Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Discontinued Infiniti Q45 maybe Q50? (no replacement coming)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 09:11 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
The M will be the true flagship since Infiniti is going to get a new FWD model to slot between the G and the M that compete with the TL and ES. The new M is huge and only a few inches short of the SWB LS, so I don't see why so many of you are saying the Q needs to come back. The M also cost nearly as much as an entry level LS.

As I see it the G is the entry level the future FWD car will be the mid level, and the M is the flagship.
Agreed. Not to mention Infiniti is also planning a new model slotted below the G, so there will be plenty of diversity in their lineup very very soon. I just think they should expand the M line and introduce a LWB option and maybe even offer a high end version with a supercharged V8/ or hybrid system, or even an M coupe to cater to a broader base. They have had much success with the M and it has become their flagship. I see no reason why they need a new Q or any other sedan above the M. They don't have to follow the formula of the competition, just expand on their successes. They should also bring out the Essence in my opinion, which would serve as their "halo" car.
Old 02-12-10, 10:51 PM
LexFather

The M will be the true flagship since Infiniti is going to get a new FWD model to slot between the G and the M that compete with the TL and ES. The new M is huge and only a few inches short of the SWB LS, so I don't see why so many of you are saying the Q needs to come back. The M also cost nearly as much as an entry level LS.

As I see it the G is the entry level the future FWD car will be the mid level, and the M is the flagship.
Sorry but a FM based car is not a D class flagship. It performs well in its class it does have the image/panache/luxury/size/options/features of the LS/S/7 etc class.

The M37/56 is in the 5/GS/E class segment which Infiniti has stated themselves. They are not confused with where it is positioned so we should not be.

The RL and M are "their" flagships but clearly not true D class Flagships.

Apples to Oranges.

Old 02-13-10, 04:31 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry but a FM based car is not a D class flagship. It performs well in its class it does have the image/panache/luxury/size/options/features of the LS/S/7 etc class.

The M37/56 is in the 5/GS/E class segment which Infiniti has stated themselves. They are not confused with where it is positioned so we should not be.

The RL and M are "their" flagships but clearly not true D class Flagships.

Apples to Oranges.
Yes I'm not saying the M is in the same segment as true flagships but the M itself is worthy to be Infiniti's flagship if that makes any sense That's not something that can be said of the RL though lol.

Anyway for a near luxury brand like Infiniti the flagship model usually competes with true luxury brands midlevel model. Perfect example being Saab and Volvo.
Old 02-13-10, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

. The new M is huge and only a few inches short of the SWB LS, so I don't see why so many of you are saying the Q needs to come back. The M also cost nearly as much as an entry level LS.
Yes, the M is big, but, IMO, not big enough to be a flagship in this class of vehicle.

Infiniti is not the only manufacturer to make this error. Cadillac, Lincoln, and Buick have all either dropped or are in the process of dropping their largest, heaviest models. The Town Car is virtually gone, and the DTS and Buick Lucerne will likely soon be gone, too. IMO, that is a mistake.

And.....I'm sure that Mike (1SICKLEX) will agree with me on this one .........the Acura RL, while otherwise a superb car, is also a little too small to be a true flagship.
Old 02-13-10, 07:37 AM
LexFather

Yes I'm not saying the M is in the same segment as true flagships but the M itself is worthy to be Infiniti's flagship if that makes any sense That's not something that can be said of the RL though lol.

Anyway for a near luxury brand like Infiniti the flagship model usually competes with true luxury brands midlevel model. Perfect example being Saab and Volvo.
Gotcha......

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And.....I'm sure that Mike (1SICKLEX) will agree with me on this one .........the Acura RL, while otherwise a superb car, is also a little too small to be a true flagship.
yup among other things

Old 03-15-10, 07:28 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Update

Infiniti dealers across the country have been desperately waiting for a new Q flagship sedan to take on the likes of the Lexus LS and BMW 7-Series to be announced, however, it appears their wish may never come true.

The last Q model ended production back in 2006 and at the time the base sticker price of the car was $58,750. The current range topper in Infinti’s lineup is the latest 2011 M56, which starts at $57,550, so there’s definitely room for a more upmarket model. However, Infiniti’s vice president of its global business unit, Toru Saito, explained to Automotive News that the Q45 never sold well in the U.S. and that a more expensive model will be even harder to sell. There’s also the fact that the latest 2011 Infiniti M is almost the same size as the old Q45.

All is not lost, however. Saito went on to explain that the new M will "play a flagship role" to gauge demand for an even more expensive model by seeing how many people buy the most expensive M with all the options boxes ticked.

However, the top priority now for Infiniti is to generate more global appeal. Infiniti is no longer a brand isolated to the U.S. and is currently sold in Korea, China, Russia and most of Western Europe. Another major focus is environmental and efficiency challenges, which the upmarket Nissan division hopes to address with a new all-electric compact car.
Old 03-15-10, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Infiniti’s vice president of its global business unit, Toru Saito, explained to Automotive News that the Q45 never sold well in the U.S. and that a more expensive model will be even harder to sell.
Infiniti dealers across the country have been desperately waiting for a new Q flagship sedan to take on the likes of the Lexus LS and BMW 7-Series
Well, it looks like most of the dealerships here don't even agree with their own chief. And, in general, individual dealerships know more of what they need than some executive thousands of miles away....the dealerships are the ones that actually sell the cars on a day-to-day basis, and generate the income.
Old 03-15-10, 10:30 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Infiniti needs a REAL flagship car for their fleet! The M is not it, its weird for a lux brand to not have one then expecting to be taken seriously. You think they would want to compete in every class with the competion (BMW, Lexus, MB & Audi) instead of throwing in the towel, make a flagship people want to buy.
Old 03-15-10, 11:27 AM
LexFather

Here is the actual article...

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...3/303159948/-1

As for you Infiniti dealers who are eager for a flagship sedan to replace the Q45, which was pulled from the lineup in 2006 -- well, don't hold your breath.

Nissan officials have made noises about a new full-sized flagship to compete against the Lexus LS 460, BMW 7 series and Mercedes-Benz S class. Toru Saito, vice president of the global Infiniti business unit, said several regional markets have requested a return of the big sedan. But he points out that the Q45 never sold well in the United States, which is its most natural market.

What's more, the redesigned M sedan, arriving this month, approaches the old Q45 in size.

The M will "play a flagship role" to test how strong the brand is, Saito said at the Geneva auto show this month. Should there be demand for a fully loaded M sedan, then maybe a new Q would be developed.

"I would like an iconic product," Saito said, "but the No. 1 challenge is the environment and efficiency."

Old 03-15-10, 01:46 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Each manufacture should just work on key aspects of what they are good at, we don't need everything from everyone.

The Q45 where nice cars but, not even close to the Germans or Lexus in terms of status, and this is a segment where the buyer wants the car to be noticed for what it is, and how much it cost