Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Kia Forte

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 06:38 AM
LexFather

Nice review, seems Kia did their HW. These are very popular in Atlanta already, I've seen many of them.

Again what I think scares Honda/Toyota etc is this vehicle will only get better over time.

Old 01-19-10, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Yep exactly.. if it was equipped with an 6 spd Automatic transmission it would have easily knocked out 3/4 sec (0.75) at least in the 0-60 acceleration. So yea Automatic would be the better candidate for straight line accelerations from dig to maybe quarter mile. Manual would be better for road course track racing and street roll races from 60 and up.
I wasn't as concerned as much here with the Mazdaspeed3's drag-race or lap times as much as simply widening its sales appeal to those who don't want to shift or have weak arms, legs, backs, etc...... Most people don't go to drag strips or tracks.

That's even better than what 3rd gen Acura TL Type-S 6MT and Lexus IS350 Sport pkg has achieved. Wow, impressive, Forte.
Yes....I mentioned in the review that this car, while not a BMW, is clearly biased towards handling vs. ride comfort.....a reversal from most earlier Kias.
Old 01-19-10, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice review,
Thanks, Mike.

seems Kia did their HW.
Some of it, at least.

These are very popular in Atlanta already, I've seen many of them.
With the still-sour economy we have, right now, less is often more. I suspect that the low sticker price plays a big role in its sales....if so, that shows that the old anti-Kia bias on the part of the public may (finally) be a thing of the past.

Again what I think scares Honda/Toyota etc is this vehicle will only get better over time.
Both companies have been watching Hyundai and Kia for some time now. I don't think they've been taken by surprise....although, as you note, Honda/Acura still as not developed a V8, even though Kia now has one.
Old 01-19-10, 07:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review. I expect to find these available as rental cars soon enough, so at least I know what to expect without a test drive.

btw - saw the new Sonata at SJ car show in early January, it stands-out.
Old 01-19-10, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Nice review.
Thanks.

I expect to find these available as rental cars soon enough, so at least I know what to expect without a test drive.
The EX sedan (can't speak for the other versions) drives more or less like a rental car, except with somewat better handling and quicker steering response. The Forte has traded the comfort-biased chassis of the Spectra for a more handling-oriented one.

Good......I hope you liked what you saw. That means it will probably be at the D.C. Show next week.
Old 01-19-10, 08:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice review. I expect to find these available as rental cars soon enough, so at least I know what to expect without a test drive.

In your opinion, did it stand out in a good or bad way?
Old 01-20-10, 07:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In your opinion, did it stand out in a good or bad way?
First impressions of the new Sonata were good. I consider the design to be brave and somewhat daring in this particular class of mostly conservative cars.
Old 01-20-10, 09:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

First impressions of the new Sonata were good. I consider the design to be brave and somewhat daring in this particular class of mostly conservative cars.
And the Sonata, style-wise, has always been one of the most conservative of cars (in fact, that's one reason I like it). Of course, what is considered "conservative" is subjective, style-wise, and changes with time, so I'll have to take a look at the new 2011 and judge for myself. I hope to see one next week at the D.C. Auto Show....Hyundai is usually pretty good about publically displaying future products, without all that silly, nonsensical bra/cover/body-tape, spy-photo stuff.
Old 01-20-10, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anybody have more Forte questions/comments? We've drifted off-topic a little with other cars.
Old 01-20-10, 10:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

In the review, a very important point was made regarding refinement:

"In this class, I, personally, would rather have a Toyota Corolla or a Hyundai Elantra.....both have more quietness and refinement, and ride more smoothly."

Notice how the top sellers in this class of car (Corolla and Civic) are very refined cars which I feel is an important factor in differentiating these cars and driving strong sales.
Old 01-20-10, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In the review, a very important point was made regarding refinement:

"In this class, I, personally, would rather have a Toyota Corolla or a Hyundai Elantra.....both have more quietness and refinement, and ride more smoothly."

Notice how the top sellers in this class of car (Corolla and Civic) are very refined cars which I feel is an important factor in differentiating these cars and driving strong sales.

Yes. I agree. By "refinement" (as I use the term), I mean that the Forte doesn't equal its own brother Hyundai Elantra in noise control, fit/finish, ride smoothness, or in the slickness of some of the interior materials. The Forte is a relatively nice compact, but just didn't seem to get the same attention in the design process that the Elantra did. The Corolla, of course, has had a reputation for drivetain smoothness/reliability, quality, quietness, and a smooth ride (by compact standards) for some time now. It, and the Elantra, IMO, set the standards for "refinement" in this class. The Civic and the Forte seem to be more oriented towards handling, not comfort, so if you define "refinement" as good handling, they are worth a look.

Some auto magazines rate the Subaru Impreza as the most "refined" of the compacts, but I don't necessarily agree.........it has a lot of road/tire noise from a lack of insulation in the wheel wells, somewhat like the Forte .
Old 01-20-10, 10:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Refinement is something premium car owners (Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Porsche, Jag) thoroughly understand and demand. Refinement goes beyond good ride/handling and includes quietness, structure integrity, fit/finish, weighting/feel/smoothness of primary and secondary controls. The Corolla and Civic are the best at this in this class of lower priced, smallish cars and they have the big sales numbers too.

The Forte will take it's place below the Corolla and Civic for reasons that include differences noted.
Old 01-20-10, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Refinement is something premium car owners (Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Porsche, Jag) thoroughly understand and demand. Refinement goes beyond good ride/handling and includes quietness, structure integrity, fit/finish, weighting/feel/smoothness of primary and secondary controls. The Corolla and Civic are the best at this in this class of lower priced, smallish cars and they have the big sales numbers too.

The Forte will take it's place below the Corolla and Civic for reasons that include differences noted.
I agee that both the Civic and Corolla are probably more "refined" than the Forte, but so is the Hyundai Elantra. In fact, I'd rate the Elantra at or above the Civic in that regard. However, the Civic does have superb assembly quality/materials, mechanical reliability, and a good ride/handling combination.