Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport

I hope this is not a repost (and there is, no doubt, some talk on it in the LS forum), but I was thumbing through this month's R&T paper copy (I get their subscription) and came upon this headline. The full article is NOT available in the paper copy...it is only on-line. I thought I'd share it with you guys in the CAR CHAT forum.

I personally feel that the LS460 is (arguably) the world's best overall luxury car, and that it should not be attemted to be made into a BMW (in fact, I was even opposed to the use of 45-series tires on the current model, and prefered the ride of the LS430). But, I will go beyond my own thinking and attempt to look at it from the point of view of those who like the 460's tomb-quietness/refinent but who want something a little sharper in the corners. This, folks, might be just the car for you.

Also, my own opinion probably doesn't matter very much on the 460 because, despite my extremely high opinion of it (I consider it one of the world's 10 best cars, despite its electronic complexity and the stiffer tires on the curent-gen model), I probably won't be spending the kind of money to buy or lease one.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/im...s-ls-460-sport

Few would deny the Lexus LS 460 is a very nice luxury sedan. But just the same, very few would classify it in the same league as the sports-sedan-stalwart BMW 750i. Well, that’s about to change with the new 2010 Lexus LS 460 Sport, which offers handling and braking that are far improved over the Lexus LS “Grandpa machine” you may be accustomed with.

The $6185 Sport Package is available on rear-drive LS 460s only. It consists of a stiffer air suspension system (a softer air suspension system is optional on the regular LS), plus a few choice pieces from the hot IS F: 14.8-in. Brembo front brakes and the AA80E 8-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission. As with the IS F, the gearbox delivers thrilling throttle blip downshifts, although different electronics help the LS shift more smoothly than the IS F (the LS Sport Package paddles are also slightly smaller).

The Sport Package can be distinguished by its lower front air dam, side skirts, a dark grille and 19-in. forged-alloy wheels. The interior features black leather seating with tan accents, dark brown ash burl wood trim and a unique-to-the-Sport Package heated leather steering wheel, while the front seats have improved lateral support.

Seemingly small changes add up to big differences out on the road—especially if that road is curvy. Setting the suspension to Sport (the stiffest of its three modes) does away with the squish associated with the regular LS. It takes a firm set entering turns, with minimal body roll and negligible understeer, the 245/45R-19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx summer tires offering plenty of grip. The Brembo brakes bring a high level of confidence, allowing you to brake later entering turns, while the 380-bhp 4.6-liter V-8 makes exiting turns fun, with easily controlled power-on oversteer available—who knew the LS chassis was so competent?

Okay, it’s true the steering could be a bit more taut (it’s calibrated identically with the regular LS) and the sport seats still need more lateral support, but overall the LS Sport Package is refreshingly (and surprisingly) competent. The Lexus LS 460 Sport Package adds an extra $6185 to the LS 460’s $64,680 base price.
Old 02-11-10, 06:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for sharing this, and chalk it up to another positive review for the LS 460 Sport. So far, it's been a fairly uniform warm reception from the reviewers for this model...which to them will finally be an LS 460 that enthusiasts can fully appreciate. I agree that overall this is a niche model compared to the regular softer-riding LS, but even the original LS 400 was marked as "the definitive high performance luxury car" and at the time was regarded as better handling than some rival models, faster, higher top speed, etc.
Old 02-11-10, 06:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They should make active suspension standard, and bump displacement to 5.0 and get more low end torque. That would make the LS perfect.
Old 02-11-10, 06:58 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very few would classify it in the same league as the sports-sedan-stalwart BMW 750i
I tend to agree with this, the 460 is not in the same league as the BMW750 but this sport models inches it closer.

I really like the new grille and rear lights. The interior colour of the wood is impressive. The size of the brakes are massive and the ride is firmer.

I do like the LS460 sport.
Old 02-11-10, 07:03 PM
LexFather

Pagemaster you are again, spinning words. They are saying the Lexus sport is not in the same league as the 750 sport, which is a fair assessment.

They are not saying the LS is not in the same leauge as the 7 series.

This forum has read enough of how you feel about the LS and how it isn't in that class and doesn't stack up which is completely contrary to popular and expert belief not to mention our tremendous LS forum with hundreds/thousands of OWNERS.

This thread will not be inundated with more of the same. You do not have to tell us on a Lexus forum over and over you think the LS isn't that good.

Old 02-11-10, 08:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

has IS-F brakes and transmission, pretty sweet
Old 02-11-10, 08:35 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's cool that they introduced it, but I like how the regular LS looks much
better inside and outside. The rims are kind of interesting for OEM,
but you can do much better aftermarket...
Old 02-12-10, 04:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The LS460 should just stay the way it is.The car is a slow selling boulevard cruiser.The Sport package option doesn't fit the car's bland styling at all,IMO.
I don't think there will be much interest in a Sport option on a car that's mostly purchased by people 62 and over..

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-12-10 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 05:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The LS460 should just stay the way it is.The car is a slow selling boulevard cruiser.The Sport package option doesn't fit the car's bland styling at all,IMO.
I don't think there will be much interest in a Sport option on a car that's mostly purchased by people 62 and over..
A fair observation. I doubt it will sell very well. At least it won't cost Toyota/Lexus much to put it out.
Old 02-12-10, 05:22 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

, I'm 62, I would purchase the 460 for it's quiet ride and overall refinement, not it's BWM sports performance
Old 02-12-10, 05:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A fair observation. I doubt it will sell very well. At least it won't cost Toyota/Lexus much to put it out.
True.
I believe going from a 18" 50 series tire to a 19" 45 will hurt ride quality a bit too.
My son in law has a '08 LS460L.No doubt a wonderful car.He's in his mid 30's with a LS which is not the norm.
He loves comfort and does use the car for his business clients.
He doesn't have much interest in a Sport version.
Old 02-12-10, 05:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tromly
, I'm 62, I would purchase the 460 for it's quiet ride and overall refinement, not it's BWM sports performance
I'm 57 going on 30 and I still agree.
Old 02-12-10, 07:19 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus do what you do best in this category. Everytime I think of a LS460 being sporty all I can do is laugh. Stick to what you do best.
Old 02-12-10, 07:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is a slow selling boulevard cruiser.
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "slow selling"? It's the best selling model in it's class in the US.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 02-12-10 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 08:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "slow selling"? It's the best selling model in it's class in the US.
Slow selling Lexus model like the GS.
I see more Benz's on the road in my NYC metro area.
I rarely see a LS.

Quick Reply: Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport