Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Upcoming Review Request: 2011 Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 09:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Upcoming Review Request: 2011 Hyundai Sonata

I have both CL and non-CL requests for a full review on the new 2011 Sonata, and while I can't (yet) test-drive one or do a full review, I did get to see one today at the D.C. Auto Show. Hyundai had a prototype model (not production-spec yet) out on the floor, unlocked....a grayish-blue color with a dark gray/black interior. According to the Hyundai people there, they are almost ready to start producing them, and it should be released shortly. As requested (and promised), I still plan a full review after they are released, but, in the meantime I did get a pretty good static inspection of the car....Hyundai is pretty good about displaying their upcoming models, unlocked, for the public to see them. So, in the meantime, while waiting for a full-review, I'll give you some initial impressions.

I was somewhat disappointed with it. liked the last two generations of Sonatas, and had a very high opinion of them, but the latest 2011 model, while not necessarily a bad car, I found distinctly less impressive, from my point of view. First, the roofline and windows have been reworked into the same humpback-whale shape as the VW CC and Mercedes CLS, which significantly lowers both the front and rear roofline, cutting into interior headroom in both seats. It gives rather poor visibility out the back and the rear side windows.....noticeably poorer than in the old car, with its more conservative rear roofline. It also makes getting in and out harder for tall people, especially in the back. The body sheet metal and doors, while not excessively tinny, seems to be slightly less solid-feeling than the last model. The rear roofline cuts deep into the trunk-lid opening, compromising the opening size.....but not necessarily the trunk space itself. There is a minimal use of silver/metallic trim inside, leaving rather large, black swathes of, material inside...a little too plain-looking, IMO. The NAV system has gone to an Nissan/Infiniti-like round ****/dash controller....not the worst I've seen but still somewhat awkward to use (they had battery/interior power hooked up to the display, so all of the interior features worked).

And, of course there are a couple of nice touches, too, like the multi-color, back-lit, electro-luminescent gauges, good exterior fit/finish, and relatively good interior/exterior hardware despite the thinner sheet metal. But, overall, based on the static display alone, given the choice, I'd take the old model over the new one in a heartbeat.....but, of course, I'll have to save final judgement for the full review and test-drive, which, of course, I wasn't able to do today.

(I don't have a digital camera, so I'll post some Google shots)

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 10:42 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Benz on the outside. Infiniti on the inside.
Old 01-30-10, 12:05 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think the design of the new model is 100 times ahead of the last model, which was generic, plain, and staid. The low roofline does cut into headroom, but I think it's going to be a feature that helps this model sell and stand out from the crowd.
The only negative I am seeing so far is it seems they dropped the daul exhaust, or any exhaust tip at all. I haven't seen one yet in any pic. Adding tailpipe tips is easy manufacturing and high on the eye-candy chart. I am surprised Hyundai went backwards with this when they seem to be the kings of loading up their cars with extras.
Old 01-30-10, 05:19 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

As previously stated, I love my 09 Limited and eagerly await this review, but what SHOCKS me is no V-6 for 2011.... absolutely shocking...
Old 01-30-10, 08:57 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

definitely love/hate design. i love it personally.

Old 01-30-10, 10:39 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Looks like Hyundai has a winner
Old 01-30-10, 10:53 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Mike,

what's your take on new Legacy's exterior design?
Old 01-30-10, 01:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
Mike,

what's your take on new Legacy's exterior design?
Well, the added size over the old model doesn't hurt, and it's not the ugliest car I've seen, but I tend to be conservative in my preferences. IMO, the headlights are too large and swept-back-and-up too much, the roof is too humpback-whale-shaped, and that overly-swept roofline cuts into the trunk lid too much. But, that is just the way a lot of new sedans are (seemingly) designed these days.....they try to imitate sport-coupes. We obviously see the same wth the 2011 Sonata. I say let a sedan simply be a sedan.

Old 01-30-10, 01:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, the added size over the old model doesn't hurt, and it's not the ugliest car I've seen, but I tend to be conservative in my preferences. IMO, the headlights are too large and swept-back too much, the roof is too humpback-whale-shaped, and that overly-swept roofline cuts into the trunk lid too much. But, that is just the way a lot of new sedans are (seemingly) designed these days.....they try to imitate coupes.

Good points about the Legacy. I really wanted to like this redesign, but the fender flares are huge and make the tires look tiny. To me, that's a fatal flaw. I also agree the headlights are too big and overstyled.
Such potential, yet off with the details.
Old 01-30-10, 02:11 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I find legacy extremely ugly and I find last gen sonata too bland.

i really think the new sonata completely destroys last gen sonata in exterior design IMO..
Old 01-30-10, 02:20 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
As previously stated, I love my 09 Limited and eagerly await this review, but what SHOCKS me is no V-6 for 2011.... absolutely shocking...
People weren't buying them.
Old 01-30-10, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I find legacy extremely ugly and I find last gen sonata too bland.

i really think the new sonata completely destroys last gen sonata in exterior design IMO..

OK...I was just responding to your inquiry. You apparantly are less-conservative than I am when it comes to auto styling/design, and like the extreme aero-look (I don't). Your opinion of the Legacy is not alone in that many Subaru fans find it less-appealing than the 2005-2009 model, but few have gone so far as to call it "extremely" ugly. And, as for the new Sonata, I did notice one thing at the show........it did not seem to be picking up a whole lot of potential interest; definitely not as much as the Buick LaCrosse, Ford Taurus, or Chevy Malibu. I did, however, get some review requests for the new Sonata (both CL and non-CL), so I will do a full-length review when possible.
Old 01-30-10, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
People weren't buying them.
People who buy Hyundais usually aren't looking for a lot of power or performance. Those who do buy larger-engined Hyundais often do simply because of necessity....the V6 is needed because of the vehicle's weight; or to keep it from being too slug-like or overburdening the engine.

A shame, too, because anybody who springs for the V6 3.8 Track model Genesis Coupe gets a superb sports-coupe; one of the closest things I've driven to a BMW from an Asian manufacturer.
Old 01-30-10, 04:31 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i still can't believe you prefer last gen over current gen!
Old 01-30-10, 04:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i still can't believe you prefer last gen over current gen!
Nice pics, I know which one I prefer (of the 2) and I expect the buying public will too.

Yes it has some stylized elements of the CLS and current C-class and that's a good thing when you are trying to sell into an affordable price range of competitive sedans.

I saw the Sonata at the January SJ show and the crowds around it were substantial.

Quick Reply: Upcoming Review Request: 2011 Hyundai Sonata