Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Class Action suit against Toyota/Lexus

Old 01-05-10, 01:13 PM
Tony320
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class Action suit against Toyota/Lexus

Saw a commercial looking for class action plaintiffs against toyota/lexus and wondered if anyone here had seen this? I think I remember somebody here complaining about a runaway car at one point. Here's the link anyway:

http://www.usautoinjurylaw.com/cases...FSkHswodCg91JQ

Toyota and Lexus Recall, Sudden Acceleration & Lawsuits: Free Case Review

On August 28, 2009, off-duty California Highway Patrolman Mark Saylor and three members of his family died in a Lexus ES 350 that accelerated to more than 100 mph and crashed in San Diego County. Toyota has asserted that the crash was due to an incorrectly installed floor mat that jammed the accelerator pedal.

In September 2009, Toyota announced a recall of 3.8 million vehicles and is designing a fix aimed at preventing sudden acceleration caused by floor mats. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has called the issue a "very dangerous problem" and said the remedy remains to be determined.

The recall affects the following Toyota models: the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2004-2009 Prius, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2005-2010 Tacoma and the 2007-2010 Tundra, as well as the 2007-2010 Lexus ES 350 and the 2006-2010 Lexus IS 250 and IS 350.

Has Toyota Identified the Reason Why Its Cars Are Suddenly Accelerating and Crashing?

More than 1,000 Toyota and Lexus owners have reported since 2001 that their vehicles suddenly accelerated on their own. The crashes resulted in at least 19 deaths and scores of injuries over the last decade. The number of accidents may be far higher, as a 2007 NHTSA survey of 600 Lexus owners that found that 10% complained they had experienced sudden acceleration.

The types of sudden-acceleration complaints included many types of incidents unrelated to the floor mat, such as when drivers said they were unable to stop runaway cars using their brakes; incidents of unintended acceleration lasting more than a few seconds; and acceleration during use of the cruise control which could not be stopped by braking.

Toyota Recall Attorneys | Lawyers

Lieff Cabraser is investigating multiple fatal accidents involving Toyota and Lexus cars. Persons injured in accidents involving Toyota and Lexus vehicles that suddenly accelerated who would like to learn more about their legal rights are welcome to contact an attorney at Lieff Cabraser by clicking here. There is no charge or obligation for our review of your case.
Old 01-05-10, 01:15 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ambulance chasers, no real surprise there.
Old 01-05-10, 02:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

trial lawyers will do anything to chase stuff like this
Old 01-05-10, 07:59 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Surprised it took this long.
Old 01-05-10, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

On August 28, 2009, off-duty California Highway Patrolman Mark Saylor and three members of his family died in a Lexus ES 350 that accelerated to more than 100 mph and crashed in San Diego County. Toyota has asserted that the crash was due to an incorrectly installed floor mat that jammed the accelerator pedal.
Here we have a State Trooper (assuming he was driving), and he didn't know enough to simply turn off the ignition or start/stop button (one or two notches, so the column doesn't lock) well before the car reached 100 MPH? Yes, he would have lost the power steering (on a hydraulic-pump ES350, if it was not electric), and, after the booster's reserve vaccum was gone, the power brakes, and the car might have been difficult to control (with the engine off, that can be harder than you think). But even that is preferable to a 100-MPH impact. I'm not necessarily going to point fingers here (I occasionally make mistakes myself)....but, IMO, it's strange that someone who (presumably) makes his living in a police cruiser, and regularly trains for driving emergencies, would not have done the instinctively common-sense thing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-05-10 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 01:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here we have a State Trooper (assuming he was driving), and he didn't know enough to simply turn off the ignition or start/stop button (one or two notches, so the column doesn't lock) well before the car reached 100 MPH? Yes, he would have lost the power steering (on a hydraulic-pump ES350, if it was not electric), and, after the booster's reserve vaccum was gone, the power brakes, and the car might have been difficult to control (with the engine off, that can be harder than you think). But even that is preferable to a 100-MPH impact. I'm not necessarily going to point fingers here (I occasionally make mistakes myself)....but, IMO, it's strange that someone who (presumably) makes his living in a police cruiser, and regularly trains for driving emergencies, would not have done the instinctively common-sense thing.
well i would not turn off the car either, just placed it in Neutral... it cant be any easier than that. I think they were in panic mode, trying to turn off the vehicle (you have to hold start/stop for 3 seconds).

It is sad story, i take it in same sense as when you hear about grown man drowing in 4ft high water (it happens!), your brain is overloaded with panic, you cant think straight.
Old 01-06-10, 04:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well i would not turn off the car either, just placed it in Neutral... it cant be any easier than that. I think they were in panic mode, trying to turn off the vehicle (you have to hold start/stop for 3 seconds).

It is sad story, i take it in same sense as when you hear about grown man drowing in 4ft high water (it happens!), your brain is overloaded with panic, you cant think straight.
Exactly!!!!
The cop is trained for emergency situations and he panicked.

I told my wife and kids to don't panic and put the car in neutral if they ever have a problem.
Old 01-06-10, 06:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

also forgetting the dealer installed RX450h mats into an ES350 loaner
Old 01-06-10, 06:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree. Unfortunately, that's why they are called "accidents".
Old 01-06-10, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I agree.....putting it in neutral is another good option, though it may cook the engine if it goes way over redline and there's no way to stop it. Still, a cooked engine is probably better than a 100-MPH impact.
Old 01-06-10, 10:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I agree.....putting it in neutral is another good option, though it may cook the engine if it goes way over redline and there's no way to stop it. Still, a cooked engine is probably better than a 100-MPH impact.
Yes, neutral in a "loaner car" to save lives is far better than 100mph impact, not to mention that the rev limiter will save the engine from getting cooked.
Old 01-09-10, 12:23 AM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the dealer today to buy some Lexus OEM all weather floor mats for my new HS250h. They told me they were no longer selling those mats due to the investigations over the sudden acceleration, which Lexus/Toyota claimed were caused by the floor mats. I don't believe the floor mats caused the problem, but I can't buy them anyway!
Old 01-09-10, 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by benfb
I went to the dealer today to buy some Lexus OEM all weather floor mats for my new HS250h. They told me they were no longer selling those mats due to the investigations over the sudden acceleration, which Lexus/Toyota claimed were caused by the floor mats. I don't believe the floor mats caused the problem, but I can't buy them anyway!
Don't waste your money on custom OEM rubber mats. You can go to Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, etc... or any decent auto-parts store (even discount department stores like K-Mart, Target, and Wal-Mart), and get good rubber mats for a small fraction of the dealer price. Usually there is a color choice between blue, tan, black, and clear. They don't have the hole for the hook that holds them, of course, but I've never had any problems with them interfering with the gas pedal.