

In JD Power and other surveys Acura is barely average and Infiniti jumps from average to top 10 or so depending on the year.

This is also pretty amazing since Lexus offers the most complicated vehicles on the planet like hybrids and they do not.
so infiniti has a QX dragging it down. each has their bad apples.
Old 02-20-10, 09:21 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by shyguy16
so infiniti has a QX dragging it down. each has their bad apples.
That is an assumption. Does someone have that same chart R1R posted for past years to make a solid conclusion? How about searching and posting some links to back things up?

Here I did it for you. Mind you I am in no way shape or form saying Infiniti is poor in quality, they make better than average quality cars and always have(we are all aware the MS built QX debuted as a horrid quality vehicle). They have never been #1 (Lexus was tops before/after QX) and if you see below Lexus has been top/near top in recent years while Infiniti is closer to AVERAGE outside of 2007 where it beat Lexus by a point.

So we can conclude pre QX/post QX with a vastly bigger lineup with vehicles more complex in many instances a Lexus is by far the more reliable vehicle in initial and long term quality.
We can also conclude that Infiniti has more issues than Lexus on average around at least 9 out of 10 times throughout the lineup. That means if we took out the two worst models from each brand, Lexus would still be far more reliable.

Again, this is no where saying Lexus is perfect and Infiniti is poor, quite the contrary. I recommend INfiniti as a reliable brand to people in the market and dealer service is usually pretty good.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ls-and-lx.html

2009 Nameplate IQS Ranking

Problems per 100 Vehicles

Lexus 84
Porsche 90
Cadillac 91
Hyundai 95
Honda 99
Mercedes-Benz 101
Toyota 101
Ford 102
Chevrolet 103
Suzuki 103
Infiniti 106
Mercury 106
Industry Average 108
Nissan 110
Acura 111

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...d-threads.html

Buick 122
Jaguar 122
Lexus 126
Toyota 129
Mercury 134
Infiniti 142
Acura 146
Lincoln 147
Cadillac 148
Honda 148
Porsche 150
Audi 159
Ford 159
Hyundai 161
Subaru 162
Chrysler 165
BMW 166
Industry Average 170

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...8-results.html

1. Porsche
2. Infiniti-98
3. Lexus-99
4. Mercedes
5. Toyota
6. Mercury
7. Honda

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ty-survey.html

Buick: 145
Lexus: 145
Cadillac: 162
Mercury: 168
Honda: 169
Toyota: 178
BMW: 182
Lincoln: 182
Subaru: 192
Oldsmobile: 196
Jaguar: 197
Acura: 207
Mercedes-Benz: 212
Infiniti: 215
Industry Average 216

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/JD...df/2006082.pdf

Porsche-91
Lexus-93

Infiniti-117
Average-124

2005 (Lexus #1 for 11th year in a row, no need to go back lol)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...a-row-1-a.html

Lexus 139
Porsche 149
Lincoln 151
Buick 163
Cadillac 175
Infiniti 178
Toyota 194
Mercury 195
Honda 201
Acura 203
BMW 225
Ford 231
Chevrolet 232
Chrysler 235
Industry Average 237
Saturn 240
Oldsmobile 242
GMC 245
Pontiac 245
Mazda 252
Hyundai 260
Subaru 260
Volvo 266
Jaguar 268
Dodge 273
Nissan 275
Mitsubishi 278
Mercedes-Benz 283
Saab 286
Jeep 289
Suzuki 292
Audi 312
Daewoo 318
Isuzu 331
Volkswagen 335
MINI 383
Land Rover 395
Kia 397

Old 02-20-10, 09:41 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

So we can conclude pre QX/post QX with a vastly bigger lineup with vehicles more complex in many instances a Lexus is by far the more reliable vehicle in initial and long term quality.[/B] We can also conclude that Infiniti has more issues than Lexus on average around at least 9 out of 10 times throughout the lineup. That means if we took out the two worst models from each brand, Lexus would still be far more reliable.
I have always maintained that Lexus and Infiniti are both equal in reliability with perhaps the edge going to Lexus but I am thinking more 90's reliability, as for the current models, Lexus has their GS AWD issues while Inifiniti has their QX issues.. As for JD Powers, I don't take their surveys as serious as I do CR. I have also always thought that Honda and Toyota are a tad more reliable long term that Lexus in that Lexus has many more complicated options that are not offered on the others.

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-20-10 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 10:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, now that is impressive. Wifey and I need to get a larger vehicle-perhaps next year. But..................the Patrol? I guess I'm the only one that finds it to be an odd name.

Quick Reply: MT First Drive: 2010 Nissan Patrol