Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hey guys i have a ? (personalized plates)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 08:38 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ LOL, for a truck that high,, your personalized plates have meaning AND utility!!
Old 01-09-10, 08:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

no issues here for years and years of driving with custom plates. its the driving not the plates. Seems like a bit of myth and urban legend.Why would the cops look at your car more closely with a personalized plate. Makes no sense guys. I think the cops would be more likely to look at my car because she looks hooked up
Old 01-09-10, 09:34 PM
Brent77
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
^^ LOL, for a truck that high,, your personalized plates have meaning AND utility!!
Haha yeah, it's a pavement pounder though. I had it on my 2nd car when I was like 15, just never got rid of it cause my Mom said that if I ever got rid of it she would put it on her car. I can't do that to a 51-year old woman...
Old 01-09-10, 11:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent77
Haha yeah, it's a pavement pounder though. I had it on my 2nd car when I was like 15, just never got rid of it cause my Mom said that if I ever got rid of it she would put it on her car. I can't do that to a 51-year old woman...
funny as hell. I like the plates but its like telling the world you either have drugs in the car or your driving in a dirty car. The truck is hardcore by the way. Slammed or lifted I like them worked. Nice ride man. It would turn my head if I saw you on the road
Old 01-10-10, 07:52 AM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
yep. if you can afford for a personal plate that just means you have the money to pay for the ticket, and then some more.
I dont how much they are in CA but there only $20 dollars in Pennsylvania and Ive had one for about 2 years with no problems
Old 01-10-10, 02:42 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I had personalized plate once and will never have one ever ever again! It's the worst idea.
Old 01-10-10, 03:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I had personalized plate once and will never have one ever ever again! It's the worst idea.
coz' of cops?
Old 01-10-10, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
coz' of cops?
Not just cops. If you accidentally (not intentionally) cut off, say a gang-member or a rough biker with your car, or p**s him off in any way, you certainly don't want an easy-to-remember license plate that he (and his gang) could be looking out for.
Old 01-10-10, 03:49 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
coz' of cops?
Just about everything. From cops to ricer in the civics. Like marshall said, it just attracted way too many unwanted attentions.

I think if you have personalized plate on something like Prius (which I commonly see a lot around the SF, and mostly about how green they are) I guess it's fine. Just depends on what you drive and how you drive the car, with personalized plate, can attracts unwanted attentions.
Old 01-10-10, 09:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Just about everything. From cops to ricer in the civics. Like marshall said, it just attracted way too many unwanted attentions.

I think if you have personalized plate on something like Prius (which I commonly see a lot around the SF, and mostly about how green they are) I guess it's fine. Just depends on what you drive and how you drive the car, with personalized plate, can attracts unwanted attentions.
I'll add, you guys are 100% correct. Anything that sets your car apart more from the norm, helps people and cops ID it easier. No one is a perfect driver and mistakes happen. As mentioned, you don't want a way for people to track you down.
As far as cops, I once had custom plates and I did get pulled over a few times. Without them, not once.
Old 01-10-10, 09:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a big fan of "vanity" plates myself, I can't be bothered.
Old 01-10-10, 09:45 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'll add, you guys are 100% correct. Anything that sets your car apart more from the norm, helps people and cops ID it easier. No one is a perfect driver and mistakes happen. As mentioned, you don't want a way for people to track you down.
As far as cops, I once had custom plates and I did get pulled over a few times. Without them, not once.
Hmmm. . . I've had personalized plates on almost all my cars for close to fifteen years now. Only time I got a ticket was a month after getting the IS F, but that obviously wasn't due to the plates.

IMHO, I don't think you stand out that much to cops with personalized plates. They'd be too busy looking at the whole car looking for any moving violations and not just staring at your plates.
Old 01-10-10, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol, given the kind of attention i am getting in my gs350 and m3, i can totally see what you mean!
Old 01-11-10, 08:43 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure here in Indiana, you have to go in to the DMV to order them, can't do it online. And it's decently expensive: Normal plate/registration costs + $48. Though they're fun, probably not worth the money in Indiana.
Old 01-11-10, 09:53 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have had personalized plates for four years here in the city and have never been pulled over for them in a bad way. Depends on what you put on the plate and how you carry yourself.

My plates actually worked well for me one day when an 18 wheeler gouged my left rear 1/4 panel at the Whitestone Bridge tollbooth. While sitting there waiting for the PAPD to show up and take the report (15 mins to first contact), someone driving by who recognized my plate called a mutual friend and the friend called me within 5 mins of the accident to make sure I was ok.

Quick Reply: hey guys i have a ? (personalized plates)