Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Volkswagen New Beetle (updated starts at 19k)

Old 02-16-10, 12:18 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesnt really look like a beetle anymore...
Old 02-16-10, 04:16 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks interesting... Having had first hand experience working on the New Beetle's, I know how bad they need an update... the only problem is, it's hard to update a car that's KNOWN for it's unique and distinctive shape.
Old 02-16-10, 04:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never cared for the current "new Beetle", never really saw it as a desirable replacement for the original Bug, but that's just my opinion. I'm hoping the next new Beetle does better.
Old 02-18-10, 09:52 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I rented the current one once, but returned it back to the agency when I noticed myself looking at guys' crotches while I was driving it.

Old 02-19-10, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I never cared for the current "new Beetle", never really saw it as a desirable replacement for the original Bug, but that's just my opinion. I'm hoping the next new Beetle does better.
One of the few complaints with the New Beetle, when it was introduced in 1998 was that it was not ENOUGH of a true retro design. The body styling vaguely resembled the old one, but the new one lacked the simple, air-cooled rear engine, real metal trim/hardware, and the almost non-existant dash of the old one. The new one was essentially a Golf with a different body/interior, had liquid-cooling and FWD, a dash large enough to be an aircraft carrier, and tunnel-vision out between the A-pillars.

However, there were also good things about the new design as well...things that, obviously, will be carried over into the new update. New Beetles have enough power to get out of their own way, don't have the constant loud noise/clatter of the old air-cooled engines, don't get blown all over the road in the slightest crosswind, are far more survivable in an accident, and, of course, have a heater/defrosting system that actually WORKS.
Old 02-19-10, 09:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
However, there were also good things about the new design as well...things that, obviously, will be carried over into the new update. New Beetles have enough power to get out of their own way, don't have the constant loud noise/clatter of the old air-cooled engines, don't get blown all over the road in the slightest crosswind, are far more survivable in an accident, and, of course, have a heater/defrosting system that actually WORKS.
Yes, for sure the air-cooled engines of yesterday would not meet the emissions and noise regulations (specifically the noise regs of Europe) in effect today.

IMO new Beetles hardly look like a Beetle and since they are Golf-derived, the Golf ends up being the better-looking and more functional body style. Of course styling is purely subjective and I understand that many like new Beetle styling too.

Rear-engined cars can be safe and are safe today with proper modern construction/designs and stability control systems.
Old 02-19-10, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, for sure the air-cooled engines of yesterday would not meet the emissions and noise regulations (specifically the noise regs of Europe) in effect today.
That's because, with air-cooled engines, it is difficult to get consistant/equal combustion temperatures in each cylinder, which is crucial to low emissions. Liquid cooling and cylinder-jackets, in general, spread out the engine heat much more evenly.

Liquid-cooled engines also are less-susceptible to the effects of shock-cooling when, for example, you let up on the throttle after a hard run or when going down a long hill.
Old 02-19-10, 12:09 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I had a New Beetle Turbo, and that car was a blast. Believe it or not, at the time it was one of the best performance bang for the buck (Besides the SRT-4). While it is a re-shelled Golf, the design allowed for a really cool cabin and driving experience. The front passenger space was awesome. The turbo also allowed for tuning potential, as simple ECU chip can yield up to 225hp (150hp base). Back then, VW used the same turbo across several models.

I think they need to make it look less bloated and bubbly. The chop top look is a good start, but they really need to start over rather than trying to evolve the current design. I also don't understand why they would make it bigger than it is now? The Mini does fine and it's tiny. If anything, they need to make the re-design more compact and true to the original.
Old 02-19-10, 12:25 PM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why. But I'm digging it. I like how it looks wider in the rear
Old 04-18-11, 08:25 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Default 2012 Volkswagen Beetle

NEW GENERATION BEETLE REVEALED AT SHANGHAI SHOW
New generation of Volkswagen Beetle unveiled in Shanghai, New York and Berlin

All-new vehicle draws design cues from original Beetle launched 73 years ago

Efficient engines and innovative features combine with heritage to make a 'modern classic'

On sale in North America in autumn 2011, then mainland Europe; UK early in 2012

Volkswagen has unveiled the latest generation Beetle in Shanghai on the eve of the city's motor show, marking a new era in this iconic car's history. The latest generation moves away from design of the New Beetle of 1998 and instead draws on cues from the original and Beetle Ragster concept shown in Detroit in 2005. As such it's longer, wider and lower, giving a more masculine and dynamic appearance.

The Beetle now measures 4,278 mm in length (+152 mm), 1,808 mm in width (+84 mm) and 1,486 in height (-12 mm). The track width front and rear, as well as the wheelbase at 2,537 mm, are also increased. Overseen by Walter de Silva (Volkswagen Group) and Klaus Bischoff (Volkswagen Brand), with Marc Lichte the team leader for exterior design, the car's new proportions mean the roof extends back further, the windscreen is shifted back and the rear section is now more akin to that of the original Beetle. The boot capacity is a practical 310 litres, up from 209 litres in the 1998 model. The Beetle has four seats, with a split-fold rear seat for added versatility.

Inside the cabin, the Beetle's designers created a modern, practical and distinctive appearance with easy to identify and ergonomic controls. Certain features, such as the glovebox and colour accent panels hark back to the original.
Three trim levels will be available – Beetle, Design and Sport – and each will be endowed with its own individual character and features. A wide range of innovative optional equipment will also be available, ranging from Keyless Access through satellite navigation systems and a panoramic sunroof to bi-xenon headlights and LED daytime running lights – all of which are available for the first time on a Beetle.

In the UK, a choice of four engines will be offered: three petrol – a 1.2-litre TSI 105 PS, a 1.4-litre TSI 160 PS and a 2.0-litre TSI 200 PS; and one diesel – a 1.6-litre 105 PS with BlueMotion Technology. Thanks to the addition of Stop/Start and battery regeneration systems the Beetle 1.6-litre 105 PS is estimated to have a combined fuel consumption of 65.7 mpg and carbon dioxide emissions of 112 g/km.

As well as being economical and environmentally sound, the Beetle is also built to be one of the safest cars on the road thanks not only to features such as standard ESP and six airbags but also a laser-welded and galvanised body structure which has one of the highest torsional rigidity values in the segment at 26,000 Nm/?. In addition the range-topping engine, the 2.0-litre 200 PS, will feature standard XDS electronic differential lock as fitted to the Golf GTI.
The new car will be available to order in the UK in the summer, with first cars arriving in showrooms early in 2012. More details will be available closer to launch.

When the original was launched in 1938, it was known simply as 'the Volkswagen', quickly acquiring a raft of nicknames from across the world. Whatever the name, its popularity is not in question, with 21.5 million sold in the past 73 years.

Nope, doesn't do a damn thing for me.
Old 04-18-11, 08:33 AM
LexFather

Why they continue to move the "peoples car" upmarket is beyond me. This thing should be a stripped out $10,000-$15,000 car. Instead its like a cross between the original 911 and Jetta coupe.

Seems well done but I wouldn't be caught dead in it. My mother though, she loves the current Beetle

Old 04-18-11, 08:58 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

This is gonna go Audi TT hunting... I like it better than the current Beetle... just got off the phone with my buddy who got an 09 for his wife....he's upgrading as soon as this comes out in Sept, he loves it!!
Old 04-18-11, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why they continue to move the "peoples car" upmarket is beyond me. This thing should be a stripped out $10,000-$15,000 car.
Probably because VW already has smaller, less-expensive cars in other, non-U.S.-markets like the Polo, Fox, and now-discontinued Lupo. These models, in non-U.S.-markets, now take the place of where the old Beetle was in the VW family.

Seems well done but I wouldn't be caught dead in it. My mother though, she loves the current Beetle
Is it that you really don't care for it, or just buying into that old stereotype about the Beetle being a Chick-Car and off-limits for males? I agree that it wouldn't be on my Most-Considered List either (the body-style is not versatile enough, and reliability is questionable), but, if I liked it, I see no reason why I couldn't drive one.
Old 04-18-11, 09:25 AM
LexFather

Mike people crap all over Lexus for being old peoples cars. The Beetle to me is a car who's stereotype I won't repeat (we all know them) and it has limited to no appeal to me.

Fun Mike fact: Had a cute friend who had a baby blue VW Beetle convertible. Well some friends an I hangout out one night and she doesn't want to drive on this beautiful summer night so I end up being the designated driver. We go to I think 3 different places between midtown and Buckhead.

This mean my 6"5, 240lbs butt was driving a manual baby blue Beetle convertible (the top was dropped) with a flower in the vase.

SMH

SMH

SMH

I took one for the team that night.

Old 04-18-11, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike people crap all over Lexus for being old peoples cars.
I sure don't. I owned one myself, and you still do.

The Beetle to me is a car who's stereotype I won't repeat (we all know them) and it has limited to no appeal to me.
Oh, I agree there is a Beetle stereotype (big-time), but, as I see it, there's no reason for that stereotype. I'm a firm believer that people should buy and drive what they want. I myself, even as a teen-ager, ignored the prevailing stereotypes of the period and bought and drove what I wanted (or could afford).

Fun Mike fact: Had a cute friend who had a baby blue VW Beetle convertible. Well some friends an I hangout out one night and she doesn't want to drive on this beautiful summer night so I end up being the designated driver. We go to I think 3 different places between midtown and Buckhead.

This mean my 6"5, 240lbs butt was driving a manual baby blue Beetle convertible (the top was dropped) with a flower in the vase.
Well, I'm with you on one thing.....I would have taken that artificial flower out of the tube and stuck it in the trunk or glove compartment.

BTW, I think they did a slightly better job on the retro-styling on this version than they did on the last one in 1998. Though there is not a huge difference, the exterior bodywork on this one looks a little more like the original air-cooled Beetles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-18-11 at 09:38 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Volkswagen New Beetle (updated starts at 19k)