Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

illegal to wash my car in my driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-10, 07:03 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
please don't wash your car. THANKKKKSSS!

optimum no rinse a.k.a. ONR!!!!

in vancouver, the drains that feed to the ocean have a fish painted beside them. so just don't wash into those and you're fine.

about farmed fish: i'll stick to my wild salmon.

a. it taste better
b. the meat isn't dyed red through the feed(farmed salmon meat naturally is grey)
c. wild oily fish has way more omega 3's
d. it takes 5 pounds of feed for 1 pound of farmed salmon to grow(why not just eat the 5 pounds of herring, sardines, etc?)
e.a little bit of mercury might be better than the huge amounts of PCBs, pesticides found in farmed.(i'm not an organic buying hippie either)
f. farms are close to shore...so industrial run off.
g. farmed salmon basically live in long cylinder. they are stacked onto each other and swim in their own crap

if you're scared of mercury but want healthiness of fish...get fish oil pills. mercury is filtered out, way cheaper than actual salmon(nothing beats salmon sashimi or salmon steak)

still though, you would have low chance of getting cancer if you ate farmed salmon once a week than none at all.

my sources? just google farmed salmon.
1. Salmon feed is not dyed red but has had beta carotene added to it. Salmon is naturally a white fish. Wild salmon would too be gray if it didn't consume other fish (the source of mercury). Beta carotene also gives color to carrots and sweet potatoes.

2. You should buy any seafood from a quality grocery store. Lower end grocery stores are the ones that will try to fool you with previously frozen fish and farm raised fish that is not done so humanely or with quality control. For example, buying fish from a place like walmart is where you will find farmed salmon that has been treated with antibiotics and growth hormones. This is how they can sell it for so cheap.

3. Industrial runoff? This is what this thread is about. Toxins spreading into sources of food, wild salmon for example. Not too mention the pollution a cargo ship creates or God knows what the military dumps into the ocean.

I've never heard of any fish reducing your risk of cancer. Omega 3s are for heart health. It's easy to google something, but that doesnt mean that the evidence is empirical.

Last edited by SLegacy99; 02-07-10 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-07-10, 07:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

wash ur car inside ur garage so no one can see, i don't know about you but i have a sink and darin in my garage so this is an option for me. In my situation, i just pull the car into the garage and wash it in there...possible option?
Old 02-07-10, 07:50 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
wash ur car inside ur garage so no one can see, i don't know about you but i have a sink and darin in my garage so this is an option for me. In my situation, i just pull the car into the garage and wash it in there...possible option?
Sink eh? That actually would be convient given the current temperatures....but where would it drain too?
Old 02-08-10, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To be honest the dirt/grime on the car isn't that big of a deal.
Some of it IS a big deal. You want to get salt off as soon as reasonably possible, especially underneath the car, on exposed or bare-metal parts. Same goes for bird/insect droppings...they can be acidic and corrosive. Most other stuff.....yes, you can let it go awhile.

If the droppings have dried and are hard (as often happens) soften them up with warm or hot water for awhile (don't put hot water on cold glass...you can crack it), and then gently wash them off. DO NOT rub it hard...the grit particles can scratch the paint. SCRATCH-OUT or another good scratch-remover may help if you do get paint scratches or abrasions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-08-10 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 07:10 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

last summer my county did not allow us to wash our cars in our driveways because we were in a drought. but i still did it anyway >_>
Old 02-08-10, 07:31 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Nevertheless, being responsible in this case isn't that difficult. And it doesn't matter who you are or how much money you have, emissions exist and can affect anyone. Simple fact is that dirt is a natural filter. But then I think some people will never be happy until they've blown their own personal crater in this planet.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
That law needs to be updated. You can buy phosphate-free, environmentally sound detergents for car-wash use. In fact, unless my car is REALLY dirty (as after a run in snow), I find, most of the time, I don't need detergents at all.....plain water works fine.

+1......

I washed my wife's car Saturday on the driveway just using a sponge and water (no soap)...it drains right into the grass, never makes it to the street much less the drain....I just spray the car once, hit half of it with a sponge, rinse, then wash the other half and rinse; I probably use about 2-3 gallons max.

In the summer I pull halfway into the grass to wash it.

its not hard to be just a little tiny bit conscious.

Last edited by bagwell; 02-08-10 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 01:44 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Sink eh? That actually would be convient given the current temperatures....but where would it drain too?
Well for me there is a drain in my garage, and for me, you can connect a house to the spout of the sink, and you are correct i use the touchless carwash sometimes, but it just doesn't clean it enough for me, sometimes it does a really ****ty job
Old 02-09-10, 07:33 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I can understand the drought and pollution concerns in certain areas, but otherwise I think people need to mind their own business. I'm glad I don't live in a community with such rules as some have mentioned. I do what I want with my car on my property

Was she in a Prius (or other hybrid)?
LOL.
Old 02-09-10, 07:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes you just have to wash it yourself, to get it done right.

Enforcement of this type of reg (like so many others) is a joke.
Old 02-09-10, 08:36 AM
Milla...

Yup SF and Berkeley I believe have this law if I remember correctly, they will give you a fine if you're reported on. Your expected to use some sort of run off/ reclaiming matt.
Old 02-09-10, 09:15 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

... you should have asked her - "You eat fish from the San Francisco bay area?" Mercury and lead content for fishes in the bay area are so high, its recommended that most people shouldn't eat more than 1 or 2 fishes from SF a year.

I'm in the SF Sunset (and have lived here for over 20 years), and there are SF laws that do not allow for polutants to be poured down the drain. However, I've never been harassed by anyone when I've washed my car on my driveway.

Last edited by rinthiran; 02-09-10 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 09:55 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ernestfyu
Today i was washing my little brothers g35 for him when a lady pulled over. She said "you know that soapy water goes straight to the fishes?" a little shocked at what she said i responded.. "no i did not know.."
then she warns me saying it's illegal and i could get arrested! trying not to get angry i just continued washing the car

is it really illegal to wash my car on my driveway? =\

the car came out nicely atleast -___- she scared me

illegal? that's the dumbest thing i've heard

you're in the city aren't you? those SF streets stand out like crazy
Old 02-09-10, 01:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rinthiran
and there are SF laws that do not allow for polutants to be poured down the drain. However, I've never been harassed by anyone when I've washed my car on my driveway.
I think that the police probably have bigger fish to fry....get it?!?!
Old 02-10-10, 04:07 PM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the lady was driving a tundra -__- LOL
Old 02-10-10, 10:00 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

cows farting across Cali are doing more damage to the enviroment than your little car wash.