Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai to Launch Luxury Brand in 2010

Old 03-17-08, 11:32 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Hyundai to Launch Luxury Brand in 2010

Hyundai to Launch Luxury Brand in 2010
Posted on: March 17th, 2008
Filed under: Industry News, Hyundai
Hyundai to launch luxury brand in 2010 'along the lines of Toyota's Lexus'

Hyundai is enjoying booming success in China. The Korean automaker sold 24,000 vehicles in China so far in 2007, an increase of 11 percent over 2006. Hyundai was also the number 2 auto brand in the first half of 2008, falling behind its Japanese rival Toyota.

Currently Hyundai imports five models to China including the Elantra and Sonata. Later this year Hyundai will add two more model to its China lineup with the new Santa Fe and the Azera. That will be followed by a new sports car in October called the BK which will be based on the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. In the first half of 2009, Hyundai will bring its most expensive luxury sedan, the Genesis, with a 4.8 liter engine. A crossover is also in the works.

“Then we will keep the pace of introducing one or two new luxury models every year to reinforce our premium brand image. We have the same strategy as our Japanese rivals,” Young-Key Koo, chief representative of Hyundai Motor China for sales and marketing, told Gasgoo.

“In 2010, we will officially launch our luxury brand name and logo along the lines of Toyota’s Lexus, Nissan’s Infiniti and Honda’s Acura. All of our luxury models will have the new badge.”

That’s right baby. Go Hyundai! The same move is likely to follow in other markets including the U.S. after Hyundai studies the impact of the Genesis brand in China.

Old 03-17-08, 11:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, seriously, hyundai has come such a long way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am pretty "eager" to see the genesis when it hits dealership (right now it's all on paper)

i hate to say, but honda, catch up
Old 03-17-08, 12:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best luck to them, but I am still not sure if people will buy Hyundai luxury brand, maybe Genesis will change the image.
Old 03-17-08, 01:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

uhhh...im not sure they can pull it off. perhaps hey should see how he genesis does before deciding
Old 03-17-08, 01:04 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how they will compete in the already overcrowded market. This is going to be interesting. And who knows? Maybe 10 years later, I'll be dying to get myself a $60000 Hyundai vehicle.
Old 03-17-08, 01:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
best luck to them, but I am still not sure if people will buy Hyundai luxury brand, maybe Genesis will change the image.
yup, genesis would be an important start for them imho.

same thing for the ls400 back in 1989 anyway
Old 03-17-08, 01:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hyundai definitely has the ability to progress.

However, they need to be more innovative. Just because you can copy another company's ideas and designs and blend it into the brand doesn't make them legitimate.

They need to be forward thinking with technology and design. For example, Hyundai just started offering navigation systems within the past two years. Also, their designs are highly inspired by Lexus (such as the Veracruz copying the RX) or Toyota (such as the Santa Fe copying the Rav4).
Old 03-17-08, 01:11 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koreans... are damn good at copying. They've got industries just purely based off copying things... where original manufacturer's can't tell the difference....

And as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and though I've never been a big fan of imitation--Hyundai has to start somewhere in following a successful business model, which Toyota is. I'm sure they'll get innovative and start doing things their way somehow down the road. Compared to the bigger names in the game Hyundai has had a relatively short history, but has had a meteoric growth. Hyundai looks like it's poised to become the next "Toyota" in the industry (or at least they're planning to).
Old 03-17-08, 01:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Not interested in a luxury line. The Genesis yes.
Old 03-17-08, 01:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

japanese copied from the europeans when they first started, however there is a big difference from copying and copying and making it better (which is what the japanese did)
Old 03-17-08, 02:10 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
japanese copied from the europeans when they first started, however there is a big difference from copying and copying and making it better (which is what the japanese did)
I'm Japanese and don't mind admitting my whole culture in the past was build on copying, blending, and making it their own and better. It does seem like the Koreans at least with the Genesis have copied and made it better as well at least from a design point of view.
Old 03-17-08, 02:24 PM
Milla...

Hey other Japanese auto makers did it in the 80's so what the heck come on Hyundai show us what you got.

If they separate it enough most may not know its a Hyundai. I remember back in the day I had to tell people my LS was made by Toyota and even still they hesitated to believe me until I showed them the Toyota label in various places on the car.
Old 03-17-08, 03:12 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could tell they were gearing up for this.

I wish them well.
Old 03-17-08, 03:13 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

In before TRDFantasy.........
Old 03-17-08, 03:17 PM
JessePS

I see they want to go after Toyota's Lexus division.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyundai to Launch Luxury Brand in 2010