Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chris Bangle: Great cars are Art

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 01:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Didnt watch the youtube video yet, but a cars design is a form of art. I dont see how its not an art form. Its starts as an idea, then the original drawing, CAD model, 3D model, clay, production (doesnt have to be in that specific order, but you get the idea). A lot of industrial design programs usually coincide with art and architecture classes like at my college.

I too cant see it any other way

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
The man has done more for the automotive world than most designers could ever hope to achieve.
Hate or Love his designs, they do evoke passion.

Although the answer to the question I posed to start this thread is subjective, I think some people are still in the dark as to how the cars they love are actually made. imho thats the difference between people who like cars and car people. In my eyes I could never say that I was passionate about a car if I saw it only as a machine. If that was the case then why not get into washing machines or garage tools. To me the car does more than get from point A to point B. Its an extension of the driver. It is an expression of you and of the creator / designer. If cars were not art then they would all look the same imho

Many people are blind to what this man has done in his life and the influence on design and even the process of auotomotive design that he has had.

To each his own but to me great cars are ,and always will be, art

I am happy I started this thread but I hope more people can add more than insults about Chris Bangle . Open your eyes and you may learn something....with all due respect

Just added vdeo of a designer sketching (by hand an image of a vehicle) look like art to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G54mV...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOvvK...eature=related

Nissan global design studio making the G37 out of clay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lKg3...eature=related

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-08-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 07:32 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the whole video, and it was good, I am always fascinated by the design process that goes into a car. Of course cars are art, just there are different styles for different times, here are examples of some of the most iconic designs of all time...

Jaguar E type

Miura SV

Corvette stingray

Ferrari Daytona

Austin Healey 3000

I believe the 60's was the high point in car design, there was no need to worry about crash regulations, government standards etc...
That said, the next list is the modern designs I like the best and hope to own one of them someday, because I appreciate the original design so much.

Acura NSX

Mazda RX-7(FD)

Porsche 911(993)

Ferrari F355

Aston Martin DBS

To conclude, cars are ART!!!!
Old 01-08-10, 09:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I watched the whole video, and it was good, I am always fascinated by the design process that goes into a car. Of course cars are art, just there are different styles for different times, here are examples of some of the most iconic designs of all time...

Jaguar E type

Miura SV

Corvette stingray

Ferrari Daytona

Austin Healey 3000

I believe the 60's was the high point in car design, there was no need to worry about crash regulations, government standards etc...
That said, the next list is the modern designs I like the best and hope to own one of them someday, because I appreciate the original design so much.

Acura NSX

Mazda RX-7(FD)

Porsche 911(993)

Ferrari F355

Aston Martin DBS

To conclude, cars are ART!!!!
Right on man !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing the pics, your point of view, and actually watching the video