Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pininfarina Mythos: The Ferrari Concept That Group Hugged Maranello, Tokyo, Brunei

Old 02-09-10, 11:44 AM
LexFather

Post Pininfarina Mythos: The Ferrari Concept That Group Hugged Maranello, Tokyo, Brunei

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...kyo-and-brunei

It was just over twenty years ago, 1989 to be exact, when my life as a seven-year-old boy changed forever. I was in the midst of worshiping the cheese wedge Lamborghini Countach—of which I had a CHP-liveried version, complete with busty lady cop, hanging proudly on my wall. I was also venturing into my first foray of open-air ‘motoring.’ I’d cruise our neighborhood on my DINO GT bmx bike with a My First Sony radio/cassette player jamming New Kids on the Block’s Cover Girl from its snap, crackle, pop paper cone speaker. Don’t judge. I was very young and very impressionable.

Thankfully, my impressionable nature didn’t get the absolute best of me. In my spare time, I had been drawing future Ferraris, mostly because I couldn’t grasp the beauty of the current 412, 328, or the hideously repulsive Mondial. It didn’t truly matter that I couldn’t find shelter in most of the lineup—I had deep admiration for the jaw-dropping, heavily side-straked Testarossa and its nut-buster of an older brother—the F40. Although, at the time, I had no idea why I should love either of these Italian thoroughbreds, they managed to affect me in ways very few other cars could at the time. That was, until I received my monthly collection of magazines in the mail late in the year. My heart was aflutter. I couldn’t sleep. I thought about her all the time. No, it wasn’t a swim suit-clad Kathy Ireland. My new love affair was Pininfarina designed. My new love affair was Ferrari sanctioned. My new love affair was red, sexy, and topless. Seriously, it wasn’t the lovely Ms. Ireland. My new love affair was the Pininfarina Ferrari Mythos Concept.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...kyo-and-brunei

Old 02-09-10, 12:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty amazing looking concept, never seen or heard of it before, thanks for the article .
Old 02-09-10, 12:52 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I see a:

I also found this Hamman one ... (not what I was looking for but hey, more Diablo is always a good thing I think.
Old 02-10-10, 07:29 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I have a 1/18 model of it. From what I understand, basically a Testarossa underneath.
Old 02-10-10, 09:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Whats scary is that I remember seeing that concept when I was younger. I cant believe that its been 20 years.
Old 02-11-10, 10:01 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still looks amazing after 20 years.
Old 02-11-10, 10:06 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember the car from Test Drive (Old PC Game).

Loved it..
Old 02-11-10, 04:03 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by superchan7
I have a 1/18 model of it. From what I understand, basically a Testarossa underneath.
I so wanted to get that 1/18 scale Mythos die-cast, but never did.

Indeed, the Mythos is one of my very favorite concept cars from the 80s. After reading that article by Ryan O'Keefe, though, one thing baffles me: what the hell is the Tokyo connection he alludes to in the title? The Maranello (home of Ferrari) and (Sultan of) Brunei (owns 2 replicas) are clear enough, but where does Tokyo fit in? At first, I thought it referred to Japanese-born former Pininfarina designer Ken Okuyama, but he didn't join Pininfarina until 2004, waaay after the Mythos came out.
Old 02-11-10, 04:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excessive front overhang IMO.
Old 02-11-10, 09:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Excessive front overhang IMO.
Totally agree. That was my very first reaction, too, as I looked at it. Other than that, though, it's a pretty nice-looking car. Also, depending on the engineering, center-of-gravity, front-end weight, and some other factors, long front underhangs can cause understeer.