Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Toyota 4runner: interior review

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 12:16 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Toyota 4runner: interior review

Had the chance today to spend some time inside two brand new 2010 Toyota 4runners. Overall, the interior is OUTSTANDING! I wish I had a chance to test drive the 4runner but the the vehicles were parked inside next to other cars.

The two test vehicles were an SR5 and a limited model.

First off, it appears Toyota has listened to all the criticism regarding their interiors an quality issues. Overall, it appears there is quality in every step of the inside of this vehicle. All the plastics are of high quality and fastened together very well. The materials are very similar to that of the Land Cruiser and have just the right touches of soft material where it is needed. There a solid feeling door pulls and it appear there is simulated perforated material on inside of the pull (very similar to the Land Cruiser)

The center console does not budge, it can't be rocked, moved, wiggled at all . It is clearly bolted down and it feels solid. There is brushed aluminum (or whatever it is called) and is done right, there is wonderful simulated leather on the doors in all the right places and the leather seats feel of good quality. The center armrest padding is done very well.

All the switches and controls are done very well and in the right places. There are no serious ergonomics issues either. The general feeling inside is much more roomier than the 4runner it replaces, the dash is kind of more like the GX470 in that is much more roomy and upright. Seating position is a little higher than the outgoing 4runner.

Second row seats are nothing special, there is not HVAC controls but there a two air vents. There rear third row seats are kind of pointless and the fold flat is a little high up. The limited had both a power pointed and standard plug.

Make no mistake, the interior is not that of Lexus or a luxury SUVr. The interior does not feel luxurious at all. It more importantly feels premium, just like the Land Cruiser and many Toyotas before, this is an interior that justifies the price tag. Small little details are present on this Toyota, there are painted arrows on the seat controls as well as seat anchor covers that I have been complaining about for so long. Everything feels SOLID, SOLID and more SOLID.

There were some things I did noticed. The A-pillar grab handle has been removed, the 2nd row seats are a little difficult to operate and the black interiors gets scuffed easy by dirt.

Overall: Outstanding job to Toyota. It feels premium and more important it will be precieved at premium.

PROS:
Roomy interior
High quality plastics
Excellent fit and finish
Traditional 4 wheel drive shifter on part time models
Switches in different places (SR5 to Limited)

CONS:
Small navigation screen
No A-pillar grab handle
No HVAC controls for the rear
2nd row seatbelts are not adjustable
Cupholders are just OK
Old 01-19-10, 04:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice review.
I was at a dealer and saw a '10 silver Limited and loved it.
I believe the '10's are the same price as the '09's or very close even with the new model.
Old 01-19-10, 05:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with most of the review, except I didnt think the quality of the last gen 4runner's interior was that bad, in fact, it was quite good. It looks like Toyota took that a step further and made the interior better, but I like the exterior design of last gen better.
Old 01-19-10, 10:53 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree with most of the review, except I didnt think the quality of the last gen 4runner's interior was that bad, in fact, it was quite good. It looks like Toyota took that a step further and made the interior better, but I like the exterior design of last gen better.
I agree, I didn't mean to make the last gen 4runner interior sound like a bad place to be in. It was good, but this 4runner it seems they have tried to improve on things...the driving position, ergonomics and design are improved
Old 01-19-10, 11:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The only complain I had on the last gen 4runner's interior was the lack of headroom and those tiny little HVAC control buttons.
Old 01-19-10, 01:27 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
The only complain I had on the last gen 4runner's interior was the lack of headroom and those tiny little HVAC control buttons.
I agree with the headroom. I thought my 4runner's interior is pretty high quality compare to other toyotas.
Old 01-19-10, 01:55 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven the 2010 a couple times (as I'm thinking about purchasing one). I agree that it is very solidly built. Even over very rough roads, tracks etc, I didn't hear rattles from any of the 3 that I drove.

It's not brushed aluminum trim, silver plastic, but again, somewhat fitting with the 4Runner. Felt more substantial than the silver plastic in the 4th gen. (I owned a 2003 4Runner).

V6 only, they dropped the V8, I was hoping they'd offer the new 4.6L from the GX and Tundra.
Old 01-19-10, 02:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

For me its the interior quality that keeps away from Toyota products ( that and the usual lack of loaners). The cars are handsome and well equipped but when you look at the leather it just feels like the quality of the car is well below my GS350 or even my wife's TL. I still think the highlander is the best SUV in its class but I wish they gave loaner cars for all visits like Lexus. Acura, and Infiniti. I am going to get the MDX soon but I am tripping out on the mpg
Old 01-19-10, 02:13 PM
LexFather

Good review, will have to check one out!

Old 01-19-10, 04:15 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I also drove a 2010 Trail edition for a week and thought the overall interior used materials at least on par if not better than the 4th gen. I have owned a 2000, 2003, and currently a 2006 4runner so I would know

Actually tomorrow I plan to negotiate a price on the Trail edition and hope to have one by the end of the week. One thing I noticed the most over my 2006 is that the new one's upper dash has such a solid feel to it when you rap on it. If I do this with my 2006, it sounds very hollow.

As for the ride, power is down a bit (I have the V8) but its still very peppy for its added weight. The truck drives very solid with no creaks or rattles. I feel the some of the extra weight went into frame reinforcement(just a guess). Body roll is minimal, maybe a bit better than my 2006 with X-REAS. Steering is a little too light for my taste but acceptable.

I have been calling a bunch of dealers in my area and it looks like I can snag one for about $500 over invoice......can't wait!!!

edit - Oh and did I mention the Optitron gauges on the Trail, very cool looking, almost 3-D like with the center section floating there. The Limited and Trail have this while the SR5 does not.

Brandon

Last edited by bigbwb; 01-19-10 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 09:36 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
For me its the interior quality that keeps away from Toyota products ( that and the usual lack of loaners). The cars are handsome and well equipped but when you look at the leather it just feels like the quality of the car is well below my GS350 or even my wife's TL
If you reread my review, I mentioned that the 4runner is not that of a Lexus or luxury SUV. With that being said, there is no doubt that the 4runner is premium interior just like the Land Cruiser and Avalon which come to mind.

. I still think the highlander is the best SUV in its class but I wish they gave loaner cars for all visits like Lexus. Acura, and Infiniti. I am going to get the MDX soon but I am tripping out on the mpg
As for the Highlander, the 4runner is a step or perhaps two above the interior of the Highlander. The plastics in the highlander feel a little cheaper....which goes back to my review where I mention that the perception of the 4runner is that of premium SUV.
Old 01-20-10, 06:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pagemaster
As for the Highlander, the 4runner is a step or perhaps two above the interior of the Highlander. The plastics in the highlander feel a little cheaper....which goes back to my review where I mention that the perception of the 4runner is that of premium SUV.
There is not like a true truck based SUV, I know that the unibody crossovers are more popular these days, but if you want a solid truck that can take abuse, the crossovers are not it. Everything about the 4Runner is more sturdy and more soild when compare to crossovers, I think the paint job is even better.
Old 01-20-10, 07:23 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to hear that Toyota is upping their game and putting more quality into their cars and trucks again.
Old 01-20-10, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. I hope to see one next week at the D.C. Auto Show. I have to vote with those who did not find the previous 4-Runner interior very impressive. It had a lot of the same cheap painted-silver dash plastics inside that a number of Toyota trucks do.......and the Camry.
Old 01-20-10, 10:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice concise review of another successful version of 4-Runner.

The new 4-Runner received considerable attention at the SJ car show in early January. The new interior is fine enough in this class of trucks.

I have friends and family that currently own or did own one of all the generations of past 4-Runners, and all give positive feedback on extensive long-term ownership experiences.

Last edited by IS-SV; 01-20-10 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Toyota 4runner: interior review