Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Drifting w/Hyundai...not under warranty

Old 02-03-10, 04:56 PM   #1
dunbar43
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default Drifting w/Hyundai...not under warranty

It snowed last weekend here in KY, so my friend and I went to an open parking lot to drift his '06 Sonata. Yes I know it is a fwd and it isn't the best for drifting, but we had nothing better to do lol. Long story short, I think one wheel caught enough traction while the other was spinning and it put too much stress on one side resulting in a broken axle. The dealership towed it, but when they saw the tire tracks in the snow, they told my friend it would not be under warranty.
I was actually surprised that it wasn't under warranty, I thought if you own the car, you can do whatever you want to it. It didn't hit anything so it wasn't a wreck, and if he lost control on a road and the axle snapped, wouldn't that be under warranty?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 02-03-10, 04:59 PM   #2
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator
Trader Score: (4)

It's not under warranty since he abused the car.

If he lost control it wouldn't cover under warranty, it's covered with insurance.

C L U B L E X U S
2013 BMW 750I M-Sport 2014 BMW X1 2013 HONDA CIVIC
Had 25 lexuses for last 9 years.
blacksc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 05:17 PM   #3
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

why would anybody want to drift in a 06 sonata? :headscratch:
joe80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 08:18 PM   #4
Koma
Trader Score: (3)

Sorry dude, your friend is SOL. Abuse is not covered under warranty, you cannot do whatever you want with your car even if it's under warranty.
Old 02-03-10, 09:51 PM   #5
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Send a message via AIM to trukn1 Send a message via Yahoo to trukn1

Only warranty that the car is covered under is the one out of his own pockets. Abuse is not covered under ANYBODY's warranty service as it was you who caused the undue stress which caused the part to fail. Why in the world would you/he expect someone else to pay for damage which was caused by him acting immature/irresponsible? To an extent, you are right, you CAN do whatever you want to, to the car; but you also assume all of the liability which comes along with doing so. If you gonna play the boss, be prepared top pay the costs.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...d-my-92-a.html
"Futility can only be prosperous when you maintain the integrity of imagination!!" --Trukn1
trukn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 09:57 PM   #6
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

warĚranĚty (w˘rn-t, wr-)
n. pl. warĚranĚties
1. Official authorization, sanction, or warrant.
2. Justification or valid grounds for an act or a course of action.
3. Law
a. An assurance by the seller of property that the goods or property are as represented or will be as promised.
b. The insured's guarantee that the facts are as stated in reference to an insurance risk or that specified conditions will be fulfilled to keep the contract effective.
c. A covenant by which the seller of land binds himself or herself and his or her heirs to defend the security of the estate conveyed.
d. A judicial writ; a warrant.
4. A guarantee given to the purchaser by a company stating that a product is reliable and free from known defects and that the seller will, without charge, repair or replace defective parts within a given time limit and under certain conditions.

Android, Nikon & Rice powered
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 09:58 PM   #7
EyeKutr
Trader Score: (5)

Send a message via AIM to EyeKutr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunbar43 View Post
The dealership towed it, but when they saw the tire tracks in the snow, they told my friend it would not be under warranty.
what blows my mind is that the tow truck driver was even interested in tracks or telling the dealer about it

'06 GS300 ML / NAV , VAIS SLI, LED side mirrors (DIY), BT Nav bypass (DIY), Pics of my car
'04 GX470 ML / Nav / 3rd Row / XD 6000k HIDs
EyeKutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 10:10 PM   #8
Big Mack
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeKutr View Post
what blows my mind is that the tow truck driver was even interested in tracks or telling the dealer about it
Perhaps this is why?? \/ \/

Quote:
The dealership towed it
I agree with the consensus - you make the mess, you clean it up. In all fairness, the dealership owes that driver. Good employees like that who are observant and look out for the company they work for and do the right thing are hard to come by.

Bummer for your boy, but if that's the most expensive lesson he learns when it comes to cars, he's still far ahead of a lot of people.

Big Mack

To my fallen brethren, you are not forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are not forgiven.
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 11:00 PM   #9
eyezack87
LFA Detailer

isaac.t.lam
Send a message via AIM to eyezack87 Send a message via Skype™ to eyezack87

Thats like a person running into a wall under warranty. What do you think the dealership would say/do if he pops up to get it repaired?

Who mods a Camry? 11/6/12
eyezack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 01:21 AM   #10
Jetfire
Royale with cheese
Trader Score: (3)

if you buy a ps3 and smash it with a sledgehammer, you think you can get an exchange?

is this guy serious or is he trolling?
Haruhiko Tanahashi(Chief engineer):"when I was thinking of the LFA's character I was thinking of the whole women. A woman can be passionate and elegant, but she is also capable of being quite exciting and has a need to be dominated"
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 01:25 AM   #11
Alexis-LS
Driver

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/warranty.aspx
Quote:
Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.
Old 02-04-10, 08:30 AM   #12
dunbar43
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezack87 View Post
Thats like a person running into a wall under warranty. What do you think the dealership would say/do if he pops up to get it repaired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
if you buy a ps3 and smash it with a sledgehammer, you think you can get an exchange?

is this guy serious or is he trolling?

Quote:
It didn't hit anything so it wasn't a wreck, and if he lost control on a road and the axle snapped, wouldn't that be under warranty?
Actually hitting a PS3 with a sledgehammer is exactly the point I was trying to make...he didn't hit anything, that was why I was wondering about the fine print of warranties.
And thank you for the responses, it is now clear that only "normal use" is covered...but there would still be no way prove that the tire marks weren't from my car while he sat and watched...
Old 02-04-10, 08:41 AM   #13
GSteg
Rookie
Trader Score: (14)

It doesn't have to hit anything at all. Abuse is abuse no matter if you ran the car into a wall or do continuous burnout. Axles are generally strong as they are from the factory. It takes a lot of force to break them, and if you're doing normal driving, chances are, you're probably not going to break them.
GSteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 08:51 AM   #14
Allen K
Epic Allen

Quote:
And thank you for the responses, it is now clear that only "normal use" is covered...but there would still be no way prove that the tire marks weren't from my car while he sat and watched...
If that's the argument he wants to make the burden of proof is on him.

2007 IS350, Tungsten/Black Lux/Nav/ML - Sold after 111,667 reliable miles

TLN # π--> Allen G(oat)

Thanks...
Allen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 09:35 AM   #15
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I've told you guys before, a number of times......deliberate drifting, in most cases (not necessarily all) is abuse.

There are special winter-driving schools, where students practice snow/ice skids, and how to properly get out out of them, but those are licensed facilities, where the cars involved have special warranty, liability, and insurance coverage. However, many people do practice skids, in their personal cars in empty, snow-covered parking lots....and you can often get away with it, if the entire surface underneath the lot is slick enough to allow low-traction slides. But, hit a spot, accidentally, while sliding, that is NOT frozen, and, of course, you risk vehicle damage.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-10 at 10:33 AM..
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 09:35 AM

Tags
axel, bluing, covered, drifting, fine, hyundai, hyundais, person, print, running, transaxle, uptowngs, warranty, wwwhyundai