Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Turns Down Award for Prius in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 11:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Toyota Turns Down Award for Prius in Japan

Insideline

TOKYO — Toyota has turned down an award from the Japanese government for the 2010 Prius. Citing this week's antilock brake system recall on the Prius, the automaker said it would not be appropriate to receive the kudos, a grand prize for energy efficiency and ecological quality that is given annually by Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

Toyota spokesman Paul Nolasco, quoted by the Associated Press today, said the company "declined to accept the award, because we thought it is not appropriate." Toyota reportedly told the government on Monday it would decline. The company has known since January that the Prius had been named to the honor, and the award ceremony was to take place on Wednesday.

The award was part of Japan's Month of Energy Conservation. The Prius was one of three products to be offered the distinction this year; the others were a Mitsubishi Electric air-conditioner and a Fuji Xerox copier.

Meanwhile, U.S. syndicated TV program Motor Week said Thursday that it is giving its Best of the Year award to the 2010 Toyota Prius and also naming it Best Eco-Friendly vehicle of the year. Executive Producer John Davis said, "If you can only buy one car for your family, the 2010 Prius is the one." No word on whether Toyota will accept or decline these new honors, which the automaker announced on its media Web site.

Toyota announced a recall on Monday that includes some 133,000 2010 Prius vehicles, to fix a software glitch in the antilock brake system on the hybrid. The other vehicle involved in the recall is the mechanically similar 2010 Lexus HS 250h, of which 14,500 are being recalled.

Inside Line says: Becoming modesty in the gesture, even though it doesn't do anything to reassure Toyota customers. — Laura Sky Brown, Correspondent

Old 02-11-10, 11:56 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they should have accepted it. because it's not like they are going to get a lot of awards anymore..
Old 02-12-10, 12:49 AM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say kudos to Toyota. They are modest and humble enough to admit their product wasn't up to the standard, of both the award and their own standards.

And I disagree that it doesn't reassure Toyota customers. This shows that Toyota is dedicated to the quality and reliability they have always been known for, and that they are attempting to improve that in the future.
Old 02-12-10, 11:14 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

I like the gesture. How often does anyone ever refuse an award? This seems like a great PR move for Toyota, at least on the surface.
Old 02-12-10, 11:19 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisyano
I like the gesture. How often does anyone ever refuse an award? This seems like a great PR move for Toyota, at least on the surface.
Cause they truly believed they did not deserve it. I wish I could say the same about Obama and his Nobel Peace Prize....
Old 02-12-10, 11:22 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by f=ma
Cause they truly believed they did not deserve it. I wish I could say the same about Obama and his Nobel Peace Prize....
That's exactly my point. It's refreshing to say the least. The Obama example is perfect for what I was getting at.
Old 02-12-10, 12:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats kind of lame. They need all of the accolades they can get right now. I would have taken it
Old 02-12-10, 03:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Focus on implementing the fixes, accept it next time. Fine with me.