Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What impact does Toyota QC problems have on Lexus buying decision?
A lot - holding off purchasing
9.20%
Significant factor in my decision - may impact my decision
5.75%
Enough to think about - may or may not impact purchase decision
4.60%
Not much - unlikely to have much impact
20.69%
None - no impact at all
57.47%
Toyota has QC problems?
2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Do the Toyota QC issues impact your Lexus buying decision?

Old 02-08-10, 03:44 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the Toyota QC issues impact your Lexus buying decision?

I have been a loyal Lexus buyer since the beginning -mostly because of Lexus superior quality and reliability. I have sacrificed styling and the latest technology in some cases for the security of knowing that Toyota/Lexus made the best cars and trucks.

I have to admit I am a bit shaken in my determination with all these QC issues - seems like its just a matter of time (?) before we hear how the Lexus brand is involved.

What does everyone else think?
Old 02-08-10, 04:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Toyota is a very smart company which values it's products and of course it's customers. It doesn't change my perception of the company despite the latest news. All companies go through growing pains, this is just another chapter in Toyota history.
Old 02-08-10, 05:32 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

It doesn't bother me, this will be my 6th Lexus. I wish they would start selling the all weather mats soon. That is my only concern right now...

Craig
Old 02-09-10, 12:44 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

none at all. toyota with recalls is still better quality than anyone else out there. i think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion
Old 02-09-10, 02:36 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Right now I would not purchase a HS hybrid model until Lexus clears up the brake issue.
Old 02-09-10, 08:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No impact, other than expecting better deals short term because of the hype.
Old 02-09-10, 08:11 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My mom is a Lexus addict.

I asked her what if instead of getting the RX, I got her an ES instead?

She said she would trade it in.... for another Lexus without the recall issue.
Old 02-09-10, 08:18 AM
Milla...

I know I can't comment anymore but I think some initial hesitation is natural, but I don't think anyone should have any issues with Lexus and even if any of the Toyo problems effect Lexus i.e. HS brakes, just take it in and have them reprogramed and move on..In fact I'd feel better with a toyota or Honda recall then any other auto manufacture if that makes any sense.
Old 02-09-10, 08:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Never will it affect my decision. Every brand has their own problems. If you're on a quest to find a 100% defect-free car, then you're never going to find one. At least Toyota still ranks up there in quality control, even though they've slipped.
Old 02-09-10, 08:25 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Well, not being a Toyota loyalist, it does. The one Toyota model I have been seriously considering is the Venza but even I have to admit that the cloud hanging over Toyota right now gives me pause. That's also keeping in mind that I visit here everyday and get every single bit of news and reviews of Toyota products both good and bad. It seems that QC at the big T has been suspect for a while now. At first it was just a small whirlwind but now it's a category 3 hurricane. It's the old reasonable doubt scenario from those courtroom dramas.

It is true that other makers have had lower overall quality ratings but when you're looking at a specific model with a recall issue which can be serious you may look elsewhere because a specific model from that other car maker doesn't have a recall issue.

I'm sure there are other people around like me.
Old 02-09-10, 09:53 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Im a Lexus loyalist so no, it doesnt affect me at all. Cant wait to get my hands on another Lexus this year.
Old 02-09-10, 09:57 AM
LexFather

Hell no

What impacts me is knowing some of the idiots that drive Toyotas blaming Toyota for everything. To me that hurts the image of the brand. I say let them out of their Toyota's and drive another brand and let them do the same thing to them.

Old 02-09-10, 09:58 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

no not really.. but it makes me wonder about new cars in general.. they don't make them like they used to.. when you have to rely on a computer for your car to run.. it gets sketchy
Old 02-09-10, 10:58 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soakgame
no not really.. but it makes me wonder about new cars in general.. they don't make them like they used to.. when you have to rely on a computer for your car to run.. it gets sketchy
Drive-by-wire and brake-by-wire are wonderful in concept, but just like mechanical components they can fail. Are there redundant wires carrying redundant signals as backups? I would hope so.

As for whether or not this would affect my Lexus buying decision--no, it wouldn't. It does make me wonder if there will be some nice deals to be had on a new Toyota right now though since I'm currently looking to replace the beater.
Old 02-09-10, 12:01 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
none at all. toyota with recalls is still better quality than anyone else out there. i think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion
Totally agree.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do the Toyota QC issues impact your Lexus buying decision?