Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drifting w/Hyundai...not under warranty

Old 02-04-10, 09:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

tough luck on that one ;-).
Old 02-04-10, 09:15 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nobody has used the dreaded "V" word yet (VOID)

If they substantiate an abuse claim against your friend, parts of his warranty may be voided for good.
Old 02-04-10, 09:20 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only one that thinks they've just witnessed one of the stupidest series of events only to get owned and then posting it online, still not realizing the magnitude of FAIL written all over it.

Old 02-04-10, 09:23 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UptownGS
Am I the only one that thinks they've just witnessed one of the stupidest series of events only to get owned and then posting it online, still not realizing the magnitude of FAIL written all over it.

No youre not I think everyone is just marinating in it for a lil while....
Old 02-04-10, 09:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

To add to my earlier post (#15) before we all start throwing stones at dunbar43 and his friend (and, yes, they made a mistake), let's remember two things. First, none of us has a perfect record as drivers...as a teen-ager and young adult, my own driving was much more careful than average for my age group, but, nontheless, I myself still had a couple of goofs (fortunately, they weren't huge). Second, I'm a firm believer that every new (or not-so-new) driver is entitled to at least one major error (and, in dunbar43's case, he may have just made it). The real test is if you learn from that error, and don't repeat it. That's what separates good drivers from irresponsible ones.
Old 02-04-10, 10:00 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the driving doesn't bother me.... in fact it slightly amuses me. It's the fact that they called the dealership to tow the car away from the area where they knew they were doing something they weren't supposed to be doing, and I'm not talking about trying to have fun in a FWD car. The fact that he then airs it out on a public forum looking for acknowledgement that the dealership is in the wrong is straight comedy!

in the end I dont think Dunbar can claim all the stupidity in this event since it wasn't his car and ultimately isn't really responsible... there's all kinds of hilarity in this thread.
Old 02-04-10, 11:06 PM
Alexis-LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that Hyundai will recall 06 Sonata due to NHTSA think that those axles are too weak for drifting?
Old 02-05-10, 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alexis-LS
Is it possible that Hyundai will recall 06 Sonata due to NHTSA think that those axles are too weak for drifting?
Sonatas, being FWD products, don't really have conventional rear "axles". Some FWD cars, though, have what is called a "beam" axle, which is not really an axle at all but a cross-beam mounted on the rear suspension, connected to the wheel hubs. That is a cost-cutting, less-complex alternative to a true IRS (independent rear suspension).
Old 02-05-10, 10:06 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sonatas, being FWD products, don't really have conventional rear "axles". Some FWD cars, though, have what is called a "beam" axle, which is not really an axle at all but a cross-beam mounted on the rear suspension, connected to the wheel hubs. That is a cost-cutting, less-complex alternative to a true IRS (independent rear suspension).
Im slightly confused by your post, what does the rear of the vehicle have to do with anything, I thought he snapped an axle as in the FWD trans-axle, since the engine sits transverse and an axle comes out of the drivers side and passenger side of the transmission.
Old 02-05-10, 10:38 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dunbar43
It snowed last weekend here in KY, so my friend and I went to an open parking lot to drift his '06 Sonata. Yes I know it is a fwd and it isn't the best for drifting, but we had nothing better to do lol. Long story short, I think one wheel caught enough traction while the other was spinning and it put too much stress on one side resulting in a broken axle. The dealership towed it, but when they saw the tire tracks in the snow, they told my friend it would not be under warranty.
I was actually surprised that it wasn't under warranty, I thought if you own the car, you can do whatever you want to it. It didn't hit anything so it wasn't a wreck, and if he lost control on a road and the axle snapped, wouldn't that be under warranty?
Kudos to you both for going to a vacant offroad area to practice your emergency car control skills. I think you are saying one of the front axles broke & I assume it is the passenger side front axle on a V6. A couple points that might be helpful : This might have happened by spinning the tires in snow on a road & suddenly getting traction on bare pavement , the axle should be able to handle this stress. I would say if the axle turned blue from overheating that would prove deliberate abuse. If the axle broke with no bluing or just broke a retaining ring (like the recall on new Camaros) then you may have done Hyundai a huge favor since Auto Manufacturers should spend millions of $$ (yen?) to discover weakpoints in their drivetrains.
If the dealership won't help you in some way see what another shop will charge to fix it & threaten to take the car elsewhere. Remember the dealership makes money only if you let them fix it, if it gets warrantied Hyundai pays them & gives them the parts.
Old 02-05-10, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Im slightly confused by your post, what does the rear of the vehicle have to do with anything, I thought he snapped an axle as in the FWD trans-axle, since the engine sits transverse and an axle comes out of the drivers side and passenger side of the transmission.

OK, if he broke a front transaxle-shaft, fine...Sorry, that was my error. Since he was drifting, with the rear end sliding sldeways, I had assumed he broke something in the rear.