Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

illegal to wash my car in my driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 07:47 PM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default illegal to wash my car in my driveway?

Today i was washing my little brothers g35 for him when a lady pulled over. She said "you know that soapy water goes straight to the fishes?" a little shocked at what she said i responded.. "no i did not know.."
then she warns me saying it's illegal and i could get arrested! trying not to get angry i just continued washing the car

is it really illegal to wash my car on my driveway? =\

the car came out nicely atleast -___- she scared me

Old 02-05-10, 07:50 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

umm... why isn't your 'little' brother washing his own car? you lose a bet or something?

as for your washing the car bit? you're in san fran, thats where all the smug ppl live
Old 02-05-10, 07:50 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never had an issue. I do get compliments though, perhaps it's because I detail even the undercarrage...
Old 02-05-10, 07:55 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

If it's illegal to wash your car in your own driveway, i'm leaving. The laws here are getting too ridiculous -.-

- It's not illegal to my knowledge, I wash my car all the time while cops pass by and they never said anything.
Old 02-05-10, 08:00 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is against at least city bylaws if not state law. I believe that the punishment would be a fine though, not imprisonment.
Old 02-05-10, 08:21 PM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

a fine still seems pretty bad.. i don't even wash my car that often.
i am washing his car because it was my first car and i can't stand to see it dirty. (he doesn't care). =P
laws are getting pretty ridiculous
Old 02-05-10, 08:45 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

If its a new law I'll shoot whoever tries to arrest me with my foam cannon. They can slip down my driveway when they try to walk up it
Old 02-05-10, 08:49 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
If its a new law I'll shoot whoever tries to arrest me with my foam cannon. They can slip down my driveway when they try to walk up it
LOL! I shall do the same!
Old 02-05-10, 08:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In some cities in California, it is illegal to wash your car in the driveway because of water waste/drought ordinances. I found out recently that is also the case in Australia and other countries because of water shortages.

As for waste runoff, here in SoCal we have drain markings which say "drains directly to ocean" etc. to warn people against dumping toxic items.
Old 02-05-10, 10:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe Cali was thinking about making this a law, but I dont believe it went through. Tell her to mind her own business.

p.s. i think you live close to me
Old 02-05-10, 10:55 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by encore888
In some cities in California, it is illegal to wash your car in the driveway because of water waste/drought ordinances. I found out recently that is also the case in Australia and other countries because of water shortages.

As for waste runoff, here in SoCal we have drain markings which say "drains directly to ocean" etc. to warn people against dumping toxic items.
You are correct my fellow CA neighbor. When living near the Ocean, it's a no no to wash your car in the driveway. The neighbors and association will get after you. You can't even bring in a mobile detailer if they don't have some procedure to capture all the water runoff. It's an unusual not to be able to wash your own car, but it's understandable in regards to the effect it would have on the environment.

Last edited by lexguynj; 02-05-10 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 11:37 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was she in a Prius (or other hybrid)?
Old 02-05-10, 11:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexguynj
You are correct my fellow CA neighbor. When living near the Ocean, it's a no no to wash your car in the driveway. The neighbors and association will get after you. You can't even bring in a mobile detailer if they don't have some procedure to capture all the water runoff. It's an unusual not to be able to wash your own car, but it's understandable in regards to the effect it would have the environment.
Indeed, I suppose there are more environmentally friendly car wash facilities run by professional companies...maybe also in the future more sustainable washing systems that one could personally use.

Nothing beats a nice, clean, freshly washed car. Of course lately with all the rain here in SoCal now's not the best time to wash.

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Was she in a Prius (or other hybrid)?
LOL! Aw come now...
Old 02-05-10, 11:54 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

If any of you guys need to wash but can't due to the runoff thing, check out Optimum No Rinse. Its the perfect product to use in the garage
Old 02-05-10, 11:56 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by encore888
Indeed, I suppose there are more environmentally friendly car wash facilities run by professional companies...maybe also in the future more sustainable washing systems that one could personally use.

Nothing beats a nice, clean, freshly washed car. Of course lately with all the rain here in SoCal now's not the best time to wash.

LOL! Aw come now...
I consider the rain (although unusual here in Socal as you know) my cost savings car wash! This whole no car wash in your driveway concept is making me lazy.

Quick Reply: illegal to wash my car in my driveway?