Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Discussion and thoughts on Lexus IS220d and Lexus's with diesel options

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 02:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Discussion and thoughts on Lexus IS220d and Lexus's with diesel options

So I used search and couldn't find any discussions on the Lexus IS220d (diesel for the laymen, and Euro only ). I'd like to start a discussion on Lexus bringing a diesel IS to our shores, as well as diesel being an option on some Lexus models to compete with their German counterparts.

With that said, I know diesel hasn't really caught on in America, and that Toyota/Lexus is on the hybrid bandwagon, but I do think there is a segment niche for Lexus with diesels as well. Lexus's German counterparts are beginning to offer a diesel option on some of they're best sellers (A3, Q7, 3 Series, X5, ML, GL).

With these cars receiving diesel options, I think Lexus's very own IS, GX, and LX would be the perfect candidates. I pulled up the stats on the current IS220d in Europe, and although the 220d is no faster than a 250 (slower in fact), it dwarfs the 250s fuel economy (30/44 vs 21/29 respectively)

Lexus IS 220d
Engine type 2231cc, four cylinders
Power/Torque 175bhp @ 3600rpm / 295 lb ft @ 2000rpm
Transmission Six-speed manual
Performance 0-62mph: 8.9 sec / Top speed: 134mph

Suffice to say, performance is better left to the 350 and F, whereas a diesel and/or hybrid would obviously be geared towards luxury/fuel economy much like the HS. Not only would a diesel IS help out with CAFE standards, it's existence in the IS would give the lineup another fuel efficient "sporty" RWD car much like the GS450h. One could say a hybrid IS would do the same, but it sure wouldn't get the diesel's fuel economy.

Surely a diesel option would be low volume, but it does bring more attention to the public eye. The more diesel options we have, the more awareness there will be. At the very least, I think Lexus should try offering diesel's as another alternative to both conventional gas engines and hybrids.

Let's get a discussion going on this! Tell me your thoughts!! (And please be respectful of each others comments ok guys and gals )

http://www.lexus.eu/range/is/key-fea...el-engine.aspx

http://www.pressportal.com.au/news/2...009-01-20.html

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/01/will-lexus-brin/
Old 02-19-10, 03:47 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I pulled up the stats on the current IS220d in Europe, and although the 220d is no faster than a 250 (slower in fact), it dwarfs the 250s fuel economy
but it doesn't dwarf anything in sales numbers
Old 02-19-10, 04:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lex
but it doesn't dwarf anything in sales numbers
That and if you look at the forums and message boards of Lexus owners in the UK, lots of owners had problems with their IS220d (mostly plagued with the Poland-made engine as well as 5th injector problems).

Hence, many of them 'dumped' or traded their IS220ds and decided to get IS 250 SE-L automatic instead

Old 02-19-10, 04:49 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Poland-made engine
hahaha .
Old 02-19-10, 05:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like diesels a lot more than Hybrids.
I'd have some interest.
Old 02-19-10, 06:41 AM
TED_FR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forget it

If you read through the european Lexus Forums, you'll find out that the IS220d is a FAILURE in terms of reliability and fuel economy (not significantely better than IS250 auto)

This diesel model will be discontinued for the Gen3 IS due to be introduced early next year. It will be replaced by an hybrid version as Lexus had committed to.

Even though diesel engines are very popular over here, IS220d sales are very low, while BMW 320d, Audi A4 and Mercedes C sell like hot cakes.

French forum:
British Forum :
Old 02-19-10, 08:55 AM
LexFather

It had class leading torque but that's about it. Nice car but diesels will be dropped for hybrids only. So it might be the only diesel Lexus ever.

The next IS will offer a hybrid.

Old 02-19-10, 11:00 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TED_FR

If you read through the european Lexus Forums, you'll find out that the IS220d is a FAILURE in terms of reliability and fuel economy (not significantely better than IS250 auto)

This diesel model will be discontinued for the Gen3 IS due to be introduced early next year. It will be replaced by an hybrid version as Lexus had committed to.

Even though diesel engines are very popular over here, IS220d sales are very low, while BMW 320d, Audi A4 and Mercedes C sell like hot cakes.

French forum:
British Forum :
Agreed.

According to our friends in Europe, the IS220d is so unreliable.......that you'd be better off getting an IS250 automatic instead.

IMHO, they shouldn't have sourced the engine from Poland if it is not at par with quality and reliability of Japan-sourced engines.
Old 02-19-10, 11:14 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Agreed.

According to our friends in Europe, the IS220d is so unreliable.......that you'd be better off getting an IS250 automatic instead.

IMHO, they shouldn't have sourced the engine from Poland if it is not at par with quality and reliability of Japan-sourced engines.

The engine in the IS220d is not a Polish-designed engine, it's from the Toyota Avensis diesel. Engineered and designed in Japan as far as I know, but probably produced in Poland due to costs reason (such as Europe being the only market for an IS220d).
Old 02-19-10, 11:39 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
The engine in the IS220d is not a Polish-designed engine, it's from the Toyota Avensis diesel. Engineered and designed in Japan as far as I know, but probably produced in Poland due to costs reason (such as Europe being the only market for an IS220d).
2AD-FTV and 2AD-FHV

Either way, the problems are there and can't be ignored. Interestingly, there seems to be a problem with the transmission pairing as well. I mean, it seems that there aren't any problems with mating it with the IS250 engine (4GR-FSE).....but when paired with the 2AD, it seems that owners have been complaining of gearing problems. Yikes.

IS220d has indeed way too many reliability problems.....and even Lexus owners in Europe will agree that they won't feel any misery if the diesel model is axed due to the reliability problems it has.

It's better indeed if they replaced it with a hybrid engine (we might see a 4GR-FXE or something in the future)

Old 02-19-10, 11:44 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

2AD-FTV and 2AD-FHV

Either way, the problems are there and can't be ignored. Interestingly, there seems to be a problem with the transmission pairing as well. I mean, it seems that there aren't any problems with mating it with the IS250 engine (4GR-FSE).....but when paired with the 2AD, it seems that owners have been complaining of gearing problems. Yikes.

IS220d has indeed way too many reliability problems.....and even Lexus owners in Europe will agree that they won't feel any misery if the diesel model is axed due to the reliability problems it has.

It's better indeed if they replaced it with a hybrid engine (we might see a 4GR-FXE or something in the future)

When I first came to Europe there was a short time when I was interested in the IS220d, but I quickly struck it from list due to the lack of an automatic transmission option. I also didn't want an IS250 because my sister already drives one.

What exactly is "2AD-FTV and 2AD-FHV"?
Old 02-19-10, 12:36 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

think Lexus's very own IS, GX, and LX would be the perfect candidates.
Yeah Lexus needs a few diesels in North America. The GX and LX can support one and Toyota's 4runner and Land Cruiser could help share costs. The GX doesn't have enough power as it is. I will tell you that if Toyota offered a diesel Land Cruiser they would have one of the biggest hits Toyota has ever made. Same thing with the GX and 4runner.

But if Merc/Audi/BMW can offer one, why can't Lexus? They are supposed to be a tier 1 player...follow what they others are doing
Old 02-19-10, 12:40 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The GX doesn't have enough power as it is.
Old 02-19-10, 12:46 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
There are other V8 model body on frame SUV's that have more power. Take the KIA Boreggo for instance....If the GX was making 335hp it would be a different story, it is 2010 and 301hp is not enough IMO, especially for the price increase it got. Its not a bad, but there is no doubt it could have a little more.
Old 02-19-10, 01:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Yeah Lexus needs a few diesels in North America. The GX and LX can support one and Toyota's 4runner and Land Cruiser could help share costs. The GX doesn't have enough power as it is. I will tell you that if Toyota offered a diesel Land Cruiser they would have one of the biggest hits Toyota has ever made. Same thing with the GX and 4runner.

But if Merc/Audi/BMW can offer one, why can't Lexus? They are supposed to be a tier 1 player...follow what they others are doing
Thanks for the support haha. Exactly what I was thinking.

And regardless of the reliability of the diesel in Europe, I think if they were to bring one over here, it would be reworked or new to cater more towards North American needs.

I could see a turbo diesel like the one in the 3 Series finding it's way in the IS too keep power and more performance than a non turbo'ed. Just a thought

Quick Reply: Discussion and thoughts on Lexus IS220d and Lexus's with diesel options