Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California: Motorcycle awareness message on signs across the State

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Too many 40-somethings buy the H-D they always wanted but have no current motorcycle skills which is why you see them dog paddling away from stop signs or in low speed maneuvers.
I never have understood the obsession with Harleys that so many American bikers have, especially with the more hard-core ones and gang members. Compared to the better Japanese bikes, they can be unreliable and a PITA to own....though, to be honest, I don't have any hands-on experience myself. At one time (back when I was in high school in the 60's), to be a Harley rider (yes, I know it was a stereotype) was to be considered the Devil on wheels. The famous Harley 74 (1200 cc) was the classic bike for gangs....often with a "chopped" front fork/extension and high-rider handlebars. Back then, it was uncommon for the more tame bikers to be seen on big Harleys....smaller Honda and Suzuki bikes, known for their reliability (something that Harleys generally didn't have), were far more widespread among the more-tame biker crowd.

But it seems to be different today. Harleys have enormous popularity, not only with the traditional gangs/hard-core bikers, but with motorcycle cops, military veterans (as witnessed each Memorial day with Rolling Thunder)....even with professions like doctors, lawyers, and buyisnessmen. In short, that have become part of mainstream society, though most Harley owners still take off the muffers and run them with straight pipes, making enough noise, sometimes, to wake up the dead. One thig I do notice, however, though, admittedly, it may be another stereotype.....most Harley riders, even today, or at least a clear majority, are men, though often with females on the double-seat behind them.

Although Harleys suffered, for years, from quality issues, one of the best ads they ever came out with (though there may not have been much truth to it) showed a bunch of tough-looking, hard-core bikers with the headline..."Would You Sell an Unreliable Bike to THESE Guys?....WE Don't". Simple but effective. I did a search for an image to post it, but couldn't find one any longer....that ad was from about 20 years ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-10 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-20-10, 09:15 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

They should have that sign here in Illinois, telling motorcyclists to share the road. In Chicago bikers like to take up 4 lanes swerving back and forth and get angry when you get in-front of them
Old 02-20-10, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oleg400
They should have that sign here in Illinois, telling motorcyclists to share the road. In Chicago bikers like to take up 4 lanes swerving back and forth and get angry when you get in-front of them
Aren't the Outlaws, a notorious Midwestern biker gang, centered in or near Chicago?
Old 02-20-10, 10:32 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Aren't the Outlaws, a notorious Midwestern biker gang, centered in or near Chicago?
Oh Idk, I meant bikers as in the Crotch rocket bikers usually the young ones just trying to show off.
Old 02-20-10, 11:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that offtopic stereotypes of Harley riders as been thoroughly covered with enough trivia to choke the thread, lol. This could end up being closed like the "what gas do you use thread" because it was all covered before and "usually with 'opinions' that have little basis in reality".

The facts are California like most states has experienced a significant uptick in motorcycle deaths and injuries and is trying to increase awareness of motorcyles, realizing that so many of the motorcycle accidents are the fault of the car drivers.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-20-10 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-20-10, 11:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Awareness is always good but to bring down the uptick in motorcycle deaths we need better training for new motorcyclists and for those returning to the sport. Too many 40-somethings buy the H-D they always wanted but have no current motorcycle skills which is why you see them dog paddling away from stop signs or in low speed maneuvers. They can barely control their machines. Their roadcraft skills are lacking and that adds to their vulnerability. Throw in peer pressure from their buddies and things can spiral out of control quickly.
Yes, and that's why so many of the motorcycle deaths in recent years have been increasing numbers of older riders (40+).
Old 02-20-10, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV

The facts are California like most states has experienced a significant uptick in motorcycle deaths and injuries and is trying to increase awareness of motorcyles, realizing that so many of the motorcycle accidents are the fault of the car drivers.
Yes, and that's why so many of the motorcycle deaths in recent years have been increasing numbers of older riders (40+).
But that's not necessarily the fault of just car drivers. It is factual that, One, bikes, having only two wheels (sometimes three with a sidecar), are less-stable than cars and take more rider skill to see/avoid potholes and swerve around obstacles, and, Two, eyesight and reaction time generally diminishes with age.......especially after age 40 or so. So, in general, the older bikers canot be expected to ride with the same skills as the younger guys in their 20s and 30s. Of course, there are exceptions, but, usually, that's not the case.

Of course, car drivers can always be more careful, no matter what the age of the biker.....that's a given, but the fact is that most of the time, as a car driver, you don't know the biker's age or skill level.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I see that offtopic stereotypes of Harley riders as been thoroughly covered with enough trivia to choke the thread, lol. This could end up being closed like the "what gas do you use thread" because it was all covered before and "usually with 'opinions' that have little basis in reality".
Most (not all) of what was covered in that thread was fact. It was closed because there were other threads like it in the CAR CHAT archives. New posters sometimes bring up old topics.
Old 02-20-10, 11:03 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, i always get to one side and let them pass, often time they give me thumbup or peace sign, appreciation goes a long way
I fold in the mirrors on the AMG, had a bike snap a piece of plastic off of a car once. Busted the mirror and all, and of course he kept going and there was nothing I could do. Ever try to read one of those plates? If it saves even one life, then the campaign is worth it. I'm always reading about a rider killed somewhere on a So Cal freeway.
Old 02-20-10, 11:05 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would also add that many more are on bikes to save on gas. But I am sure all of us here know someone that has been killed or seriously injured on a bike.
Old 02-21-10, 08:03 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I see that offtopic stereotypes of Harley riders as been thoroughly covered with enough trivia to choke the thread, lol.
I first mentioned the Harley Davidson subject and it was not meant as a slam to H-D, but most older riders who return to the sport select a cruiser style bike for their mount. H-D leads the pack, but there are plenty of Honda's, V-Star's (Yamaha), Suzuki's, Victory's and Kawasaki's in the mix of the generic cruiser bike. Relatively few will jump on a sport bike when they return to the sport, this isn't inherently good or bad but can have an affect on the outcome. All bikes can be dangerous if the rider can't control them but cruisers often present some particular issues that can work against the rider; they aren't as maneuverable or nimble as a standard bike, are heavier and their braking systems often aren't up to the task. In other words it is often 'form over function' with a cruiser bike. This does factor into the crash rate to some degree.

I returned to the sport in my mid-40's but I ride sportier type bikes and I frankly can't see the attraction of low and slow motorcycles. But that is just me. I believe if more riders were on more 'standard' bikes with modern brakes and handling there would be fewer fatalities. Riding a big hulking machine may make you look cool, but doesn't do much for your safety. Many accidents happen when an oncoming driver turns left into the path of the bike and if the brakes aren't up to scratch bad accidents will happen. Being on a lighter bike with ABS brakes can mean the difference between life and death, imo.

Last edited by Evitzee; 02-21-10 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-21-10, 08:59 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

The in motorcycle forums, the general consensus is that in the past 5 years, there has been a increase in motorcycles deaths because of the booming economy. Homeowners saw great appreciation on their homes and many decided they wanted to fullfil a life long desire to buy a motorcycle.

They don't just go out and buy a smaller CC bike, they go out and buy the biggest most expensive bike because they can afford it. This sent Harley-Davidson stock soaring. They were the darling of Wall Street.

These inexperienced newbie bikers of course didn't have enough seat time, thus you have more accidents & deaths. Most experienced bikers can always spot those who have just picked up the sport.

Also, the amount of power of modern sportbikes is just insane now. A 600CC bike is probably putting out more power than 1000CC bikes 10 years ago. Money + Power + Inexperience = Accidents.
Old 02-21-10, 10:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

But that's not necessarily the fault of just car drivers. It is factual that, One, bikes, having only two wheels (sometimes three with a sidecar), are less-stable than cars and take more rider skill to see/avoid potholes and swerve around obstacles, and, Two, eyesight and reaction time generally diminishes with age.......especially after age 40 or so. So, in general, the older bikers canot be expected to ride with the same skills as the younger guys in their 20s and 30s. Of course, there are exceptions, but, usually, that's not the case.

Of course it's not necessarily the fault of the car driver, but again as the facts are stated in my previous post, many of the accidents are the fault of the car driver. In CA the signs are meant to address that statistical fact.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-21-10 at 10:40 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-21-10, 10:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Most (not all) of what was covered in that thread was fact. It was closed because there were other threads like it in the CAR CHAT archives. New posters sometimes bring up old topics.
Fact check below:

That's your take on facts/trivia, but here's why the gas thread was closed (per the mod).

"these subjects have been beaten to death over and over on clublexus and other forums, usually with 'opinions' that have little basis in reality."

btw, didn't you do most of the posting there, just kiddin....

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-21-10 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-21-10, 10:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I first mentioned the Harley Davidson subject and it was not meant as a slam to H-D, but most older riders who return to the sport select a cruiser style bike for their mount. H-D leads the pack, but there are plenty of Honda's, V-Star's (Yamaha), Suzuki's, Victory's and Kawasaki's in the mix of the generic cruiser bike. Relatively few will jump on a sport bike when they return to the sport, this isn't inherently good or bad but can have an affect on the outcome. All bikes can be dangerous if the rider can't control them but cruisers often present some particular issues that can work against the rider; they aren't as maneuverable or nimble as a standard bike, are heavier and their braking systems often aren't up to the task. In other words it is often 'form over function' with a cruiser bike. This does factor into the crash rate to some degree.

I returned to the sport in my mid-40's but I ride sportier type bikes and I frankly can't see the attraction of low and slow motorcycles. But that is just me. I believe if more riders were on more 'standard' bikes with modern brakes and handling there would be fewer fatalities. Riding a big hulking machine may make you look cool, but doesn't do much for your safety. Many accidents happen when an oncoming driver turns left into the path of the bike and if the brakes aren't up to scratch bad accidents will happen. Being on a lighter bike with ABS brakes can mean the difference between life and death, imo.
Good points, especially with the injury/death statistics showing an increasing number of older riders being involved, many of which ride Harleys and other cruisers.

Quick Reply: California: Motorcycle awareness message on signs across the State