Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Hyundai better than Toyota and Honda? New models suggest yes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 08:54 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Buick Lacrosse:

Hyundai Equus:

side is consistent with Azera and Elantra.

Rear is more Maxima than LaCrosse.
Old 02-09-10, 09:06 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

It doesn't take 20 years for car company to be great. it's 2010, folks. you get talents from everywhere. hyundai designed many cars from Cali. Hyundai is now caught up with Japanese competition. now it's all about product vs. product. Just like how Samsung is no longer inferior to Sony.

those days are gone.

just 15 years ago, Japan dominated electronics. in 2010? Japanese domination has finally expired. now there are great products all over the world. and proof of this is look at HTC or Acer from Taiwan. just 5 years ago they were no namers. right now they are serious contenders. frankly HTC phones are much more attractive than any Sony IMO.

Last edited by joe80; 02-09-10 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 09:32 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Is it a coincidence that in some ways the Genesis Coupe looks like a 7th gen Celica?

Like SICK said, the FT-86 is a spiritual successor to the AE-86, released over 20 years ago. If anything, Hyundai copied the AE-86 by offering a cheap, fun, RWD coupe.

And no, everyone does not copy everybody to the point that they follow the competition's every move, mimic their trim level designations, mimic features, options, and styling, work with the same suppliers, and use the exact same quality and production methods invented by and created by the competition.

i have no idea how you see Celica in Gen Coupe.

and what's wrong with following the most successful car brand in the world?(minus recalls)

should Hyundai follow Chrysler? should they mimic Honda? Nissan? if you are goal is to become the best selling car brand in the world, you have to go after the best. Frankly, I'm glad that Hyundai wants to be like toyota (there is no proof of this, but i can see why you think hyundai is imitating toyota). it only means that they are ambitious and they want to be #1. Toyota before recall was taught in school. I've read the entire book, 'Toyota Way'. I'm sure Hyundai folks did too.

I'm no economist, but I can easily see Hyundai's growth will explode in this decade. not just a gradual growth. I think at one point it will explode.

and you don't have to worry about Hyundai because they know what they are doing. they grew every year. they are one of the most profitable car maker in the world. they sold over 800,000 cars in China(#1 market in the world) and became #2 best seller there. Selling incredibly well in India which will become 2nd biggest market. They are #2 best seller in Canada passing Honda. Globally they are firm at #4.

when you have a genuine work ethic, ambition, $, and government to back you up, it's hard to fail. it's just matter of time IMO.
Old 02-09-10, 09:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am not just talking styling, I also talking about trends and the auto market. Hyundai's don't always look like Toyotas. The new Sonata looks like a an ES while the inside looks like a Infiniti....

Hyundai has a IRS on their mid size body on frame vehicle before Toyota (excluding Sequoia which followed Ford), a v8 in their cars (no Toyota car has this), Hyundai followed the market ahead of Toyota by offering an iDrive like controller on their flagship, Hyundai will even a have turbo in their mid size sedan before Toyota.

As for the Genesis couple, Hyundai followed the other car companies in getting a RWD 2 door coupe into production....Toyota is following behind on this...Toyota's past is its past, right now they don't have a 2 door RWD coupe now do they?
I am seriously asking do you read? Don't just type a hasty response. Read what people are saying. Please do not spin my words, I did not nor will ever say Hyundai straight copied Toyota. What I said IS A FACT, they took Toyota's production method. They hired Toyota employees. I am not here saying Hyundai's look like Toyotas.

Don't give me this spiritual nonsense.

From Hyundai themselves, "Hyundai USA acting President and CEO John Krafcik has described the Genesis Coupe as being designed "...to deliver a driving experience that challenges cars like Infiniti G37."
Did you read the specifications of the FT-86? It is as small as a S2000, nowhere close in size to the Genesis. No V-6 will be offered. You conveniently IGNORE the FACT it is a spritual successor to the AE86.

Two RWD coupes does not mean one followed the other.

Old 02-09-10, 10:16 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

In reality, they're not even in the same league. Don't forget to add the Kia Amanti to that equation as well. The new Equus is a nice ride but it's not at that level yet. I've sat in the Equus sedan in LA and Detroit earlier this year. It looks nice, but fit and finish are not quite there. I say Hyundai could be on the same playing field as Acura. Tier 2.

- Genesis is much better than ES in every possible way. price is about the same. to me Equus has failed on exterior design and interior dash which i think looks outdated already. would've been great if it came out in 2006. build quality is definitely above E class IMO. but of course it's not up there with LS in terms of build quality. Equus fit/finish isn't up there with LS, but the ride is there. from all the test drive i've read, it's basically heavier, much more quiet Genesis with creature comforts.

- you can buy amanti for 25k. amanti doesn't compete with Lexus.

- and Equus in USA will cost about 20-25 grand less than comparably equipped LS460. Equus might be bigger than LS, but it will be cheaper than v8 offerings of 5/E/M. and i think hyundai could easily improve on quality if they throw another 20-25 grand to improve the quality, but i don't think that's necessary.
Old 02-09-10, 10:38 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Why would you cross shop an RX with a Santa Fe? The Veracruz is what you should have been test driving. You would have been pleasantly surprised.
The Veracruz came out on top in a comparo against the RX in MT a few years ago
Old 02-09-10, 11:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
- Genesis is much better than ES in every possible way. price is about the same. to me Equus has failed on exterior design and interior dash which i think looks outdated already. would've been great if it came out in 2006. build quality is definitely above E class IMO. but of course it's not up there with LS in terms of build quality. Equus fit/finish isn't up there with LS, but the ride is there. from all the test drive i've read, it's basically heavier, much more quiet Genesis with creature comforts.
The Genesis is targeted at the 5 Series, E Class and GS. The ES is not a Genesis competitor.

So you haven't driven the Equus in person yet, but you say the ride is better than the LS and build quality is better than the E but not the LS?

- you can buy amanti for 25k. amanti doesn't compete with Lexus.
You can buy any Hyundai for that matter, but none of their models really compete with Lexus. Maybe Acura or Volvo...but they're not quite there yet.

- and Equus in USA will cost about 20-25 grand less than comparably equipped LS460. Equus might be bigger than LS, but it will be cheaper than v8 offerings of 5/E/M. and i think hyundai could easily improve on quality if they throw another 20-25 grand to improve the quality, but i don't think that's necessary.
The Equus is targeted at the large luxury car market, S-Class, 7 Series and LS.
Old 02-09-10, 11:08 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

The Veracruz came out on top in a comparo against the RX in MT a few years ago
Veracruz came on top because it was cheaper and had more value. but overall RX is the better SUV. but compare to veracuz against any other non-luxury competitors and it's right up there with any SUVs.

Veracruz is a sales failure because it just doesn't look great and price was bit too high for hyundai. if you are going to charge over 35k for SUV, it better be humongous like american SUVs or it better be the best looking SUV out there. i know it has 3rd row, but it's not that big and the exterior design doesn't have any character.

I think Hyundai can do better than that. I think hyundai failed on veracruz. same thing goes to azera. but i'm confident they will do much better job next time. Make it look like a big big Tucson brother. it will be sell twice more.
Old 02-09-10, 11:14 AM
LexFather

Veracruz came on top because it was cheaper and had more value. but overall RX is the better SUV. but compare to veracuz against any other non-luxury competitors and it's right up there with any SUVs.

Veracruz is a sales failure because it just doesn't look great and price was bit too high for hyundai. if you are going to charge over 35k for SUV, it better be humongous like american SUVs or it better be the best looking SUV out there. i know it has 3rd row, but it's not that big and the exterior design doesn't have any character.

I think Hyundai can do better than that. I think hyundai failed on veracruz. same thing goes to azera. but i'm confident they will do much better job next time. Make it look like a big big Tucson brother. it will be sell twice more.
Very fair and good post.

Old 02-09-10, 11:19 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

The Genesis is targeted at the 5 Series, E Class and GS. The ES is not a Genesis competitor.

So you haven't driven the Equus in person yet, but you say the ride is better than the LS and build quality is better than the E but not the LS?

You can buy any Hyundai for that matter, but none of their models really compete with Lexus. Maybe Acura or Volvo...but they're not quite there yet.

The Equus is targeted at the large luxury car market, S-Class, 7 Series and LS.

I know many people who drove Equus. In korea, new equus is everywhere. I follow every hyundai in details and korean-spec Equus is a great ride. it's probably the quietest car in the world right now. it's more on LS side. it's wider than S. even the korean spec is not floaty. US spec will have better suspension IMO. but in this segment, spec really isn't that big of a deal. it's the image. S is the king. LS has that perfect Japanese flagship image. 7 has sporty image, audi is an underdog 'aren't you sick of S' image. Equus has no image. People will view it as a korean RWD lincoln town car.

it doesn't matter what Equus or Genesis targets. they both have hyundai badge. it competes against its price bracket. no matter what genesis wants to be, it's 33k-42k car.

Equus can target S class all they want, but at the end of the day its 55k car. it will compete with 50-60k cars. if hyundai makes 80-85k Equus, i'm sure it will have better details and etc. but it's not necessary. hyundai will bring equus to not to sell, but to upgrade their image. it's their halo car. i'll be surprised if hyundai sells 2000 equus a year.

Last edited by joe80; 02-09-10 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 11:25 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Still came out on top in regards to mainstream auto press.

I will have to read the article again, it was few years back if I recall
Old 02-09-10, 11:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know many people who drove Equus. In korea, new equus is everywhere. I follow every hyundai in details and korean-spec Equus is a great ride. it's probably the quietest car in the world right now. it's more on LS side. it's wider than S. even the korean spec is not floaty. US spec will have better suspension IMO.

it doesn't matter what Equus or Genesis targets. it competes against its price bracket. no matter what genesis wants to be, it's 33k-42k car.

Equus can target S class all they want, but at the end of the day its 55k car. it will compete with 50-60k cars. if hyundai makes 80-85k Equus, i'm sure it will have better details and etc. but it's not necessary. hyundai will bring equus to not to sell, but to upgrade their image. it's their halo car. i'll be surprised if hyundai sells 2000 equus a year.
The Equus may be a great car but like the Genesis,it won't sell well here.
People aren't ready to spend big bucks on a Hyundai.Maybe in the near future but not now.
Old 02-09-10, 11:37 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Still came out on top in regards to mainstream auto press.

I will have to read the article again, it was few years back if I recall
Here's Motor Trend's comparison from 2007.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...350/index.html

And to be fair, Hyundai Santa Fe came out 4 years after the Gen 2 RX (04-09) came out. Gen 2 RX came out in 2003 as a 2004 model. Hyundai had 4 years to develop what they had at the time...it's going to be a given manufacturers have a benchmark...and the RX is that.
Old 02-09-10, 11:49 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The Equus may be a great car but like the Genesis,it won't sell well here.
People aren't ready to spend big bucks on a Hyundai.Maybe in the near future but not now.

yes. why would anybody spend 50k+ on non-luxury car brand?

if hyundai truly wants to compete with Lexus of german luxury, they have to launch the new brand. they aren't doing it because it costs too much and they want to fix hyundai's image first.
Old 02-09-10, 11:55 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I know many people who drove Equus. In korea, new equus is everywhere. I follow every hyundai in details and korean-spec Equus is a great ride. it's probably the quietest car in the world right now. it's more on LS side. it's wider than S. even the korean spec is not floaty. US spec will have better suspension IMO. but in this segment, spec really isn't that big of a deal. it's the image. S is the king. LS has that perfect Japanese flagship image. 7 has sporty image, audi is an underdog 'aren't you sick of S' image. Equus has no image. People will view it as a korean RWD lincoln town car.
It should be no surprise the Equus is everywhere in it's homeland. But it's going to be a while before the Equus builds it's equity in the US, and of course the world.

it doesn't matter what Equus or Genesis targets. they both have hyundai badge. it competes against its price bracket. no matter what genesis wants to be, it's 33k-42k car.
Very true but that will only get you so far. There are buyers that like luxury and don't care for the luxury branding and there are those buyers that want luxury and the brand to go with it. Most people (Americans) hate to say it are greedy and materialistic. Brand names are important to them, and when it comes to a luxury marque, they will select a luxury brand.

Remember the Mazda Millenia and Mazda 929? Those were cars that were targeted at the luxury marques...and they were cars that were supposed to be a seperate luxury brand called "Amati" but later scrapped. They did okay, but they never got to the status although being value priced.

It's good to have options, and of course Lexus and Toyota were in that position over 20 years ago. It is just a matter of time before Hyundai builds their reputation. They're doing pretty well.

Quick Reply: Is Hyundai better than Toyota and Honda? New models suggest yes