Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new Scions coming: tC and iQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 11:47 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Scions coming: tC and iQ

Report: Scion to get stronger Stateside focus, two new models

by Jeremy Korzeniewski (RSS feed) on Jan 15th 2010 at 11:30AM

Despite the fact that Scion is a uniquely American invention for Toyota, only one of its current models – the rapidly aging tC coupe – was actually designed here in the States. Perhaps it shouldn't come as too big a surprise, then, that U.S. Scion sales are down by 49-percent compared to 2008 levels.

According to Automotive News, Yoshi Inaba, president of Toyota Motor North America, says that's all set to change in the near future as the youth-oriented Japanese brand draws up two new models that will be heavily influenced by American tastes. We certainly hope that doesn't mean bigger and unnecessarily bloated like the second-generation xB.

A redesigned tC model will reportedly come first, followed by the Scionized version of the mini-me Toyota iQ. Inaba didn't give any sort of timetable on new model launches and even said that the automaker hasn't yet determined what new vehicles will come after what's currently scheduled.

Whatever comes our way, it seems that we should expect Scion to continue marketing to a young audience. To that end, the company will continue to focus on innovative new technologies that will boost "connectivity," though that could have a number of differing meanings. We'll see what Toyota has in mind soon enough, as the redesigned tC is scheduled to go on sale later this year.
Old 01-15-10, 12:20 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally. All these RS models are nice and all but it does get annoying going to shopping plazas here in SoCal and seeing like 100 of them in a lot. They're as common as my Camry lol...
Old 01-15-10, 12:31 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

any spy pics of this new TC yet?
Old 01-15-10, 12:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I hope they still look like a baby G35 coupe ( first gen). I loved the shape ( as did many buyers) when it was released. I am sure with the popularity of the car they will not stray to much
Old 01-15-10, 01:00 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would have got one a couple of years ago but it wasn't offered in Canada and it couldn't be imported unless you wanted to reinforce the rear bumper.

nice little car though.
Old 01-15-10, 01:47 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I've always viewed the TC has the brand's flagship. Why it has been allowed to continue with the exact same face since 2004 (2005 MY) is beyond me.
Old 01-15-10, 06:54 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
any spy pics of this new TC yet?
I know that's what I clicked to see ...
Old 01-15-10, 07:26 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Any pics? I like the tC a lot, good loaks and a cheap price
Old 01-15-10, 07:30 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Finally. All these RS models are nice and all but it does get annoying going to shopping plazas here in SoCal and seeing like 100 of them in a lot. They're as common as my Camry lol...
Just like the mustang.. There everywhere..
Old 01-15-10, 09:41 PM
JessePS

Still sucks that the iQ still about a year away and its been on sale in Europe since 2007/08 I think.
Old 01-16-10, 02:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Have yet to see one shot or sketch of the next tC. Toyota is very tight-lipped on this, like always. I too hope they keep the overall shape. The tC has been a big success with the youngins and has the potential to keep going if they update it well. But shame on them for waiting this long. A new tC should have been out last year. I wonder how much money they actually saved when compared to lost sales.
Old 01-16-10, 02:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

from 2009 actually ;-)... and not sure if you would be willing to pay 16k-20k for iQ like we do.
Old 01-16-10, 08:24 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Just don't give the tC more power. Most people I see driving them are very erratic and generally kids. The last thing they need is a more powerful engine.
Old 01-16-10, 12:27 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
from 2009 actually ;-)... and not sure if you would be willing to pay 16k-20k for iQ like we do.
I've been following a couple of UK forums on the iQ and would expect it to do well here if it's a 1.5liter engine and well appointed. It shouldn't be considered an entry level car though and if appropriate Scion performance parts (such as springs, shocks, wheels, etc.) are available it would appeal to a wide age group.

I will consider it a companion to our GS to reduce the miles we put on it.
Old 01-17-10, 01:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JHStrange
I've been following a couple of UK forums on the iQ and would expect it to do well here if it's a 1.5liter engine and well appointed. It shouldn't be considered an entry level car though and if appropriate Scion performance parts (such as springs, shocks, wheels, etc.) are available it would appeal to a wide age group.

I will consider it a companion to our GS to reduce the miles we put on it.
well 1.33l makes 100hp... thats probably what you are getting... it will be faster car than CR-Z ;-)

It will be interesting to see what they will do to make the price more appropriate for Scion... because iQ could have easier been an Lexus than Scion. It was not an chance that AM selected iQ.

Quick Reply: new Scions coming: tC and iQ