Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

War on Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 09:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
Default War on Toyota

There can be little doubt that Toyota, the world's greatest auto maker in recent years, has become the victim of much more than another typical out-of-control All-American media frenzy. When top-line political gamesman such as U.S. Transport Secretary Ray LaHood, Congressional pit bull Henry Waxman, and conniving United Auto Workers executives start piling on, this is clearly much bigger sport that the usual ritual public lynching of auto executives, a routine occurrence in Washington. The attack on Toyota, at this time of U.S. economic weakness and populist excess, is fast turning into a great American nationalist assault on a foreign corporation, an economic war.

The White House has denied any such motivation on the part of the United States. But that denial lacks credibility. While it may be technically true that President Obama's team didn't explicitly reach a decision to target Toyota, nobody in this crowd needs a presidential order to turn the Japanese auto giant's Sudden Unintended Acceleration (SUA) problem into a national industrial advantage for the United States. The owners of union-dominated Government Motors can spot a strategic economic opportunity without waiting for the memo from head office.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/sto...#ixzz0eaYBsYTO
pretty good article from canada...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2519112
Old 02-04-10, 09:21 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally somebody speaks up.......
Old 02-04-10, 09:46 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

although true I do have to agree Toyota doesn't invest in the high quality built type cars that they were known during their uprising. Cars are a bit more softer these days but that doesnt' meant its not still better than 80% of the other cars on the road. The people that pull the string on US media definitely have initiatives in Toyota's fall.

I'll let the stocks drop a bit before reinvesting.
Old 02-04-10, 09:47 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Good article, thanks for posting.
Old 02-04-10, 09:56 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there's merit to both side of the issue. One the one hand you have zealots who are more than happy to amplify every apparent failure on Toyota's part, while on the other, you have the apologists who seem to want to defend Toyota at any cost, forgive everything and release it of accountability.

The things that gets lost in all the rhetoric are also the most important things... facts. I think objectivity must rule but there's no denying that opportunists are smelling Toyota's blood in the water.
Old 02-04-10, 09:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i knew I smelled BS, even in much larger recalls before this I never saw such media and administration energy. Considering what else our govt has done, I wouldn't be surprised if they are actively motivating this type of media hype.
Old 02-04-10, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If people let the media shape their own thinking, then that is their own problem...and naiveness on their part. As a thinking person (and especially as a car enthusiast and reviewer), I come to my own conclusions, both in politics and the auto industry.
Old 02-04-10, 10:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
I think there's merit to both side of the issue. One the one hand you have zealots who are more than happy to amplify every apparent failure on Toyota's part, while on the other, you have the apologists who seem to want to defend Toyota at any cost, forgive everything and release it of accountability.

The things that gets lost in all the rhetoric are also the most important things... facts. I think objectivity must rule but there's no denying that opportunists are smelling Toyota's blood in the water.
well you have LaHood in the news all the time, speaking up how it is his credit that Toyota recalled the vehicles, yet when asked by House commitie on what is reccomended procedure for people who experience it, he gets confused and blabbers something about "turn the car off".

That makes it political, he does not even know the basic stuff about the recall. All he knows is that he is "tough" on Toyota.
Old 02-04-10, 10:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Where has Ford been in this media frenzy? They've been pretty quiet. Oh wait they arent govt owned.
Old 02-04-10, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Where has Ford been in this media frenzy? They've been pretty quiet.
Not really. Ford and GM are now offering incentives for Toyota trade-ins.
Old 02-04-10, 11:44 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If people let the media shape their own thinking, then that is their own problem...and naiveness on their part. As a thinking person (and especially as a car enthusiast and reviewer), I come to my own conclusions, both in politics and the auto industry.
Unfortunately, people like us who can rationally process this sort of data are overwhelmed by a public that is completely ignorant of facts and is led by a media that has blown this all out of proportion. Even solid business publications and cable channels are breathlessly reporting on this, putting reporters in dealers repair facilities, questioning if this tiny shim can really take care of the problem (and implying that it can't), talking to emotional owners, etc. Just saw a report on Fox Business Channel where they talked to a dealer who has mobile vans going out to customers because they are too terrified to even turn their cars on, much less drive them down to the dealer for the fix. That kind of hysteria builds on itself and if fed by a biased media just smears fact and fiction. You and I can make rational decisions, but most people can't. Unfortunately their ignorance hurts the brand and our own investment in Toyota Corporation. This is supposed to cost Toyota about $2 billion when the fix could have been done in a rational manner for a fraction of the cost, but that was before the media and ambulance chasers got into the act.
Old 02-04-10, 12:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

"Innocent" mistake and mixed signals by Lahood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU4fh6U_TI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNPlWFDaWo

There is no hard evidence there was a defect yet he goes on during a House hearing and says stop driving, then says sorry I mispoke an hour later? This is suppose to be the person in charge? What kind of leadership is this?
Old 02-04-10, 01:11 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

"ut-of-control All-American media frenzy"

exactly what I was thinking.
Old 02-04-10, 02:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Is US bullying Toyota on recall

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...T0FXa8DxrjjLwA

Is US bullying Toyota on recall?
By Mira Oberman (AFP) – 15 hours ago
CHICAGO — The US transportation chief's public rebukes of Toyota's handling of a massive safety recall have raised eyebrows, given the US government's major stake in rivals General Motors and Chrysler.

"The optics are terrible because -- and this is what happens when a government owns a company - the two companies that are going to gain the most out of this are General Motors and Chrysler," said Peter Morici, a professor at the University of Maryland's business school.

"But their behavior is consistent with the general policy of the US government, whether it's dealing with coffeemakers or cars."

Safety officials understand that product design mistakes are inevitable and will work to help companies correct the problem and alert consumers. But they will not tolerate a slow or weak response, Morici told AFP.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood sat down with reporters Wednesday to lay out a timeline of how US officials had "pushed Toyota to take corrective actions" on its pedal problems since 2007.

The meeting came a day after he issued a statement accusing the Japanese automaker of dragging its feet on recalling vehicles in danger of sudden, unintended acceleration due to pedals which could get trapped under floor mats or become "sticky."

He also caused a brief panic when he told a congressional panel that owners of 5.3 million Toyota vehicles affected by the recalls should "stop driving" them.

LaHood later sought to tone down his remarks, telling reporters: "What I meant to say and what I thought I said was if you own one of these cars or if you're in doubt, take it to the dealer and they're going to fix it."

But he insisted that safety officials "will continue to hold Toyota's feet to the fire to make sure that they are doing everything they have promised to make their vehicles safe."

Legislators meanwhile signaled that they would expand their probe, demanding answers on why Toyota's Tacoma trucks -- which have a different pedal assembly than the 5.3 million vehicles recalled -- were also experiencing problems with sudden, unintended acceleration.

Toyota's top US official, Yoshimi Inaba, is set to testify at a congressional hearing Wednesday.

LaHood's strong initial comments could cause some "hysteria, but to some extent, we are such a litigious society, he has no choice but to say that because of the lawsuits that are lined up," said Rebecca Lindland, an analyst with IHS Global Insight.

"If one more person is killed, they can say that the government didn't act; Toyota did not act."

Weston Konishi, an expert on Japan at the Mansfield Foundation think-tank, said he doubted either Washington or Tokyo wanted the Toyota flap to escalate.

"Toyota is now a real stakeholder in the US economy -- think of its auto plants and jobs -- so trying to score points against it would be somewhat self-defeating," he added.

Konishi said he could only see Toyota becoming the governments' business if the company cut off contracts with US manufacturers due to lack of confidence in quality control after the problems with the US-made pedals.

David Champion, director of automobile testing for Consumer Reports magazine, said the reaction to the recall was overblown.

"When you look at the statistics we are putting an awful lot of effort on a very small risk," he said.

"There has been something like 2,000 complaints of unintended acceleration in some 20 million Toyota vehicles -- it's almost like trying to find a needle in a haystack."

Champion lamented as "unfortunate" that it took the death of an off-duty California state trooper and three members of his family to prompt Toyota to issue a mass recall in September to address the problem.

But he said a congressional investigation was an "overreaction" and noted that the "sticky" pedal problem that caused Toyota to halt production and sales of eight models last month was not linked to any accidents or injuries.

"I'm sure it's going to hurt Toyota in the short term over the next year or so," Champion said.

"But if their products are as good as they have been in the past, we're going to see that Toyota's going to bounce back as Ford has from the Firestone (tire recall) fiasco."
Old 02-04-10, 03:15 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the first comment after the article. Sums things up pretty well.

RogersJi

11:08 PM on February 3, 2010

The bigger problem is that a Toyota with the brakes and accelerator problems is still mechanically better and more reliable than a GM.

Quick Reply: War on Toyota