Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looks like (Maybe) another Extended-Warranty Scam

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Looks like (Maybe) another Extended-Warranty Scam

Have any of you recently gotten a black-on-white foldover/sealed "Service Contract Expiration" notice with a 1-866-364-3336 call-back number on it (There have been a number of consumer complaints of Do-Not-Call telemarketer phone-call harassments from the same number). This envelope is cleverly printed, arranged, folded, and sealed to look and feel like an official recall notice from the manufacturer (and yes, I know what official recall/manufacturer extended-warranty notices look like). It's marked "Time Sensitive", has your name/address and a bar code on it, and even a so-called "warning" of Federal action for those who interfere with it (the Postal Service investigators are going to have a field day with this one). It has NO return address except a first-class mailing from St. Louis, MO. No details are given about the plan's programs (or the optional "Platinum" program) except for a few vague generalities.

This appears to be similiar to a noted scam that Federal officials shut down last year in St. Charles, MO......not far from St. Louis. It's possible that these same people (or a similiar replacement company) is at it again.

I don't have the ability to scan and copy it, but here's a web site on the subject....the part I copied and posted is pretty similiar to what I got....except that mine, of course, was for a Subaru, not a GM product.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/8663643336

866-364-3336 - Like everyone else, received an official looking letter in the mail today, claiming it was from General Motors.

Came from:
Presorted
Standard Mail
U.S. Postage Paid
St. Louis, MO
Permit No. 1361

On the front, it states:
"REQUEST FOR IMMEDIATE ACTION - TIME SENSITIVE MATERIAL ENCLOSED - WARNING; $2000 FINE, 5 YEARS IMPRISONMENT, OR BOTH FOR ANY PERSON INTERFERING OR OBSTRUCTING WITH DELIVERY OF THIS LETTER. U.S. MAIL TTT.18 U.S. CODE"

Inside it states:
"CALL 866-364-3336 TO EXTEND YOUR VEHICLE'S COVERAGE"

Amazingly, it has NO mention of which PARTICULAR vehicle they are referring to... Morons.

Reporting this to the BBB of St. Louis, MO, as well as to the U.S. Postal Service Fraud Division. Also, the USPS HAS to release the info on who owns Permit No. 1361, if requisitioned in writing and a complaint is filed against said organization, which I WILL be doing.

I HIGHLY suggest that others do EXACTLY the same IMMEDIATELY.
The only way to get a SCAMMER to stop, is to Report them each time.

NEVER just throw Junk/Scam mail away. Research it & Report it.
Caller ID: 866-364-3336

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-05-10 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 03:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't get mails, but I do get annoying phone calls. It's usually an answering machine of some sort tell me my warranty will be ending soon. My car hasn't had warranty in over 6 years
Old 01-05-10, 03:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the heads up buddy. The rest of us will need to keep our eyes open. I work in a retirement community so I am very aware of mail or phone scams..