Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Dealer Will Not Honor Auction Deal

Old 01-20-10, 12:42 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Hyundai Dealer Will Not Honor Auction Deal

File this one under the dangers of mixing traditional Brick & Mortar business practices with the immediacy and transparency of the internet. Glenn Hyundai of Lexington, Kentucky placed a slightly used Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T on eBay Motors. There was no reserve, and a gencoupe.com forum member named McFly made a bid of $16,125 and won the auction (here's a PDF of the auction in case the eBay link goes dead).

Not a bad price, especially as the Gen Coupe in question had less than 5,000 miles on it and costs over $22,000 when new. McFly then secures financing from his bank to pay for the Coupe, makes the necessary travel arrangements to go pick up his car (he doesn't live in Kentucky) and calls the dealer to put down a deposit with his credit card. This is when things begin to go bad. We'll let McFly take it from here:
I talk to the front desk secretary, ask her how to make my deposit for an Internet Sales deal I have, and she immediately transfers me to Eric Manley. I talk to Eric briefly and he laughs at me over the phone, "Sorry buddy but you're not getting it for that price, he says." I tell him it's a deal that I have worked out with the Internet Sales guy, and I'm ready to make the deposit. He laughs at me again, and says, "sorry buddy, not for that price." It's obvious that this guy knows nothing about it, but it's odd that he won't let me make my deposit. He's clearly either confused or not the right guy.
Youch – and you know there's a Hyundai Assurance joke in there somewhere. No one wants to be laughed at, especially when you won the car in question fairly and in a legal manner on an eBay auction. McFly doesn't give up, and eventually finds out that the owner's name is Cy Dicken. He gets in touch with a guy named Tad, who called McFly supposedly to take his credit card info. It turns out that Tad is the person who placed the Genesis Coupe on eBay in the first place. More from McFly:
Tad tells me that he's the one that made the deal (listed the ebay auction), and there is no way I'm getting it for that price, and that he doesn't care about the Legal Binding Contract that they have (the ebay auction), I'm not getting the deal.

We argue back and forth for a while. He offers a Christmas card, and then a Turkey [sic] for compensation, while I tell him that I have a "Legal Binding Contract" from them and that I'm not going away until I get my car or some compensation for this headache that they've put me through." He then says, that "Sorry, car has already been sold, so you can't have it it's gone."

...He says "we're going around in circles, you're not getting the car that I don't have here to sell you, and definitely not for that price. You've had a few people hang up on you already, why continue this. Didn't I tell you I was the owner." All lies of course, as I tell him "No you told me that you were Tad, not Cy Dicken, and everyone has been real nice so far, no ones hung up on me."
Ooof... It goes on and on like this – long story short, McFly didn't get the car at that price. We saw a similar case a while back when a Nebraska BMW dealer refused to honor an auction for a $60,000 M3. Due to pressure, they eventually caved in and agreed to let the car go for the price they sold it for. Still, you got to wonder if the few thousand dollars both of these dealers feel they deserve is worth the headaches and bad press.

We contacted Glenn Hyundai to get their side of the story, but were passed around before ultimately being hung up on. We then contacted Hyundai USA, who told us, "We expect our dealers to contract in good faith with customers. We do not know the details of this transaction. But we hope the dealer and customer in question can come to a mutually beneficial agreement." We'll keep you posted if McFly's situation changes.
Old 01-20-10, 12:47 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Are dealers seriously that stupid? The reserve option is there for a reason.
Old 01-20-10, 12:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

so unprofessional of them to do that. I remember the Nebraska M3 case. I would have thought that the dealership would cave and give in, especially when it was auctioned
Old 01-20-10, 12:53 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

humm, if I had a lawyer friend I'd have them contact the dealer....
Old 01-20-10, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lol didn't we see something similar on a bmw before
Old 01-20-10, 01:01 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rominl
lol didn't we see something similar on a bmw before
We sure did. And if it goes anything like that I'm sure a lawyer will volunteer his time just to get the media exposure of taking on Hyundai, and Hyundai will eventually cave.

"This will not end well"...for Hyundai.

Hope this stupid, slimy dealer does what is right, whether he is forced to or whether he has a sudden attack of conscience.
Old 01-20-10, 01:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would assume with Hyudai expanding as well as it is and planning on starting a luxury line that it would want to squash stuff like this
Old 01-20-10, 01:06 PM
LexFather

The BMW fiasco is mentioned in the article....

Old 01-20-10, 01:50 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't even need a lawyer, just a really bored law student will probably do. Hyundai is flat out wrong in this case, but I suppose it will depend how badly the guy wants the car.
Old 01-20-10, 01:54 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Sadly, a guy buying a used Hyundai most likely does not have the same financial resource as the M3 buyer to follow through a lawsuit till the end.
Old 01-20-10, 06:17 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Wow...... Internet did its job. The dealership is working on an agreement with him.

Internet is NOT to be messed with.

http://www.gencoupe.com/general-disc...-honor-15.html
Old 01-20-10, 06:57 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/20/h...-to/7#comments

I'm wolverinejoe in gencoupe forum.

i was the first one to send links to autoblog.

McFly should thank me. haha
Old 01-20-10, 07:43 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

just another random gen coupe pics. man, i love gen coupe. it's the best looking coupe to me.

Old 01-20-10, 08:55 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

GOOD JOB!!!

I don't care what you own/worship/pi$$on.............

That was great stuff.

The interwebs made it happen......FAST.
It made to Digg

(dont take too much credit....haha)

Last edited by King7Two; 01-20-10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 09:11 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kentucky Hyundai Dealer Won't Honor eBay Auction Deal, Calls Buyer "Psycho"

A GenCoupe forum member's up-in-arms over a Hyundai Genesis Coupe he claims he won on eBay Motors from a Kentucky dealership. We spoke to the dealership. They claim the buyer is "a little psycho." Accusations are flying, but who's right?

UPDATE: The Kentucky Dealership is threatening to sue the buyer if he doesn't stop talking about this.

Here's the part of the story both parties seem to agree on: a 2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T was listed on eBay Motors in December of 2009 with a little less than 5,000 miles. A few days later the bidding ended and the item listing page claims the winning bid was $16,125 (a copy of which is below). That's about it.

The prospective buyer claims he won the bid and, currently, the item listing seems to back up his claim that the winning bid was $16,125 — much better than the retail sticker price of $22,000.

The Internet Manager for the seller, Eric Manley of Glenn Hyundai in Lexington, Kentucky, claims the car was only listed at a "Buy It Now" price of around $19-20K and, because no one purchased it at this price, the car was removed. Other than stating this is the case there seems to be no evidence backing this up as of yet.

What seems to have happened, given the evidence, is that Glenn Hyundai put the car up for sale on eBay with a "Buy It Now" price and only with the intention of having it such a price and was unwilling to sell it any lower than around $19,700 but didn't properly set the conditions of the sale.

The buyer mentions in his post that:

[Tad Dunn of Glenn Hyundai] tells me there was a Buy-It-Now for $19700, bidding started at $15000, admitted he did not put a reserve, and admits that had the auction not gone above $19,700 he would simply not sell it.

After attempts at rectifying the situation failed, both parties are seriously pissed off. In fact, when we spoke to Manley (who hung up on AutoBlog) he said "I don't know what the kid's problem is other than he's a little psycho." He's also threatening to sue the buyer because of "slander" and claims he "lost his mind."

The buyer is attempting to work through the media, eBay and the Kentucky government despite Manley claiming they've already sold it to someone else.

We've left messages with eBay PR to try and determine who may be in the right here and what legal recourse they might have.
http://jalopnik.com/5453145/kentucky...yline=true&s=i

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyundai Dealer Will Not Honor Auction Deal