Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding Ticket Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 12:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Speeding Ticket Advice

I need help on what i should do with a speeding ticket. I was driving on the 219 in New York doing 87 in a 65. I received a speed in zone violation and know that i may get anywhere from 6-8 points on my license. This is my first offense, but i got my license in August. It was also a state trooper. Does anyone here have advice other than (Don't speed) Can i get this to a parking ticket? should i do courses? should i hire a lawyer, i am about 17 so i am sure they will be strict, but hopefully some how i will get out with a lesser charge. Also before this is assumed, i am not a reckless driver, there was a car going even with me if not faster at the time. Thanks. Again this was in New york, and by a state trooper
Old 02-14-10, 12:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Call a lawyer. If you're in NYC, I recommend Jeffrey Ziff.
Old 02-14-10, 01:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm from Buffalo, problem is i was pulled over in some small town, i was going to a friends house over night to go skiing. Thing is we know lots of people like troopers and such, even the county executive, but i guess since i was pulled over in the middle of no where those connections don't really help. I am also paying for everything myself, no help from mom and dad. Figured its my fault so ill pay for everything
Old 02-14-10, 01:33 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
I need help on what i should do with a speeding ticket.
Ask for the mercy of the court, and explain that you were not trying to be a reckless driver. If you were wearing your seat belt and everything else was straight (insurance, no drinking, etc.), the judge may very well say that he'll hold penalties if you're good for a period of time.

Can i get this to a parking ticket?
You're joking, right? 22 over and you think you'll get it down a parking ticket??

Also before this is assumed, i am not a reckless driver, there was a car going even with me if not faster at the time. Thanks. Again this was in New york, and by a state trooper
In all fairness, yes, you were being careless. You're young, but that doesn't excuse it, and it's not an assumption. You said you were doing 87 in a 65, that is criminal speeding. You're lucky the trooper didn't decide to take you to jail and have your parents come and bail you out - that was his prerogative at the time, FYI.

I'm from Buffalo, problem is i was pulled over in some small town, i was going to a friends house over night to go skiing.
Tell the judge you were excited about seeing your friend, but don't bring up that another car was speeding with you. You weren't targeted, and that will sound like you're claiming you were.

Thing is we know lots of people like troopers and such, even the county executive, but i guess since i was pulled over in the middle of no where those connections don't really help.
Knowing people helps when you've been wrongly accused, or if it's something light. This is criminal speeding, and it's already in the system. It would be different if it was someone from where you were from and your friend could ask for a break, but if you were call a county executive, you may very well end up in deeper water than you're in.

I am also paying for everything myself, no help from mom and dad. Figured its my fault so ill pay for everything
That's a good start, and also something to tell the judge. Own it, and he may well be impressed that you're a stand up guy.

Oh, and slow down. Easiest way to avoid getting pulled over.

Big Mack
Old 02-14-10, 01:48 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Ask for the mercy of the court, and explain that you were not trying to be a reckless driver. If you were wearing your seat belt and everything else was straight (insurance, no drinking, etc.), the judge may very well say that he'll hold penalties if you're good for a period of time.

You're joking, right? 22 over and you think you'll get it down a parking ticket??

In all fairness, yes, you were being careless. You're young, but that doesn't excuse it, and it's not an assumption. You said you were doing 87 in a 65, that is criminal speeding. You're lucky the trooper didn't decide to take you to jail and have your parents come and bail you out - that was his prerogative at the time, FYI.

Tell the judge you were excited about seeing your friend, but don't bring up that another car was speeding with you. You weren't targeted, and that will sound like you're claiming you were.

Knowing people helps when you've been wrongly accused, or if it's something light. This is criminal speeding, and it's already in the system. It would be different if it was someone from where you were from and your friend could ask for a break, but if you were call a county executive, you may very well end up in deeper water than you're in.

That's a good start, and also something to tell the judge. Own it, and he may well be impressed that you're a stand up guy.

Oh, and slow down. Easiest way to avoid getting pulled over.

Big Mack
Thanks for your advice, and when i say parking ticket, i mean numerous parking tickets. Istopped by the state troopers station today to talk with one and he said i could possibly get it to be like 3 parking tickets or something that prevent points from getting onto my license. I have a friend that did 87 in a 55, and he got it turned into a parking ticket. I may end up just hiring a lawyer. Do judge's take into account if you are a student? grades ? ect. Someone also told me to mention that a majority of my driving is bringing my brother and sister to and from school and extracurricular activities? any idea to if this would help? And yes, i feel that if i pay for it myself, it won't be something my parents can hold against me....as much
Old 02-14-10, 03:32 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

American speeding tickets sound so complicated.
Old 02-14-10, 03:35 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

They do, and they suck, and while there are lots of loopholes, they are a pain in the *** to find
Old 02-14-10, 04:17 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd research what NY's rules are for adult v. minor infractions. In Michigan, at age 17, that ticket may pull your license for a number of months.
Old 02-14-10, 04:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I just talked to a state trooper literally 5 minutes ago. He said best case scenario, you go to driving school and have 2 points on your license...best (unrealistic) case scenario i go to drivers school and have no points put on my license and get it down to something where insurance isn't involved. Worse case scenario the man shows no mercy i get 6 points, license taken away, and driving school
Old 02-14-10, 05:25 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

my g/f (18) just paid her ticket for 62 in a 45 and just did her traffic school. They said no points or anything when she went to the courthouse..she was a day late so now her licence is getting suspended until they can reverse it lol

GL man
Old 02-14-10, 05:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Appreciate the support, I know what i did was stupid. If only the town prosecutor knew more about the person they were persecuting, anyone else feel that way? I know im not other people, i just feel that those other people who do things that are a lot worse should be punished, not me but whatever, lessoned learned, expensive lesson at that
Old 02-14-10, 05:45 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell the prosecutor that you'll pay the fine if they deduct the points to 0.. always works for me
Old 02-14-10, 10:20 PM
duncan73
Driver

Default Speeeeeeding

The last person to get legal advice from is a cop! Your biggest problem will be getting dumped by your insurance carrier into the Assigned Risk pool and the associated concurrent costs.
Get an attorney who specializes in traffic cases. Sometimes the court clerks where your case is going to be heard will steer you in the right direction. Also, the local Bar Association may be helpful as well. Good luck!
Old 02-14-10, 10:28 PM
IceSC
Rookie

Dunno if NY has trial by declaration like in California...you can "beat" the ticket if the cop doesn't write back. I won one like that. Got all the ticket money back in a refund, no points.
Old 02-14-10, 10:36 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if this is your first offense, you'll be alright, if the judge is cool. I don't mean you wont get nothing, but not as bad as you might think.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Advice