Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The union's reaction to Toyota clossing the Nummi (nsfw language in video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 02:43 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The union's reaction to Toyota clossing the Nummi (nsfw language in video)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=56033

Wow, now thats some scary stuff especially around the 1:20 mark in the secon video.
Old 01-26-10, 03:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm somewhat saddened that Toyota is deciding to close down Nummi. There will be a lot of lost jobs for those in Fremont. It's almost a domino effect since ultimately it's workers will be affected and and ultimately the suppliers in the surrounding areas that feed Nummi will have to find another means.

But seeing this from a business and operational standpoint, this is an expensive plant for Toyota to solely operate. It's old and inefficient and it's unionized. Toyota has plenty of plants across the USA that they have build to their spec without the use of unions. The unions killed the Big 3 like it or not.
Old 01-26-10, 04:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad my car wasn't built by the bunch of animals in this video.
Old 01-26-10, 04:15 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Glad my car wasn't built by the bunch of animals in this video.
Just an example of unskilled labor, whimps and wannabees !! Screw the UAW, all you people now join the real world and make the $10/hr you truly deserve.
Old 01-26-10, 04:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

well people lost their jobs and for older people it will be hard to find new ones... they paid their union fees thinking union will protect them, and instead it only did them harm.

i feel sorry for these people.
Old 01-26-10, 05:30 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well people lost their jobs and for older people it will be hard to find new ones... they paid their union fees thinking union will protect them, and instead it only did them harm.

I have no sympathy for these people whatsoever. They will have to get over their sense of entitlement before they will gain any respect from me.
Old 01-26-10, 05:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
I have no sympathy for these people whatsoever. They will have to get over their sense of entitlement before they will gain any respect from me.
what exactly was the sense of entitlement there? They paid union to protect their jobs... Union recruited them telling them it is only way to save their jobs. Now they are losing their jobs, despite working hard for them.

i am sure that if we were to be fighting to keep roof over our heads, we would feel the same.
Old 01-26-10, 07:11 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Losing NUMMI is a blow to NorCal, but the UAW has made their bed here and they've got to sleep in it.

As for those union lackeys, well there's always working at Hollister, AC Transit, BART and Muni - just as long as they don't operate the M-Ocean View train
Old 01-26-10, 07:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW!! Thats a bunch of classy guys there. These people are uneducated manual laborers that need to act like adults or at least dont act like animals
Old 01-26-10, 08:28 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

after watching that video, I am never going to buy another american-assembled car.

it's japanese kaizen or german for me. or canadian, even.
Old 01-26-10, 09:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

These people do not inspire any confidence. They are angry because they are losing a job that paid them double what they should have been paid.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-26-10 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 09:20 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when you're stressed out about your job, on your last thread knowing you don't have a job there anymore, and you have your own people against you, who wouldn't snap?

I'm sad that they shut down NUMMI too. I studied about it in school and was hoping they could keep this going on.

I hope CAMI will expand as GM injects more funds.
Old 01-26-10, 09:28 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

CAMI may go the way of the dodo now that VW has a controlling stake in Suzuki. And VW may not want anything to do with GM, even though they are both state-owned enterprises.
Old 01-26-10, 09:46 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ughhh... unions.
Old 01-27-10, 04:25 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

, don't know how you can feel sorry for people that go their entire life , thinking that being an unskilled laborer can reward them with an overpaid lifetime job ?? Get real, the UAW is made up of losers who thought they were worth a $78/hr wage package and a big break room!

Quick Reply: The union's reaction to Toyota clossing the Nummi (nsfw language in video)