Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Auto show models put the smack down on male viewers at car show

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 07:06 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She's just trying to maintain some dignity in her job even though she realizes there is no point.

haha

She's in the WRONG profession.
Old 01-20-10, 07:21 AM
LexFather

I stated in my last ATL auto show review there was an obvious increase in women models and boobage around...

Old 01-20-10, 08:07 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lil4X
For nearly thirty years I spend a good deal of time at petroleum and industrial shows and have conducted seminars for dozens of private meetings, large corporations, and industry groups. I NEVER recommend the use of "models" in a professional exhibit for several reasons:
  • Thirty years ago there were dozens or hundreds of models on the show floor of any major technical or industrial trade show. They have all but disappeared along with the comedians, magicians, and pitchmen that distracted from the primary purpose of the exhibit. Put a model in your exhibit and you take your organization's image back to 1975. Show delegates are a WHOLE lot more sophisticated now.
  • Today, most businesses recognize the trade show as a powerful business opportunity - and a showcase for the company and it's latest technology. Exit interviews for the past twenty years have shown that the #1 reason people attend these shows is to see new technology. That applies to car shows, gun shows, boat shows, as well as technical, engineering, and industrial shows.
  • The people who will be attracted into your exhibit by a bimbette are NEVER people who can sign the checks. Face it, no matter how emotional the appeal of a product might be, there have to be good technical data behind the buying decision for anything but an impulse buy. That's where your salesmen, product and application engineers come in.
  • In today's business world many of the decision-makers are women. Why tick off a good portion of your target audience with a sexist appeal? You are lowering the image of your company in the eyes of not just the woman executive, but any thinking individual.
  • It's distracting to put a clueless 20 year old model, no matter how well rehearsed, on the stand as your spokesperson - WHAT do you think they are selling here? Certainly not your product. . It doesn't make good business sense to floorplan a model, no matter how stunning - particularly if she's handing out her business cards, good for a free drink at the local upscale strip club. (Yes, it happened to one of my clients.)
Trade Shows have become serious business, with booth space going for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Add in the booth construction, lighting, media, and decoration, and it's easy to drop a half million on a single show if you have only a mid-sized exhibit in an international show.

Then you look at the "secondary" expenses - transportation, setup, teardown, and storage - travel and entertainment for your visiting salesmen and reps. Then there are the "unledgered" expenses - downtime for the key people that will be out of place for a week hanging out at the show, tossing back expense-account drinks at the hotel bar, and not taking care of the customers back home. Double that first number and you get an idea of what that exposure on the show floor is really costing you.

The Trade Show isn't the drunken carnival it was as late as the mid-'70's, when professional women at the show were not affiliated with any of the exhibitors. They were there to sell their own services, and often roll their customers. Once in a great while nowadays you meet a really professional model, but they are increasingly rare. They are also deadly serious about their work - as in the OP. Understand they will not be pawed, and can deflect roving hands with a clipboard like a bullfighter executing a perfect Veronica. Oh, and if you call the number they give you, it's going to be answered down at the animal shelter.
Great post!
Old 01-20-10, 11:50 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Great post!
I second that... Very well said.

I think this person thinks that she was hired as a spokesperson, but she's not. There is a difference between a car model and a car spokesperson. A spokesperson wears business attire and is mic'ed up to explain the details on the car. A model wears a skimpy outfit, smiles, and poses with the car and signs posters of herself in skimpy outfits. This girl is a model. She is only there to attract attention, and nothing more. If she is there to provide information for the car, they wouldn't need her to dress that way.

I agree that the whole idea of having car models is ridiculous and stupid. In fact, I take offense to companies that do that, as they are insulting my intelligence in thinking that I would be attracted to their product just because there is a girl standing next to it.
Old 01-20-10, 12:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I can't be bothered to acknowledge the little rules, it's a joke.
Old 01-20-10, 12:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I stated in my last ATL auto show review there was an obvious increase in women models and boobage around...
That's a good thing, because often the rest of the drones they send to car shows don't have much to offer.
Old 01-20-10, 12:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Should I be bring a wad of large bills to these car shows now?....
Old 01-20-10, 12:31 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

I wanna see what she looks like.

I bet she isn't all that good looking either. Especially without tons of make-up and hooker clothes.

I love hooker clothes. And heels.
Old 01-20-10, 12:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They need to realize that they were hired to draw eyes to the platform and to memorize a short little blurp on the car she is presenting. In reality most of them are just sitting around to draw more attention to the car
Old 01-20-10, 01:03 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

"This is a Lexus, its pretty. Do you like my ****?"
Old 01-20-10, 01:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
"This is a Lexus, its pretty. Do you like my ****?"
hahaha....that what they are saying non verbally
Old 01-20-10, 01:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chick needs to understand what comes with the territory.

I worked in high end retail for the better part of 9 years, and let me tell you, if I went on a rant about every male customer of mine who couldn't focus on what I was actually saying I would still be ranting today and maybe for another 9 years to come.

Silly girl, if she's so smart and has such a huge issue with being objectified then she should probably pick a different line of work.
Old 01-20-10, 01:33 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol agree with the comments posted. But not sure I can get behind the 'ban the women from the car show' movement. Great curves are to be admired (albeit respectfully), whether it be in the form of a car or woman.
Old 01-20-10, 03:45 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Short version of that article: "Just because I'm dressed like a wh*re doesn't mean I am one."

Male response: "What's the difference?"
Old 01-20-10, 04:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Something about "hands off the merchandise" will be the next sign.

Quick Reply: Auto show models put the smack down on male viewers at car show