Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California: Motorcycle awareness message on signs across the State

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 02:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, i always get to one side and let them pass, often time they give me thumbup or peace sign, appreciation goes a long way
Agreed, I do the same for safety and keeping my paint unblemished and shiny too.
Old 02-18-10, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
It's legal in California under certain circumstances.

Wasn't it illegal, at one time, for bikers to ride side-by side in the same traffic lane?...... (supposedly, they should ride behind the other), but that doesn't stop some of them....heck, even some motorcycle cops do it. I heard about a "law" like that once, but it may (?) have been just hearsay.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-18-10, 02:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Supposedly, it is illegal for bikers to ride side-by side in the same traffic lane (they're supposed to be one behind the other) , but that doesn't stop some of them....heck, even some motorcycle cops do that. I know that used to be the case, but I'm not sure if those laws are still in effect.
Not in CA.
Old 02-18-10, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not in CA.

Thanks. I was amending the question to indicate that what I heard might have been just that...hearsay. And that was a long time ago.
Old 02-18-10, 02:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

With motorcycle deaths (annually) on the rise significantly throughout the US, I understand the concern and need for improved awareness.
Old 02-18-10, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

With motorcycle deaths (annually) on the rise significantly throughout the US, I understand the concern and need for improved awareness.
I hope we don't see even more cycle deaths/injuries, especially with smaller, lower-powered scooters, as, in this bad economy, more people turn to them as lower-cost, higher-MPG alternatives to conventional cars, especially in areas where space is limited. Of course, many of them can only be ridden in relatively good weather.
Old 02-18-10, 02:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wasn't it illegal, at one time, for bikers to ride side-by side in the same traffic lane?...... (supposedly, they should ride behind the other), but that doesn't stop some of them....heck, even some motorcycle cops do it. I heard about a "law" like that once, but it may (?) have been just hearsay.
I think it's more of a general "common sense" issue. I don't think there is a law involved.

The only time I'm side-by-side with another rider is when we are at a stop. Otherwise, we're always riding staggered.
Old 02-18-10, 05:00 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think it's more of a general "common sense" issue. I don't think there is a law involved.

The only time I'm side-by-side with another rider is when we are at a stop. Otherwise, we're always riding staggered.
Right - if bikes can share a lane with cars, I don't see why it would be illegal for 2 bikes to share lanes.

However, I wouldn't do it because I really feel uncomfortable with it. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the ride having to worry about a friend next to me in the same lane.
Old 02-18-10, 05:39 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Hope this doesn't anger any bikers... but in my opinion, they should change the CA law to disallow motorcycles from sharing lanes with vehicles, and also disallow riding the lane lines. The reason being that cars are bigger than ever, especially with SUVs, so there is less lane to share. As such, it's increasingly difficult to keep track of motorcycles that may or may not be approaching your blind spot. I understand the convenience factor for motorcyclists, but it's just a very dangerous thing on the freeway when you have to mind someone who is literally inches from your car.

Bikes can already go on carpool lanes as well as maneuver around vehicles easily. Those factors should be sufficient in terms of benefits.
Old 02-18-10, 11:03 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
Hope this doesn't anger any bikers... but in my opinion, they should change the CA law to disallow motorcycles from sharing lanes with vehicles, and also disallow riding the lane lines. The reason being that cars are bigger than ever, especially with SUVs, so there is less lane to share. As such, it's increasingly difficult to keep track of motorcycles that may or may not be approaching your blind spot. I understand the convenience factor for motorcyclists, but it's just a very dangerous thing on the freeway when you have to mind someone who is literally inches from your car.

Bikes can already go on carpool lanes as well as maneuver around vehicles easily. Those factors should be sufficient in terms of benefits.
I do agree with you. When I split lanes I feel I'm putting my life in danger not knowing if the drive notice me before switching and cutting me off. I usually do it if traffic is at a stop or around 10mph.

I'm glad Cali has something like that. Unlike ny. It's a disgrace here. What really **** me off is the learner booklet which has one sentence regarding motocycle: "motocycles need special attention". WTH?!?!?!?
Old 02-18-10, 11:29 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

those signs are great.. motorists should be little more aware of their surroundings. i always do for motorcycles since i've had couple close calls myself when i used to ride.. we usually have signs like that only on 4th of july here.
Old 02-18-10, 11:45 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

As a former motorcyclist, I thank those who know to make some room so we can split lanes. It can be dangerous, but with some practice it makes sense to save time. Besides, the reason motorcycles are allowed to split lanes is some bikes are air cooled. If they sit in traffic, they'll overheat.

I believe you're allowed to split lanes when traffic is 35mph or under. I always made it a point to make sure I'm not going more than 5mph faster than the cars next to me. You really want drivers to be able to react to you coming up from behind. This mentality has kept me accident free for all those years of commuting.

There are idiots who ride motorcycles, just like there are idiots who drive cars. Don't let a few hooligans taint your image of what most motorcycles are all about: the Open Road. Let's share it!
Old 02-19-10, 10:47 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

PA was displaying similar signs a few months back in the Fall. It was during Nat. Motorcycle Awareness month (or something like that). Don't know if it did any good, but as a rider, I appreciated the states efforts.

Couple of questions answered:

Motorcycles riding side by side is illegal in most states (but not all - check your state laws). It is legal (and recommended) to ride in a staggered formation. It allows the group to stay pretty tight, while still providing some cushion to react if another bike has problems.

Lane splitting is only legal in CA. Technically, no other state allows it, though some riders themselves are not aware of it. In CA, it is supposed to help ease congestion, allowing more vehicles to filter through traffic. Helping keep air-cooled bikes from overheating is more of a happy bonus, than a thought out plan.

Additionally on lane splitting (not a CA resident, so I'm not 100% positive on this), a motorcycle can only split lanes in traffic under 25mph, and can not legally go more than 5mph faster than the rest of traffic.

Glad to see Cali has an awareness program going. With the price of gas continually going up, more and more people are riding motorcycles/scooters to save on their fuel bill. Lots of new riders are out there who have no clue what it takes to deal with traffic on two wheels (an all together separate problem), and lots of us veterans get frustrated with cagers constantly doing stupid things to endanger our safety. Simply because most drivers are just oblivious to anything beyond their windshield.
Old 02-19-10, 08:19 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaseman

Additionally on lane splitting (not a CA resident, so I'm not 100% positive on this), a motorcycle can only split lanes in traffic under 25mph, and can not legally go more than 5mph faster than the rest of traffic.

When was the last time i saw any motorcyclist follow that 25mph rule? Anything under 45mph is fair game for them, and they are certainly NOT only going 5 mph more...

darwin's principles apply i think.
Old 02-20-10, 08:07 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Awareness is always good but to bring down the uptick in motorcycle deaths we need better training for new motorcyclists and for those returning to the sport. Too many 40-somethings buy the H-D they always wanted but have no current motorcycle skills which is why you see them dog paddling away from stop signs or in low speed maneuvers. They can barely control their machines. Their roadcraft skills are lacking and that adds to their vulnerability. Throw in peer pressure from their buddies and things can spiral out of control quickly.

Quick Reply: California: Motorcycle awareness message on signs across the State