Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Dealer Will Not Honor Auction Deal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 01:12 PM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call a local TV station... they always need a good story
Old 01-22-10, 06:17 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Please don't confuse Hyundai with a Hyundai dealership... two separately owned companies that happen to do business together.
It's not like its "Jim's Used Car Lot." If it's a Hyundai dealer, their sales practices and tactics, right or wrong, rub off on the brand. We see those discussions time and time again here and on other forums, including rants vs. Lexus. One bad dealer shouldn't reflect on the brand, just like one bad sales person shouldn't reflect upon the dealer--but, in fact, it does. The Hyundai brand can't want negative publicity against one of its dealers--for any reason whatsoever.
Old 01-22-10, 09:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Please don't confuse Hyundai with a Hyundai dealership... two separately owned companies that happen to do business together.
How can you separate them? Hyundai should try to regulate their dealers somehow. I know that Lexus try to set standards for their dealers and regulate them with incentives and car allotment. If Hyundai cannot control the dealership that represents them locally, they will never be anything more than a want to be car company.
Old 01-22-10, 01:42 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manufacturers have very little control over their dealers. Dealers have more power in the relationship than you would think - without them, the manufacturer can't legally sell their cars, as dealer franchise laws strictly prohibit it.

GM tried. They were engulfed in a tsunami of lawsuits and other various problems until they gave up.

What about Nissan dealers charging markup on the GT-R? Nissan has no say in what they do, other than to ask them not to.

A dealership buys cars from the manufacturer, and sells them for a profit - similar to any store. Just as you might shop at a different grocery store because you prefer the service they give, you can choose to go to another dealership based on the service they give.

Does it give a bad name to Hyundai? Certainly, but it gives a bad name to their dealership as well, and if they don't seem to care about that, why would they care about the reputation they are sloughing off onto Hyundai?
Old 01-22-10, 01:46 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
How can you separate them? Hyundai should try to regulate their dealers somehow. I know that Lexus try to set standards for their dealers and regulate them with incentives and car allotment. If Hyundai cannot control the dealership that represents them locally, they will never be anything more than a want to be car company.
Lexus is a luxury brand with a different buyer demographic that tends to value experience (dealership/ownership/service) more than price.

Buyers cross-shopping a Hyundai would focus more on price, or they wouldn't be looking in that segment. They don't limit their production of vehicles, so there's really no way to restrict car allotment.

Comparing luxury vs non-luxury dealerships is not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Old 01-22-10, 03:25 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm with oldcajun actually. The dealership employees are the problem, not Hyundai. Hyundai didn't make the deal, the dealership did. Of course Hyundai gets the bad press.

Thus Hyundai saying "they hope a resolution can be met".
The employees represent the dealership. And the dealership represents Hyundai.

IMO, Hyundai should have some say in this since dealerships/employees like these give their corporation a bad rep.

The dealership lacks complete common sense. Losing 5k is not as bad as losing customers through bad reputation.

Customer service = everything.
Old 01-25-10, 07:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus is a luxury brand with a different buyer demographic that tends to value experience (dealership/ownership/service) more than price.

Buyers cross-shopping a Hyundai would focus more on price, or they wouldn't be looking in that segment. They don't limit their production of vehicles, so there's really no way to restrict car allotment.

Comparing luxury vs non-luxury dealerships is not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Luxury or non-luxury, there are ways to enforce good customer service. Its no secert, since other car companies can do it, so can Hyundai. They can use bouns, rating systems or what ever other tactics that Toyota use to make sure the dealer represent the mother company properly.
Old 01-25-10, 12:35 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

lets put it this way, if you were treated like carp in a Lexus dealer, would you buy a Lexus. Thats why Lexus make sure all their dealer have good customer service.
I know that Hyundai is not a luxury brand, but they are selling the Genesis so at least they should act like one. On top of that, even my local Toyota dealers are better than the Hyundai dealers. I blame Hyundai for not being able to enforce is standard as far as customer service is concerned.
Old 01-25-10, 01:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I think the guy is going to either end up getting the car (or one like it) or damages should this proceed through the courts. The buyer did not have any idea (nor did he have to) that the dealer 'screwed up' in failing to set a reserve, and the buyer may a good faith effort based on what was presented.
Old 01-25-10, 02:11 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
lets put it this way, if you were treated like carp in a Lexus dealer, would you buy a Lexus. Thats why Lexus make sure all their dealer have good customer service.
I was
I did
Not all Lexus dealers have good customer service.
Old 01-25-10, 02:35 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I must have missed something in the story. Why all the comments about Hyundai? This is just a car dealer selling a used car on eBay. Hyundai Corporation is not involved.
Steve
More precisely, it's a Hyundai dealership selling a used car. Of course it reflects poorly on the company, because that is how general members of the public deal with Hyundai Corporation; after all, I can't go to Hyundai Corporation and buy a car. And that's why there is an existing expectation of the Hyundai Corporation that their dealers act in good faith.

Dealers are the representatives of the corporation and that's why corporate puts so much pressure on the dealerships to maintain service standards resulting in satisfied customers. Some companies obviously don't care; I went to buy an Evo X at Courtesy Mitsubishi in Henderson (suburb of Las Vegas, NV) and was treated absurdly rudely; complaints to the dealership management and corporate were ignored or dismissed. Even worse they are supposedly a 'Diamond Excellence' dealer. Because of that experience, I will never even consider buying a Mitsubishi again.

That's just the reality of the risks corporations undertake when their industries rely on a required dealership system for distribution to the public, and if a car company doesn't hold its dealerships to a certain standard, then they'll lose customers.
Old 01-25-10, 04:52 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Update

This ended about how we predicted. You all no doubt remember McFly, the guy that won a legit eBay auction for a slightly used Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T for $16,125. Problem was that the seller – Glenn Hyundai of Lexington, KY – felt the car was worth more ($19,700) and refused to sell it to McFly. They claim they set a reserve price (even though they didn't) and wouldn't budge. End of story, kind of.

See, the internet got a hold of the McFly's tale of woe, and few things excite people (us included) more than tales of bald-faced greed mixed with dishonest car dealers. Not surprisingly, the story took off like wildfire and Glenn Hyundai soon found itself inundated with phone calls, emails, faxes – you name it. The onslaught became so bad that Glenn Hyundai got in touch with McFly and told him that if he would call off his dogs (remove his forum posts, plead with Gencoupe.com forum members to stop harassing the dealership, somehow get Digg.com to do... exactly what we're not sure, etc.) they would presumably sell him a Genesis Coupe for $16,125.

Why do we say presumably? Because we never knew the details of the agreement McFly worked out with Glenn Hyundai. Or, as McFly puts it an updated post, "For the record I have not shared any part of the verbal agreement." Despite this agreement never being finalized, some felt that McFly's saga was over (while some nearly broke their hands patting themselves on the back). We ourselves were reluctant to think or declare anything until McFly had the Genesis Coupe in hand. Guess what?

No Genesis Coupe 2.0T for McFly. He's claiming that Glenn Hyundai has breached the "verbal agreement" he reached with them. He's refusing to give any details of said verbal agreement, but maintains that Glenn Hyundai owes him a Gen Coupe for $16,125. Also, McFly's retained a lawyer. Also-also, he's contacted Hyundai USA but received no response. We'll keep you updated. Thanks to Bora for the heads up!

Last edited by GS69; 01-25-10 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I was
I did
Not all Lexus dealers have good customer service.
Me too. Not sure how anyone can get made at the car maker for dealer service.

The process is;
-escalate with who pissed you off..if not resolved
-escalate to the mgt at the dealership...if not resolved
-escalate to the owner if possible..if not resolved
-escalate to the car maker

Old 01-25-10, 07:52 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

where do u get these articles?
Old 01-25-10, 08:10 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink AutoBlog

Originally Posted by lamar411
where do u get these articles?
The recent article was from AutoBlog.
When I post articles from the web, the headline is usually a link to the original article ...

Quick Reply: Hyundai Dealer Will Not Honor Auction Deal