Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac CTS Tops Consumer Reports' Tests of 5 Luxury Sedans ......

Old 01-05-10, 05:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back on topic, CR did mention in the article the Cadillacs reliability.
Old 01-05-10, 06:12 PM
LexFather

the rl is such a failure it's sad and they shoulld just kill it the beatings r no longe funny. The CTS seems to be the only tweener to b a legitimately battle the next class up. The es tl and g37 have been left behind by it. Amazing what Caddy has done here!!

I can see why they made those comments on the HS so won't argue.

Old 01-05-10, 07:54 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe MB sells the E-Class at $55,245 with a 268-hp engine. That's pathetic.

Yet the RL is overpriced, unacceptable, and bashed constantly for "only" having a V6 with 300 hp at $50K.

As for the CTS, yeah it's impressive. I loved driving it and just being in it was a pleasure.
Old 01-05-10, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
es.

Obviously it's off-topic, but the ES350 is plenty soft-riding with so-handling. I drove it extensively for 10 days in a variety of suburban, highway, mountain road and commute conditions. Lexus seems to know what they are doing with this car as it continues to sell at a brisk rate each month.
Yes, I agree the ES350 is off-topic, but that is partly my fault....I confused it, in an earlier post, with the topic-generated Mercedes E350. So, I'll take the rap for that one.

I've got plenty to say about the ES350 chassis (both good and bad), but I'll leave that for another thread.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-05-10 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 08:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I can't believe MB sells the E-Class at $55,245 with a 268-hp engine. That's pathetic.

Yet the RL is overpriced, unacceptable, and bashed constantly for "only" having a V6 with 300 hp at $50K.

As for the CTS, yeah it's impressive. I loved driving it and just being in it was a pleasure.
Good point about the RL....I agree it is often bashed for trivial reasons. And its overall build quality, IMO, blows the Mercedes away....except for the Mercedes safety-feame/roll cage.

The E-class, of course, does offer V8 (and AMG) versions...at higher prices, of course (I recently reviewed a new E550). An E63 AMG can run 100K or more...and it has enough power to pull a freight train. The 2008 version I reviewed was one of the most powerful, if not THE most powerful sedan I've driven in recent years.
Old 01-05-10, 10:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Regarding the RL versus E-class, the E-class is outselling the RL at a rate of 25 to 1. The RL is essentially an automotive business failure. If there are a few that don't see why, one of us will gladly explain later since the list will be rather long despite the horsepower difference.
Old 01-06-10, 05:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed.....and, for the most part, there's no need for it to be about numbers. Most people don't buy their cars that way (acceleration, braking distances, skidpad figures, etc....), but on comfort, reliability, looks, and versatility. For them, the only "numbers" with ant real meaning are the EPA mileage figures.

There are some "numbers" involved, in the sense that CR assigns so many points to each car for ride, handling, quietmness, acceleration, braking, fit/finish, etc.....Other car magazines, to an extent, do the same thing.
If it’s not about numbers, then it’s not scientific. If it’s not scientific, then it is subject to personal opinion and bias. You do know what they say about a opinion, it is like a #@*hole, everybody has one
Imagine what the result would be if NASA use personal opinion to navigate thru space
Old 01-06-10, 05:38 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
What are the criteria for CR's test and where are the test numbers? I would place the CTS in 3rd or 4th place, but certainly not 1st. If CR place the M35 as their top luxury sedan, they really need to re-evaluate their testing and rating system.
CR uses mostly objective data to come to a conclusion. They are not car enthusiasts. Generally speaking, the car with the most features for the cheapest price, wins.
Old 01-06-10, 05:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
They are not car enthusiasts. Generally speaking, the car with the most features for the cheapest price, wins.
Then Hyundai would win everytime.
Old 01-06-10, 09:38 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
Then Hyundai would win everytime.
Yes, when Hyundai is tested by CR against its competition, they win every time.
Old 01-06-10, 12:03 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Yes, when Hyundai is tested by CR against its competition, they win every time.
I rest my case
Old 01-06-10, 01:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The only Hyundai vehicles that rank at the top of their competitive set are the Genesis and Elantra (tied with Civic). Others, no.
Old 01-06-10, 01:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If I was going to actually buy an American car (eewww) it would only be the CTS. I like the malibu but its competition for the accord and camary. I like a bit more style and luxury in what I drive
Old 01-06-10, 04:29 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good point about the RL....I agree it is often bashed for trivial reasons. And its overall build quality, IMO, blows the Mercedes away....except for the Mercedes safety-feame/roll cage.
Sitting in a car for a few minutes or driving them for a few hours does not give one an accurate picture of "build quality". Longterm ownership does.
Old 01-06-10, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
Sitting in a car for a few minutes or driving them for a few hours does not give one an accurate picture of "build quality". Longterm ownership does.
No, it won't tell you how long necessarily the engine or transmission will last with normal use, but you can learn a LOT from a good overview and test-drive. Even back in the late 60's, when I was a teen-ager (I did my first formal review in 1970), I could tell that GM and Ford products, in general, had better sheet metal, better overall assembly quality, and used better interial materials than Chrysler or AMC products. Chrysler, though, was known for the durability of its six-cylinders, small V8s, and the Torqueflite automatic transmission.....something that, as you note, can only be proved with the test of time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cadillac CTS Tops Consumer Reports' Tests of 5 Luxury Sedans ......