Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Ford Focus Badged as Mercury Tracer Due in 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 07:57 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info
i had the understanding before that Mercury was a slight notch above Ford's offerings but with Ford getting back to building quality cars to compete with the japanese, what kind of positioning and product offering can Mercury actually fit into?

the differentiating room between Ford and Lincoln is already shrinking and upkeeping another brand image and marketing is not easy nowadays in this media heavy consumer world

even 10 years ago, it was hard to spot the value differences between a Mercury and Ford (i would even as to say for the past 20 years, Mercury is not a worth contender to the other big 2)

of course the motive of starting Mercury is understandable but the follow-up is quite weak in my opinions

please correct me if im wrong
Old 02-15-10, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Ford of Europe should rebadge their vehicles as U.S. Mercurys. Simple as that.
Pretty Clever actually. Good thought.

Old 02-15-10, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Pretty Clever actually. Good thought.
What about the notoriously bad experience of having Ford of Europe do the U.S.-market Merkur line in the 1980's? Why do you think it would work now at Mercury?....though, granted, we aren't talking the old Merkur products any more. Most Mercury customers, though, especially the more traditional ones, are not looking for smaller, Ford-of-Europe designs, but bigger, heavier cars like the Sable and Grand Marquis (both of which are now virtually gone). Even so, I do agree, though, that the return of the Tracer is a good move (despite its established image as a seller of larger cars, Mercury also needed an entry-level car, Ford of Europe-based or not)

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-10 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 08:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Mercury Tracer? Again?

The cycle with redundant overlapping models are happening again.
Old 02-15-10, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Mercury Tracer? Again?

The cycle with redundant overlapping models are happening again.

............as with the Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX570? In many ways, they are almost identical.

We also saw that with the Toyota Altezza and 1Gen Lexus IS, though not in the American market.

Though I could be wrong on this (and, of course, time will tell), I don't think the Tracer will take sales away from the Focus (or the upcoming Fiesta). In general, Ford and Mercury showrooms have different shoppers in them, and different potential buyers....Mercury buyers, in general, are a little more conservative.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 09:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Ford has been making some good decisions lately, and then they go and do something like this !

Horrible decision, rebadging the Ford Focus as Mercury, and using the Tracer name again?

Just because fuel efficiency has become more important, doesn't mean an upmarket brand should be getting a rebadged compact .
Old 02-15-10, 10:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I am all for Mercury getting a fresh car, but to call it "TRACER?" I mean that has to be one of the dumbest names to call a car! What is it suppose to promote, a kid drawing on tracing paper? That's the first thing that pops into my head when I hear that name. It does nothing to make the car sound interesting, edgy, sporty, sexy, or ANYTHING! Please Ford, at least call it something else instead of this lame, beaten to the ground, retired for a reason name.
Old 02-16-10, 01:42 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
............as with the Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX570? In many ways, they are almost identical.

We also saw that with the Toyota Altezza and 1Gen Lexus IS, though not in the American market.

Though I could be wrong on this (and, of course, time will tell), I don't think the Tracer will take sales away from the Focus (or the upcoming Fiesta). In general, Ford and Mercury showrooms have different shoppers in them, and different potential buyers....Mercury buyers, in general, are a little more conservative.
I think if Ford was smart, they should axe Mercury and just keep it Lincoln and Ford.
Old 02-16-10, 08:41 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only that, Faymester, but, in the late 40s and early 50s, Mercurys, particularly the customized/chopped-roof model with the peek-a-boo windows, were considered the "Cool" or "In" cars with the high-school/young-adult crowd, although Oldsmobiles, with their "Rocket" V8 engines, were also popular. A couple of years later, in 1955, Chevy then took over with its advanced new V8, and the mid-late-50's Chevys went on to become classics.

In fact, it was Mercury and Hudson, probably more than any other nameplates, that helped pioneer stock-car racing and NASCAR in the late 40s. Mercs were ever-popular with the whiskey-runners/moonshiners, who ran illegal alcohol in them, and Hudsons were noted for relatively good handling and flat cornering (something rare in the 1950's with American-made cars). The first stock-car "races" were actually whiskey-runners who got together on weekends with their cars and had local contests.
You know so much mmarshall I always like your posts on car history.

Is this a Hudson? I did a Google search but it seems like there aren't that many stock ones being photographed and posted online.

IMO, how cool would that be if the Amarican car companies each revived their best selling classic car. I think that would be pretty cool; there could be Cadillacs with the rocketship tails running around, and nifty looking gangster-styled cars like these.
Old 02-16-10, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
You know so much mmarshall I always like your posts on car history.
Thanks. The way I look at it, there's a lot I know and a lot I don't know.

Is this a Hudson? I did a Google search but it seems like there aren't that many stock ones being photographed and posted online.
No.. Thats one of the so-called "Cool" Mercurys of the time period we were discussing. This one seems to have a slight "chop" to the roof/windows.....not a major one.

Here's an early-50s Hudson Hornet. They, along with Mercurys, were very popular on NASCAR tracks of that era.

And here's a stock one:

IMO, how cool would that be if the Amarican car companies each revived their best selling classic car. I think that would be pretty cool; there could be Cadillacs with the rocketship tails running around, and nifty looking gangster-styled cars like these.
The Chrysler PT Cruiser has about as close to 1930's "Gangster" styling as any modern car I can think of.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-10 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-16-10, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Ford has been making some good decisions lately, and then they go and do something like this !

Horrible decision, rebadging the Ford Focus as Mercury, and using the Tracer name again?

Just because fuel efficiency has become more important, doesn't mean an upmarket brand should be getting a rebadged compact .
Why do you say that? Earlier Tracers were generally a success on the marketplace (though not a huge one), yet Mercury pulled them in spite of that success. And, as you note, a relatively high-MPG Tracer will undoubtedly help Mercury in the new CAFE ratings.
Old 02-16-10, 09:09 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do people in California still buy Mercury? I can't even think of what they have off the top of my head. Mullaly probably forgot they existed when he was selling everything. Better go back and do the second round of cleaning house, Alan.
Old 02-16-10, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
Do people in California still buy Mercury? I can't even think of what they have off the top of my head. Mullaly probably forgot they existed when he was selling everything. Better go back and do the second round of cleaning house, Alan.
Mercury does sell in CA, and on the East Coast, but, in general, is not that popular on the two coasts. It tends to do much better in the Midwest, where much of the car-buying public is older, more conservative, and more inclined to American nameplates. On the East Coast, Florida is (probably) where it is most popular.
Old 02-16-10, 09:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note: Mercury does not sell well in CA, many (if not most) of the dealers have closed as a result.

Despite the history, Mercury is in trouble today, so this is positive news.
Old 02-16-10, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Note: Mercury does not sell well in CA, many (if not most) of the dealers have closed as a result.
I'm not sure if the closings are just due to Mercury, or because of Lincoln as well, since both are usually sold out of the same dealerships. Though the Navigator is popular (mostly by image/stereotype) with entertainers, professional athletes, and musicians, Lincoln, in general, has lost a number of customers lately....and the dropping of the popular Town Car just made it worse. Mercury also compunded the problem by dropping (or greatly restricting) the Sable, Grand Marquis, and, yes.........the earler Tracer.

While it is true that a car that IS produced may or may not sell, it is definitely true that a car that is NOT produced won't sell, period.

Despite the history, Mercury is in trouble today, so this is positive news.
True, but Mercury didn't have to get that way...it was allowed to do so. The Tracer, hopefully, is the first step back forward again, but, IMO, some more larger vehicles are going to also have to follow...though, without hybrids and diesels, that may conflict with the new CAFE standards.

Quick Reply: New Ford Focus Badged as Mercury Tracer Due in 2011